PDA

View Full Version : can't uninstall Avast

MMM
24-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Hi. . Have to uninstall Avast from a notebook that I haven't used much lately. Tonight I found I couldn't update it. It keeps giving me message of "Failed to update. The Avast Service is not running". And the Current version, Release date, and number of definitions are stated as unknown. But in program update part it states program is v6.0.1367.
Anyway, went into the Add/Remove part of Windows Control [running XP SP2], and it won't remove the program. Message pops up: "Error reading product data from C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast 5\setup\part-setup-ais-557.vpx. Setup cannot continue". I don't want to 'setup' Avast, I want to remove it and install latest free version. Any suggestions pls, cheers

Nhashon
24-06-2012, 08:46 AM
To me , avast looks to be corrupt ,I would suggest try using ccleaner , and un install it .

Nick G
24-06-2012, 10:43 AM
uninstall it using revo uninstaller. Do a full advanced scan, and wipe the whole lot off.

MMM
24-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Thks Nhashon, I'm just about to d/ld CCleaner now. Will let you know how it goes.

lakewoodlady
24-06-2012, 11:01 AM
+1 for Revo Uninstaller.
The set up for Avast contains the Uninstall for it as well. But if it won't work use revo, then ccleaner which should then remove any little leftovers.

LL

MMM
24-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Thks Nick, will try CCleaner for now, not up to date with whats best for which situation. I was naive enough to think that all programs would have some kind of uninstaller. cheers

Renegade
24-06-2012, 05:45 PM
If all else fails, this should nuke it http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

MMM
24-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Thks Renegade. CCleaner wont get rid of it because of that stupid part-setup-ais-557.vpx file. Will try your suggestion because it's avast's own file. If it doesn't work, I'm going to delete every Avast file one by one, will never install it again ever!

Nick G
24-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Have you run revo?

MMM
25-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Thks Renegade, didn't know they had an uninstaller on their site. It worked, so simple, so relieved!

MMM
25-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Nick, I didn't use revo, but made a note of it in my files. Scarey staying on the internet too long unprotected. Thks.

Renegade
25-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Thks Renegade, didn't know they had an uninstaller on their site. It worked, so simple, so relieved!

Cool!

On a semi-related note I "removed" AVG from a PC last week via add/remove, rebooted and.... it came back. Used the AVG removal tool to remove it. When A/Vs crap the bed, they do it in style.

Nick G
25-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Good to hear you nuked it.

MMM
25-06-2012, 05:47 PM
This forum really is a godsend, really is appreciated, thks :thumbs:

lakewoodlady
25-06-2012, 08:49 PM
MMM, so what are you going to replace it with? Because most on here will recommend either Nod 32, paid, or MSSE, free.

LL

MMM
26-06-2012, 06:55 AM
MMM, so what are you going to replace it with? Because most on here will recommend either Nod 32, paid, or MSSE, free.

LL

Because the Avast uninstaller, which I got from their site as advised by Renegade, was so simple to use and worked instantly, I'll stay with Avast. This was the first #$%& episode it had given me, and I've had it a few years now. Thanks for the suggestions though, may take one on if I have any more problems. Cheers.

Nick G
26-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Because the Avast uninstaller, which I got from their site as advised by Renegade, was so simple to use and worked instantly, I'll stay with Avast. This was the first #$%& episode it had given me, and I've had it a few years now. Thanks for the suggestions though, may take one on if I have any more problems. Cheers.

I used to use avast, but it gave me s**t as well. So, I'm now using MSE, and highly recommend it.