PDA

View Full Version : Phone charging issues

pcuser42
27-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Is there any explanation as to why my HTC Trophy is able to charge off most chargers but can't charge from others?

Two chargers I know of couldn't charge my phone: one was a Samsung charger which put out 4.4V and 400mA (which is outside USB spec anyway), and a Belkin mains-to-USB adapter which gave out 5V and 1A, even though every other charger I tried that also gave out 1A worked fine...

Slankydudl
27-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Possibly either too low or too high amperage or different pins being used for power than standard.

Terry Porritt
28-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Possibly either too low or too high amperage or different pins being used for power than standard.

Having a greater current rating than required will not mean a greater current flow to the phone or device. Too low a current rating would indeed cause the power supply to be overloaded, probably resulting in it overheating and/or giving reduced voltage to the device.

pcuser42
28-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Having a greater current rating than required will not mean a greater current flow to the phone or device. Too low a current rating would indeed cause the power supply to be overloaded, probably resulting in it overheating and/or giving reduced voltage to the device.

And besides, it doesn't explain why my phone couldn't charge of the Belkin charger, which has the same rating as the stock charger...

(Pretty sure it works fine, my girlfriend uses it to charge her iPod)

dugimodo
28-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Some devices (especially fruity ones) use the data pins to identify the proper chargers and won't charge if the right signal is not detected on them. It's possible HTC play a similar game. I've also heard it mentioned that some devices look for a short on these pins (or something like that) to indicate whether a charger can put out more than the 500mA that USB is rated at and then enable fast charging.

I've seen mods online to make iPods charge from other chargers, usually by adding a couple of resistors between pins.
You'd expect a charger to simply suply 5V to the correct pins and any device with the same plug to charge from it, unfortunately some manufacturers don't like that Idea.

My Logitech cordless headphones, Kindle, and Galaxy S, all use each others chargers perfectly, and work form a generic warehouse USB car charger also :)

Billy T
29-06-2012, 08:56 PM
You'd expect a charger to simply supply 5V to the correct pins and any device with the same plug to charge from it, unfortunately some manufacturers don't like that Idea.

Navman does that too; if you don't use their charging/data lead you can't access the device. Similarly some card readers won't work, or in one case, it showed three separate drive letters, only one of which worked. That turned out OK for me, because I took it back to DSE and they gave me a different Reader, then told me I could keep the faulty one because they'd just throw it in the bin anyway.

I now have the different types of USB leads colour coded with tape to show which ones work with what device.

B. stupid if you ask me, I thought USB was meant to be a standard.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Burnzee
16-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi

As stated above, some devices need a small voltage on their + Data and - Data lines. This is acheived by using four resistors. Check out this EXCELLENT TUTORIAL (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-get-your-iPod-to-charge-with-your-homemade-/) for proper explaination and guide to make your own. It's for an Ipod Charger but works with other devices as well.

Burnzee

pcuser42
16-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi

As stated above, some devices need a small voltage on their + Data and - Data lines. This is acheived by using four resistors. Check out this EXCELLENT TUTORIAL (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-get-your-iPod-to-charge-with-your-homemade-/) for proper explaination and guide to make your own. It's for an Ipod Charger but works with other devices as well.

Burnzee

My phone charges just fine when only the power lines are connected, it charges perfectly from a PowerFort using the included cable (which I discovered had only power wires).

Burnzee
18-07-2012, 07:02 PM
My phone charges just fine when only the power lines are connected, it charges perfectly from a PowerFort using the included cable (which I discovered had only power wires).

The PowerFort charges all Apple products - try one - therefore it's not too amazing that it also charges Smart Phones etc. After all, that is what it was designed for.

I think you are mistaken about the cable having only power lines connected. How do you know this?

Got this from the PowerFort website:

"The 2-in-1 USB cable Charging and Sync cable utilizes an interlocking design that uniquely allows access to all 2 connectors giving you maximum compatibility for most mobile devices needing Micro and 30 pin adapter ensures compatibility with most Apple devices including the iPhone, iPod and iPad"

If this is true of your cable then the Data Lines are present. Simple test. Using the cable in question, plug it into a usb port on the computer and the other end into your phone. The computer should detect the phone. If this happens, it proves the Data Lines are present. Note if the phone is not detected this is NOT proof the Data Lines are not connected!! Most of us have had a USB problem in the past so this is nothing new. A Continuity Test would be conclusive but a little harder to perform.

Burnzee

pcuser42
18-07-2012, 09:48 PM
I think you are mistaken about the cable having only power lines connected. How do you know this?

Usually when plugged into a computer which is then turned off, but power remains to the USB ports, my phone stops charging. Using that particular cable, it continued charging when the computer was switched off. Also, data devices wouldn't work. :p

Said cable is also microUSB so wouldn't work with an iDevice anyway.

gary67
19-07-2012, 08:31 AM
(Pretty sure it works fine, my girlfriend uses it to charge her iPod)

There is the problem, get a vivid pen and put an i before HTC and it might charge it (iHTC)