PDA

View Full Version : 2 TB Master HDD question.

Bryan
21-06-2012, 10:05 AM
My new PC came with a one and only HDD, 2TB.

I have it partitioned to 100GB for the operating system and a second partition for sundries.

Is it wise for this setup or should I consider obtaining a second smaller HDD and clone the operating sytem to that?

I really can't think as to why I should worry about the present setup, it just seems that the disk is too big!

DeSade
21-06-2012, 10:22 AM
C:/ tends to expand I would give it a little more space than that, otherwise what you have done is fine.

pcuser42
21-06-2012, 10:31 AM
That's pretty much the setup I have, except the 100GB partition is for Windows and programs, and the remainder for data.

ronyville
21-06-2012, 12:05 PM
it just seems that the disk is too big!

The bigger the better I say.. well in disk size actually. I remember when I used to think 100GB was way too big for a disk.

pctek
21-06-2012, 01:56 PM
My new PC came with a one and only HDD, 2TB.

I have it partitioned to 100GB for the operating system and a second partition for sundries.

Is it wise for this setup or should I consider obtaining a second smaller HDD and clone the operating sytem to that?
!

I would buy a second HDD and image the O/S partition and keep a copy on the external, and then also backup docs and stuff to the external also.
That way when one dies, nothing is lost.

Agent_24
21-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I would have a separate physical disk for the operating system and another disk(s) for data.

And separate backups for all of them.

kingdragonfly
21-06-2012, 07:56 PM
There are a couple of advantages to partitioning a separate system volume, on a single drive.

The major advantage is most O/S don't like having their system partition filled. If you run out of space on a second partition, at least the system partition will be happy.

The second advantage is it's debatably easier to organize / back up files with multiple partitions on a single drive.

The downside is if you're doing large linear writes to both partitions at once. This could create two "hot spots", causing the hard drive heads to jump more than necessary, and possibly reduce performance.

Paul.Cov
21-06-2012, 08:52 PM
100GB might sound like a lot for an OS partition, but Windows is good at filling it all up!

Sure, if you are particular about your 'housekeeping' to keep C: clean, then in theory 100GB will suffice... for now.
However, Windows can be a pig to configure all other 'user' data to be writtien elsewhere.

I've currently used up almost 100GB of C:, and it's predominantly Windows files, updates, installers, apps, Antivirus products and their databases.

Big files / folders such as games and media have been largely kept to D:, yet C: continues to 'bulge'.

The other challenge is many apps / updates build temporary folders during their installation, and often do not delete these folders afterwards.
Sure, if you research them you may determine which folders are now deletable, but you'll always have some doubt that some folders need to be kept (eg to roll back changes, or to use uninstallers you often need these temp folders).

Bigger is always better... if you have the space available.

Page file might hit 6GB, hibernation file 4GB... there's 10% of 100GB gone already.