PDA

View Full Version : Standards for PC specs?

adslgeek
25-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Hey there

I am trying to add to my troubleshooter a PC analysis tool which gives an easy guide to whether a PC is old/slow etc

So I was trying to find an authoritative listing (ideally one that gets updated regularly) for what is reasonable for PC, CPU and RAM specs.

Any help would be really appreciated.

wainuitech
25-06-2012, 07:36 PM
How long is a piece of string ???

Meaning a PC that has certain specs for general day to day email, web browsing etc, will be a lot lower than one used for Gaming, High powered graphic work or Video editing etc.

Theres so many combinations its not funny.

Thats where experience comes in, generally by looking at the spec's of a PC that you are working on, and comparing to the tasks it needs to do, you can tell if its under or over powered.

Nick G
25-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Post the specs here, as well as what he uses it for.

adslgeek
25-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Nah I was meaning more of a general guide for modern PCs.

Eg I only have 512k RAM and it's not really that usable.

I remember seeing a "PC buyer guide page" that said what is deemed slow, medium and fast by modern standards.

It doesn't need to be perfect, more of a guide.

Nomad
25-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Well being a non gamer and just want sometihng that does the job :p
With that said me thinks for general for a bit of everything. i5 cpu of what ghz no idea, 4GB, 1TB perhaps and whatever is the avg video card like a Nvidia 9800 equiv, dunno what they are now, hope that helps. Maybe a 22" screen. DVDRW blah blah ..

For someone who just need for basics, myself included and my peers.
Maybe just a i3, 4GB, 500Gb or 1TB, 22" screen, builtin video. DVDRW.

Nick G
25-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Ok
I don't know what you're budget is but for a 'reasonable' pc (one that can handle some games and stuff, but not crysis 2) would be
4gb Ram
i5 2500k
hdd size 500gb +
I don't know about the graphics card, but don't skimp on it if you want to play games
A cheaper SSD if you can afford it?
But, as wainuitech said, how can you define good specs.

stratex5
25-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Why dont you code your own. You could use radio buttons to give selections like gaming office use ect. Then get it to find specs and compare with a database.

stratex5
25-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Addition to above...

Then you could give recommendations to which components should be upgraded. Also giving more options would make readings accurate. also to updating database, you could get it to update automatically online.

i think ive given you plenty of options:)

adslgeek
25-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Why dont you code your own. You could use radio buttons to give selections like gaming office use ect. Then get it to find specs and compare with a database.

Yep that's the idea! :-) I was thinking it could rate a PC on average of components as suitable for standard use or gaming etc but I have a bucket of modules that I need to wrote into it... :-\

stratex5
25-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Or this is probibily point less but you could just use microsofts system index and rate from that.

Chilling_Silence
25-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Considering the "average joe" that might find it useful will *not* be a hardcore gamer, I'd say that's relatively easy actually!

Low-end / budget system:
Dual-core 1.6Ghz Atom
1GB RAM
5400rpm 2.5" (Laptop) HDD

Mid-range "ideal for most" system:
Dual-core 2.0Ghz
2 -> 4GB RAM
7200RPM HDD

High-end "For gamers" system:
Dual-core 3.0Ghz+
4GB -> 8GB RAM
Solid-state drive

"Ancient" really old system
Single-core < 1.8Ghz
< 1GB RAM

Keep in mind though that most people on your website will find the "Mid-range" system is actually quite fast, as long as they're not bogged down by a ton of stupid apps that are running.
For the better part, a freshly formatted "budget" system will perform quite happily for a lot of people, with the upgrade to 2GB of RAM making it all that much better. For most browsing / word-processing / facebook games, it's quite sufficient, which is why Netbooks were so popular for a while. Yeah they couldn't game, but that was about it. Most Facebook games and the likes still work fine, and for the "average joe" home user, that's probably who's going to be reading your website, that's directly applicable :)

icow
25-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Yep that's the idea! :-) I was thinking it could rate a PC on average of components as suitable for standard use or gaming etc but I have a bucket of modules that I need to wrote into it... :-\

Take a stock component e.g. Core 2 Duo E6600 and give it a base score of 1, then compare it to say an i5 2500k on a standard pre-existing benchmark like passmark or fps in say crysis. Say the e6600 runs crysis at 100fps (lol) and the 2500k at 160 give the 2500k a score of 1.6. Similar process for gpu's. Add all the scores up for an end score and give each gb of ram say 0.25 score or something (theres probably stats somewhere that would tell you the difference ram makes proportionally). You should be able to write a simple code that could take scores straight from an online source (depending on the formatting) or from a text document and/or a database, allowing users to manually update the scores. Shouldn't be too hard. I might give a it a crack later tonight :)

plod
25-06-2012, 09:52 PM
PC perspective have a leader board with different levels of systems
http://pcper.com/hwlb

gary67
25-06-2012, 10:03 PM
I run 2 identical socket 775 computers same processor one with 1Gb RAM the other with 4Gb as it is used for CAD. The 1 Gb is on XP home the 4Gb is Win7 home and actually there is no speed difference between them doing normal stuff en fact the XP one boots up quicker by about 3 secs and this one I'm using now is a single core Atom with Win7 starter and 1Gb RAM it is noticebly slower to use but boots quicker than both desktops.

So as Wainui says specs are not everything it's more what your doing with it and how well you have it trimmed back as to what runs which makes the difference

Nomad
25-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Chill, got a ideal system from your selection. It is a 3Ghz I though but, it is dual core, 1GB RAM, does pretty good at least on WinXP. Never bogged us down and we use it for Office app, the net and youtube.

Hey why the dualcores and 2GB ram. Thought he may had wanted something current. Do they do any dual cores anymore now apart from the Atoms :confused: :p
The 3Ghz dual core was maybe 5yrs old :D

Slankydudl
25-06-2012, 10:55 PM
microsofts system index is terrible. my friend with his old computer with intel core 2 duo 4gb ram ddr2 and got only 1 point less than be (description)

adslgeek
26-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Guys that is awesome!

I have thought to run a JavaScript benchmarks test (eg swap multiple images, make lots of complex maths calcs) to give a rough idea of how the browser and CPU are working, as I capture all installed and running apps then that could trigger a separate alert (eg you should uninstall or stop the startup for some of the crud).

But the base measurement of CPU and RAM could be measured and graded - Chill I love the categories too that is a good way of classifying it (eg home / Gamer etc).

There is so much to code, and such little time! :)

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2012, 09:29 AM
That's not a bad idea, but if you're really targeting the market who are going to be asking that question, then something like the Sunspider results won't mean didly squat.

What if you did something slight different, like "Time to launch CityVille" or "Handles this many browser tabs happily"?
The thing is the CPU is probably the least utilized, whereas the RAM will make the most difference for the majority of home users. Aside from that, it comes down to HDD speed, fragmentation, and stupid-ass toolbars / add-ons slowing the system down ;)

dugimodo
26-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Horses for courses for sure, as a gamer I upgrade frequently and try to stay ahead of new game requirements so I can play whatever I like.
However I built a general purpose machine for my sister on a tight budget a few years back and it's still performing very well for them. It was a $300 upgrade and is something like an athlon x2 4200+ with 2GB of RAM which was chosen by price. They still see no reason to upgrade.

I'd say for an average user these days any dual core over 2Ghz and 2GB+ of RAM is sufficient, with each persons usage needing to be taken into account.
To some degree hardware has got ahead of software in terms of performance, a several year old Athlon x2 or core 2 duo is still a good CPU for general purpose computing. Even my Pentium 4 3.2Ghz machine with 1.5GB of RAM I use to experiment with runs XP pretty well if you don't overdo the multitasking.

That said I'd still put 4GB into any new machine just because it's a small difference in price and quite noticeably better in some applications.

26-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Nah I was meaning more of a general guide for modern PCs.
Eg I only have 512k RAM and it's not really that usable.

Modern PC's, or actual PC's in use by home users & companies ??

My work PC is oooold, P4 1G Ram
But is easily fast enough to run XP & Office 2003 at a good speed.
Being 3Ghz & XP , it runs Win 'faster' than some 'modern' PC's on Vista/Win7

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2012, 04:42 PM
My work PC is oooold, P4 1G Ram
But is easily fast enough to run XP & Office 2003 at a good speed.
Being 3Ghz & XP , it runs Win 'faster' than some 'modern' PC's on Vista/Win7

Yeah exactly! For the basics of browsing and things, even older machines are more than capable. Realistically it's gamers, high-end productivity (Such as CAD or Photo editing), and other such things that need a faster machine.
Browsing requirements are still pretty low, though RAM usage has increased with Flash and multiple tabs becoming so prevalent as a browsing habit.

That, and using something like Chrome over IE makes a *massive* difference.

Nick G
26-06-2012, 05:02 PM
That, and using something like Chrome over IE makes a *massive* difference.

And not just on resources :p

Slankydudl
26-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Maybe look at software called geek bench it does alot of what you want.

mikebartnz
26-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Ok
I don't know what you're budget is but for a 'reasonable' pc (one that can handle some games and stuff, but not crysis 2) would be
4gb Ram
i5 2500k
hdd size 500gb +
I don't know about the graphics card, but don't skimp on it if you want to play games
A cheaper SSD if you can afford it?
But, as wainuitech said, how can you define good specs.
Please read the original post.:groan:

Nick G
26-06-2012, 07:32 PM
I did. A reasonable PC if you have no budget to upgrade is going to be different to what is a reasonable PC is you have $2000 to spend on upgrades.

stratex5
26-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Please understand the original post.:groan:

Slankydudl
26-06-2012, 08:04 PM
wow lol.

mikebartnz
26-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Please understand the original post.:groan:
I did. He is writing some code and wanted a site that updated giving just what Chill in Post #11 gave. He was not building or buying a PC as Nick G implied in his post #6 so I don't know what you are prattling on about.

adslgeek
26-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I love this forum - just so bloody helpful!

I think while it isn't perfect if I measure the following

RAM - and give a range from
Warning (eg below Windows specs)
Low - Suitable for basic programs surfing and word
Medium - Suitable for most programs
High - High end computer, suitable for gaming

CPU specs
Same but separate scale

Browser
If they don't use Opera and Chrome the recommend Chrome for faster page load

I quite like the idea of an in browser test (JavaScript seems logic) to see what speeds pages load and render, cause that is a critical part of the page load and render speeds (which is a large part of perceived Internet speed)

Installed programs
I currently record the installed programs, so could ID any that would have more overhead than the PC has (eg WoW may need 2Gig RAM, this customer has 1Gig RAM so display a warning or recommendation for more memory to be installed)

I have no idea on how to detect defragged - I might see if there is a "last run" register for that program?

Also need to detect how much current spare hard drive a percentage and alert if not more than 20%

And the same for say currently spare RAM % or paging file usage - no idea where to get that from, but shouldn't be too hard to find.

If anyone is bored and wants to give a hand to either the porting to VB.net or any of these variables it would be really appreciated!

:thanks

Though I should be able to work out most of this stuff.

Fun, Fun, Fun!

stratex5
26-06-2012, 08:41 PM
If i have spare time... eg school holidays. I'll "attempt" to give a go.

stratex5
26-06-2012, 08:44 PM
I did. He is writing some code and wanted a site that updated giving just what Chill in Post #11 gave. He was not building or buying a PC as Nick G implied in his post #6 so I don't know what you are prattling on about.

He asked for any help about pc specs. He wanted a program, but giving him relative specs would also help.

adslgeek
26-06-2012, 09:01 PM
wow lol.

It's OK guys I don't mind if someone gets off topic :)

mikebartnz
26-06-2012, 09:03 PM
He wanted a program,
No he didn't as he is writing one.

stratex5
26-06-2012, 09:08 PM
No he didn't as he is writing one.

But he wanted a sort of database of hardware...

And you really need to let things go, you're quite uptight about what people write.

Nick G
26-06-2012, 09:40 PM
But he wanted a sort of database of hardware...

And you really need to let things go, you're quite uptight about what people write.
He sure is. Don't think he'd survive long on android forums :rolleyes:

mikebartnz
26-06-2012, 09:49 PM
He sure is. Don't think he'd survive long on android forums :rolleyes:
I'm sorry guys but verbal or written diarrhoea gets to me.:D
It is so bad on some forums I get out of there as quickly as possible.

Nick G
26-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm sorry guys but verbal or written diarrhoea gets to me.:D
It is so bad on some forums I get out of there as quickly as possible.
Fair point I guess. android forums is particularly bad, here I find the spelling and grammar to be much better.

Still, I'll try and improve my replies to meet your high standard :lol:

stratex5
26-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Fair point I guess. android forums is particularly bad, here I find the spelling and grammar to be much better.

stratex5

I'll sign this partition.

johnd
26-06-2012, 10:48 PM
He asked for any help about pc specs. He wanted a program, but giving him relative specs would also help.

Why re-invent the wheel - how about using Novabench (http://novabench.com/) which includes FLOPS (Floating Point Operations per Second) which is a reasonable method of guaging system performance.

mikebartnz
26-06-2012, 10:53 PM

Good lad.:D

Slankydudl
26-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Wel I dont thnk itis necesary two corecct gramA.

adslgeek
27-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Why re-invent the wheel - how about using Novabench (http://novabench.com/) which includes FLOPS (Floating Point Operations per Second) which is a reasonable method of guaging system performance.

What I have so far allows for the Hijack this info as well as network analysis and I just wanted it to round out to include PC health.

This then feeds all that data into the DSL trouble shooter so it should cover a really broad range of possible symptoms.

Newbie nirvana, the sort of program I could give to someones mother and let them tell me what they are going to do..

:drool