PDA

View Full Version : TV7

Poppa John
25-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi All.
So TV7 in its present form will be no more in a few days.
Why is it that government , of any hue, tend to destroy anything that is good? PJ

goodiesguy
26-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Because John Key is a dick, and so is the government.

paulw
26-06-2012, 09:52 AM
I notice the the Gov still can pump $50 mil / year into 2 race based Maori TV channels. Guess if your not Maori in this country and you want something other than a diet of reality tv, cooking shows, Coro St or crime then you have to pay Sky $50 + / month now..

Nick G
26-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I notice the the Gov still can pump $50 mil / year into 2 race based Maori TV channels. Guess if your not Maori in this country and you want something other than a diet of reality tv, cooking shows, Coro St or crime then you have to pay Sky $50 + / month now..
And TV3

bk T
26-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Re Maori TV, how many people in NZ understands that language, including those Maoris?

dugimodo
26-06-2012, 11:18 AM
TV7 never interested me, I watched maybe an hour of it in total since launch. I still regret it going because I like to have choices.
However I just don't think it was popular enough to stay, which is unfortunate for those that like it but a commercial reality.

I have no Idea how popular the Maori channels are, but I suspect they have more viewers than 7 did. Even if not, something Maori do very well is make their objections known if someone tries to take something away from them. I respect the desire to preserve the language and culture personally, even if I don't share it.

Perhaps if TV7s viewers were as vocal in their objections it would have been different.

CliveM
26-06-2012, 11:38 AM
TV7 never interested me, I watched maybe an hour of it in total since launch. I still regret it going because I like to have choices.
However I just don't think it was popular enough to stay, which is unfortunate for those that like it but a commercial reality.

I have no Idea how popular the Maori channels are, but I suspect they have more viewers than 7 did. Even if not, something Maori do very well is make their objections known if someone tries to take something away from them. I respect the desire to preserve the language and culture personally, even if I don't share it.

Perhaps if TV7s viewers were as vocal in their objections it would have been different.

+1 you have summed it up rather well. TV7s problem is that very few people actually watched it or wanted to. Why should the tax payers pay for the enjoyment of very few of their number.

paulw
26-06-2012, 01:32 PM

The Maoris have a political party that makes sure all things maori are funded by the tax payer but TVNZ 7 views don't. Guess you haven't seen the protest marches about the closes or the public meetings in the news recently??

26-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Perhaps if they had enough actual viewers....
:-)

ruup
26-06-2012, 06:19 PM
So they can dumb you down... name me one serious investigative show on mainstream TV that plays in at a peak time? There would probably be more viewers watching TV7 than the Maori channels

bellbird
26-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Anyone think the Plus One channel which replaces TV7 is a good idea? Bring back Alt TV!

paulw
26-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I guess TVNZ and Mediaworks haven't heard if DVRs or the like and that there is no good need for +1 channels..

WalOne
26-06-2012, 09:14 PM
All the +1 channels are about is: the channels are protecting (grandfather rights) their rights to single channel numbers. Without the (shock horror) infrastructure to actually having to give consumers a real ... dare we say it ... CHOICE?

Twelvevolts
26-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Gee - people are still watching content on the free to air TV channels.

If you're lucky Maori TV +1 is next, then maybe a dedicated Master Chef channel.

Must dash - off to watch a BBC doco on the internet.

Erayd
27-06-2012, 12:29 AM
What most people seem to forget is that TV7 was never intended to be funded indefinitely by the government. When it was first set up, it was given a fixed amount of funding, on the condition that it must become self-sufficient (i.e. commercially viable) before the funding ran out. It was also spelled out very clearly that they wouldn't be getting any more.

Now the money has run out, and TV7 clearly hasn't been able to meet its side of the agreement. As a result, it's going off-air.

I can't see how this can be interpreted as the government destroying something - to me, it looks more like a failure on TV7's part.

PaulD
27-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Now the money has run out, and TV7 clearly hasn't been able to meet its side of the agreement. As a result, it's going off-air.

I can't see how this can be interpreted as the government destroying something - to me, it looks more like a failure on TV7's part.

You are kidding aren't you?

"When the decision was made by the Labour-led government of Helen Clark in 2006 that TVNZ's two new digital channels TVNZ 6 and TVNZ 7 should be funded for six years, some thought was given to how they might continue.

One idea was that once they had built an audience, they would have a value to the pay broadcaster Sky.

But in the event, TVNZ allowed Sky to have TVNZ 6 and TVNZ 7 on its platform for no payment. For this survival plan to have worked, regulation would have been needed requiring Sky not only to carry these channels but also to pay for them.

The Labour-led government's review of broadcasting would have considered regulation but it moved too slowly and was quickly shut down by the incoming National government in 2008. " http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/perspective/6884979/Saving-TVNZ-7-is-in-public-interest

TVNZ had no interest in promoting a non commercial public service style channel at the expense of its commercial channels.

Erayd
27-06-2012, 10:31 AM
No, I'm not kidding - what makes you think I was? My post was pretty unambiguous.

Your post (particularly the quoted section) also seems to say almost exactly the same thing as mine.