PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop Yahoo-Xtra from pre-processing my email?

Billy T
25-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi Team

My missing emails saga rocks on, the only difference being tthat I now know where to look to find it. It is automatically ending up in the Y/E trash folder and if I open web-mail, there it is.

I don't want Y/E to process my mail at all, not spam, not junk mail, not lottery wins, just do nothing beyond accepting it into my inbox and letting me download it. Mailwasher will look after the rest of it.

I have looked everywhere I could find on the Webmail page but can't find any means to manually control this, so I'm guessing that I am looking in the wrong place, bur where else can I go?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

mikebartnz
25-06-2012, 10:26 PM
bur where else can I go?
Gmail.:D
The Y/E spam filter is absolute crap and I know quite a few that have had major troubles with it. It has probably changed too much since I last sorted someone out.

fred_fish
25-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I still think the (mis)configuration of mailwasher is your problem.
Have you tried not using it for a week and see how much mail goes "missing"?

inphinity
25-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Unless you have custom rules setup, YahooXtra mail does not automatically put anything in the trash, only Spam. Under Mail Options > POP & Forwarding, you can have it download spam when you POP the mailbox anyway.

GameJunkie
25-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Gmail

mikebartnz
25-06-2012, 10:55 PM
put anything in the trash, only Spam.
Well I would say that is something especially considering how bad their spam filter is.

GameJunkie
25-06-2012, 11:24 PM
surely thunderbird would be better than mailwasher???

adslgeek
25-06-2012, 11:31 PM
I didn't know what I was missing till I moved to Gmail.

Once you've gone G, you ain't going back.

fred_fish
25-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Once you've gone G, you ain't going back.

That is truer than you think. :)

adslgeek
26-06-2012, 12:27 AM
That is truer than you think. :)

Haha.

I also agree mailwasher configuration probably to blame?

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Yeah I'll second using Google Apps for your Domain mail :)

inphinity
26-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Well I would say that is something especially considering how bad their spam filter is.

It's actually surprisingly effective - I would say only Gmail provide a more effective spam filter. It's a mile ahead of most ISPs offerings. Regardless, Billy doesn't want to use it, so it's effectiveness is irrelevant.

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Regardless, Billy doesn't want to use it, so it's effectiveness is irrelevant.

Eh, I figure if we nag him enough then eventually his curiosity will peak and he'll wanna give it a try ;)

..that or we'll all just really piss him off somewhat :p

mikebartnz
26-06-2012, 10:37 AM
It's actually surprisingly effective - I would say only Gmail provide a more effective spam filter. It's a mile ahead of most ISPs offerings. Regardless, Billy doesn't want to use it, so it's effectiveness is irrelevant.
It may have improved but at one time I knew of several people that were having major trouble with numerous valid emails getting classed as spam and not realising what was happening until I showed them how to use web mail to check. Very unusual for GMail to do so.

26-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Yahoo-Xtra can be easily disabled, should be disabled. Ive had no problems like yours since I disabled yahoo's spam filter.
Yes , my email is occasionly delayed a few days, but thats just Yahoo's POS service.

Telecom domain email is not the same as yahoo/xtra email, is it a domain email or a @xtra.co.nz email a/c ??