PDA

View Full Version : Merge partitions in Windows 7

springa886
24-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, i've made a complete mess of partitioning the space on my PC but nevermind. I am trying to add space to a certain partition and am unsure how I did it to begin with :) Here is a pic of my mess:

I am trying to add the unallocated space to one of the 'My Movies" partitions....... anyone have any advice?

wainuitech
24-06-2012, 09:07 PM
You have to move the unpartitioned space next to the partition you want to add it to, or in this case between the F partition and 1st My movies as an example. You would need to move the F Partition sideways which would then put the unallocated to the right of it instead of the current left, then expand out My Movies into the unallocated space . What partitioning software are you using ?

What you can do is try something like Gparted ( bootable CD) Free. I would use Acronis Disk Director, but its not Free. With that you simply grab the end of a partition and move it.

zqwerty
25-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Try this:

Partition Assistant Home Edition

http://www.extend-partition.com/download.html

Nick G
25-06-2012, 09:15 AM
right click on the 'my movies' drive in disk management. Click on extend volume. It will take space away from the unallocated section and allocate it to the my movies drive.

dugimodo
25-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Personally I'd back it all up, then repartition it to one large volume and just use folders to organise things, that's a mess!

Iantech
25-06-2012, 11:29 AM
that's a mess!Aint that the truth :eek:

Nick G
25-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Aint that the truth :eek:
Yup, that makes my organisation of my photos look good :p

25-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Personally I'd back it all up, then repartition it to one large volume and just use folders to organise things

+1
Id even remove those older, smaller HD's completely.

mikebartnz
25-06-2012, 12:28 PM
right click on the 'my movies' drive in disk management. Click on extend volume. It will take space away from the unallocated section and allocate it to the my movies drive.
Please read post #2

Nick G
25-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Please read post #2
My bad sorry:horrified

dugimodo
25-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Please read post #2

Actually the J drive in the picture is a dynamic disk already spanning several non-adjacent partitions so he should be able to do it, I'm not sure if Nick got it exactly right but it's doable. You may need to partition it first and then extend the drive onto it. Dynamic disks can span multiple drives and partitions, shouldn't be too hard to figure out from disk management.

He has 4 drive letters spread across 9 partitions and one block of unallocated space. :horrified