PDA

View Full Version : USB flash drive write protected?

dugimodo
24-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I have a Kingston DT ultimate G2 32GB USB3.0 flash drive which I use quite a bit. Today I had some trouble ejecting it, and tried about 3 times before the safe to remove message finally came up.
Now it is apparently write protected and I can't write to it or format it but I can still read the one file that's on there.

I've tried formatting from windows, from safe mode command prompt, tried chkdsk /f from both as well, plugged it in and ejected it a few times, tried another PC (both running 64bit windows 7), looked in the registry to see if the system had write protect enabled for flash devices..... None of it worked, I just get the write protected error message. Also downloaded a HP formatting utility but it fails also.

Anyone know how to fix this? and no the drive does not have a write protect switch on it.

linw
24-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Being 32GB and USB 3.0 I can understand your desire to get it back. You will no doubt have googled but did you see this? http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4214-remove-write-protection-on-pen-drive

linw
24-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Or have you tried formatting from Disk management or from the command prompt?

dugimodo
24-06-2012, 08:06 PM
yeah tried all that, still no go :(

stratex5
24-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Have you tried right clicking the drive and click properties and uncheck read only(i think:))

Nick G
24-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Have you tried right clicking the drive and click properties and uncheck read only(i think:))
That works for files, not for usb sticks.

dugimodo
24-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Yeah about 10 seconds after the first error, and as Nick says USB drives don't have the option. I played around in the security and permissions settings but no joy there either.

dugimodo
25-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Ok tried a few more things and still no joy :( this may turn into a recommend a new flash drive thread.
Tried clearing the readonly attribute with diskpart which claimed to suceed but changed nothing, tried it on an XP machine, tried easus partition manager, E-mailed kingston and am waiting for a reply, might try linux next.

fred_fish
25-06-2012, 02:57 PM
as root

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

Then make a new filesystem on it.

If that doesn't work then it is probably stuffed at a hardware level.

Nick G
25-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Try this (http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/101-207273/usb-flash-drive-is-write-protected-how-do-i-remove-it) and this (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24738-63-write-protected-flash-drive-removal-software)

CYaBro
25-06-2012, 03:08 PM
This is going to sound stupid :D but the drive doesn't have a physical read/write protect switch on it does it?
I've got a couple here that do and the switch is situated in such a way that when you unplug the drive you usually end up moving the switch into the write protect position so next time you plug it in you can't write to it. :rolleyes:

dugimodo
25-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks Nick but I went through both those pages before posting here, google has turned up nothing useful to date.

dugimodo
25-06-2012, 03:13 PM
This is going to sound stupid :D

Only slighty, people do miss the obvious sometimes. For example on my first post at the end
and no the drive does not have a write protect switch on it :P

I am about ready to give up, among other things I've scanned the drive and my pc with almost every malware scanner known to man.

CYaBro
25-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Only slighty, people do miss the obvious sometimes. For example on my first post at the end :P

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pretty sure Kingston USB drives have a 5 year warranty so you should be able to take it back where you bought it and get it replaced.

gradebdan
25-06-2012, 03:40 PM
I had the same problem two weeks ago with a Kingston Data traveler 4GB.
I lent it to my son, he got halfway thro saving some files then stopped.
He decided to delete what was on there and start again. Same problem ,
"WRITE PROTECTED". There was no switch on this unit to protect its contents.
I tried all manner of deletions, even reformatting, (which it wouldn't do).
5 year warranty. But as I have owned it for 2 1/2 years could not find the
receipt. I then took it to work to our IT man who likes a challenge.
He had it a week and then gave up trying to solve it himself.
I understand that he now contacted Kingston who told him to send the unit to Simms international Ltd, Auckland.
and they would replace it. Back came a new DT109W/4GB free of charge. No news
on what was found with the original. I do not know if our IT man
got extra preferential because of past business.

dugimodo
25-06-2012, 03:48 PM
This is the beast here http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA30651 and you are correct it does list a 5 year warranty.
Given that this model hasn't existed for 5 years (< 1 I believe) I'm hopeful that I won't need a receipt to make a claim if it comes to that.

I'll wait until I hear back from kingston and go from there. It's just incredibly frustrating.

kahawai chaser
25-06-2012, 04:37 PM
This answer (http://www.fixya.com/support/t11001607-pls_help_me_about_usb_kingston_2gb)mentions checking if the file itself is write protected by trying to delete it, including a boot utility. Then check for hidden folders. Then reformat.

dugimodo
25-06-2012, 06:23 PM
as root

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

Then make a new filesystem on it.

If that doesn't work then it is probably stuffed at a hardware level.
Thanks but I'm a complete novice when it comes to linux so I'd need more than that, how to get to a command prompt, how to be sure I'm not zeroing the hard drive instead, how to be root, etc

fred_fish
25-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks but I'm a complete novice when it comes to linux so I'd need more than that, how to get to a command prompt, how to be sure I'm not zeroing the hard drive instead, how to be root, etc
OK.
It depends a bit what linux and how you boot it, but generally Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or F3-6) will get you a virtual terminal with a login prompt.
Plug in your USB.
type dmesg
this will show a logfile with the detection of your usb and what device it was assigned to (and any errors if they happen).
'fdisk -l' will also list all the drives & partitions if you want to be really sure you are not nuking your OS :)

If rather than logging in as root, you start a terminal from your menu or such, you will be your regular user and will need to change to the root user.
This can vary by distro but most can do it by typing 'su' (for SuperUser) then entering the root password (prompt will change from $ to #).
Or prefix the commands with 'sudo' if that has been setup (that is setup by default for the first user in the buntu's)
I think Puppy runs as root by default (this is generally a bad idea).

dugimodo
25-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks Fred, but that was painful enough to remind me why I avoid linux and it didn't work :( Can't zero fill a drive if it's write protected. what I need is to force a reformat but nothing works. I'm running Kubuntu LTS 12.04 on a old PC and it's so dog arsed slow as to be practically unusable. I don't know what the root password is, logged in as me and used sudo and it asked for a password but I got the fdisk -l to work at least, tried dd if=/dev/zer of=dev/sdb1 bs=1M and it came back with disk is read only. From the desktop it won't mount the drive for the same reason. Is there a way back from the terminal to the desktop after doing ctrl-alt-f2? I had to reboot. Also dmesg flashes a wall of text past too fast to read and with no obvious way to scroll back. I don't think linux can help this problem.

Back on the windows front, kingston got back to me and suggested formatting with an SD formatting utility they supplied a link to, which failed with the same write protected error as everything else. Next step its to attempt a return, which will be fun as I have no record of purchasing it and don't remember when. I do know where though so I'll start with that.

fred_fish
25-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks Fred, but that was painful enough to remind me why I avoid linux and it didn't work :( Can't zero fill a drive if it's write protected. what I need is to force a reformat but nothing works. If, as it seems, it's a hardware problem, it won't matter what OS you use.
I'm running Kubuntu LTS 12.04 on a old PC and it's so dog arsed slow as to be practically unusable.Hardly surprising :)
I don't know what the root password is, logged in as me and used sudo and it asked for a password that would be YOUR password (buntu does it all wrong ...)
but I got the fdisk -l to work at least, tried dd if=/dev/zer of=dev/sdb1 bs=1M and it came back with disk is read only. dmesg output should provide more info.
edit: to zero the drive you would want to point dd at the device itself (/dev/sdb) rather than the partition on it (/dev/sdb1)
From the desktop it won't mount the drive for the same reason. It should still mount 'read only'.
Is there a way back from the terminal to the desktop after doing ctrl-alt-f2? I had to reboot.:) Alt-F7 (or 8, whichever VT your X session is running on).
Also dmesg flashes a wall of text past too fast to read and with no obvious way to scroll back. Shift-PgUp

Hopefully your replacement works better :)