PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better (free) backup and restore programme: Fbackup or Sync?

smurf
25-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Comments-opinions would be appreciated :) Sync meaning Syncback ...sorry

Iantech
25-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I have used syncback on various computers, always found it did the job well for backups (scheduled and manual). I havent used the other backup software you mentioned sorry.

smurf
25-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks Iantech.....I am currently using Fbackup which seems to do the job too (at least the backup component). I haven't had to use the restore facility. I am interested because of the number of occasions that Syncback has been mentioned lately.

25-06-2012, 12:44 PM
For data only, or to completely restore Windows if it turns to custard ?

smurf
25-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Data :)

gary67
25-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I use syncback for data as it backs up the entire folder and I can access the contents from any computer if I need to. For my OS I backup with active@, both are done to a schedule over a network to my backup server

Nomad
25-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I use syncback myself. It syncs from internal A to internal B and vice versa and to my external. It can also delete stuff that was not from A so they are aligned. You can choose without it of course and just have additions to A if B has some diff files.

Not too sure if the latest version fixes it but v long file names and foreign names cannot be done. The same applies to the win7 image file. So I just exclude the image file, don't do images v often anyway, so just manual. And I rename the odd long filename and the foreign lang files ...

linw
26-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I was looking for a nice simple data backup tool for use by relatively unskilled users and thought fbackup filled the bill until I found it wouldn't even backup 2GB to a 4GB USB drive. It complains that there is not enough disk space. It seems as if it uses lots of temp space for compressing.

Others found this? Is there a solution I have missed?

linw
26-06-2012, 12:50 PM
I also tried syncback by using the user dir as the base dir and adding directories e.g Pictures, Documents to allow for several directory backups. But that seemed to want to add obscure dirs from appdata etc so I gave that up, too.

smurf
26-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Ok....I have settled on Syncback because of ease of use and speed of backup. So far so good. Backed up Pics in various folders amounting to nearly 2.5gig in no time at all. Checked the backup and all appears fine :)

advena
26-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Comments-opinions would be appreciated :) Sync meaning Syncback ...sorry

I've been using SugarSync for some time now, both for backup and to synchronise PC and laptop. It has been brilliant. Check it out.