PDA

View Full Version : Connect Computer to TV

Poppa John
22-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi All.
This question has probably been asked before but I could not find it in 'Search".

Toshiba laptop with VGA out, ( also USB). Older CRT TV with RCA x 3, YRW. Is it as simple as connecting VGA to RCA? Thanks. PJ

Nick G
22-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Should be. I don't know exactly what RCA is, so i can't say if you'll need a converter to fit the cable in, but if it fits it should be plug and play.

Peter H
22-06-2012, 09:01 PM
No - without expensive converter.

BBCmicro
22-06-2012, 09:38 PM
No - without expensive converter.

+1

But if you just want to play back some files on the TV (ie, not relaying the computer's screen to the TV), you could get a $49 media player, connect it to the 3 x RCAs on the TV, put the files on a USB stick, plug the stick into the media player, and use the media player's remote to play the files over the TV

zqwerty
22-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Poppa John I used to do this with my Toshiba Laptop quite often, you need to connect the VGA output of the Toshiba to the Video In (Yellow) RCA, the Red and the White RCA are for stereo sound which can also come from the headphones socket of the Toshiba using a Stereo mini-jack to RCA lead.

Then you have to make the Toshiba output to the VGA which is done by using Fn and F5 Keys on my Toshiba as I remember, may be different on yours, you will need to research it.

linw
22-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Best do a google search as you have two conflicting answers.

Perhaps this warning from a seller of a VGA to RCA cable is germane.

VGA to S-Video/RCA (Composite) Adapter Cable - Black

IMPORTANT, Please READ! Before Buying.
This item is a VGA VIDEO Card to S. Video or Composite TV Adapter Cable.
Use it to connect the video card on your computer to a TV input. Your video card MUST be able to support s-Video or Composite out through it's VGA port. This is known as a TV out function. If you don't know if your video card can do this, then call the card manufacturer and ask them "Does my video card support S-Video or Composite Video out through its VGA port?" If it does, then buy this adapter. If not, then use Product # 4724 http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=4724

Connector: VGA(HD15) Male to S-Video Female and RCA(Composite) Jack
Cable: UL 2919 Coaxial Low Voltage Cable

It will work with VGA cards that have TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector.
Check your Video Card manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out function capability.

8ftmetalhaed
22-06-2012, 11:38 PM
This said, I've tried using RCA inputs on multiple TV's with never any decent levels of success, both from desktops and laptops all with dedicated TV out's.

zqwerty
23-06-2012, 12:01 AM
All older Toshiba Laptops can do this, they have a single RCA Video Out which is able to drive any Yellow socket RCA Video In on a TV or Video Tape Player (VCR), provided that you do the correct keystrokes to activate it.

You can use any RCA to RCA lead, colour doesn't matter of course but usually Yellow plus separate Red and White leads for stereo audio.

SolMiester
23-06-2012, 03:13 PM
All older Toshiba Laptops can do this, they have a single RCA Video Out which is able to drive any Yellow socket RCA Video In on a TV or Video Tape Player (VCR), provided that you do the correct keystrokes to activate it.

You can use any RCA to RCA lead, colour doesn't matter of course but usually Yellow plus separate Red and White leads for stereo audio.
Correct, I have an old tosh Sat from 2002, has the Y RCA output at the back...never tried to hook it up though.

Poppa John
25-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Ok, Resolved. We are buying a new flat screen TV with internet to replace our old dunger, which is going to need replacing soon anyway. Thanks for the help. PJ

Poppa John
25-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I suppose the next thing we will have to do is look at ISPs again to see who can give us the best $/GB deal!!! Currently with Orcon & have only jus found out that there is a Telecom surcharge to use the Wanganui equipmnt. PJ