PDA

View Full Version : Computer mouse stutters then entire pc freezes

munro98
21-06-2012, 01:50 AM
I have a problem when my new computer that I built . It begins with my mouse stuttering and then the hard drive reading for a split second then stopping repeating that a few times and after a few seconds then entire pc just freezes in the state I was using it in. And it occurs completely randomly weather I'm browsing the internet playing games or with no programs open what so ever. It's very frustrating having this problem windows freezes with no warning, no error. I've had this problem ever scince I had the computer but other than that i completely love this PC.

My specs:

CPU: Intel core i5-2500k
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 1100mhz 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Hard Drive: Western digital caviar black 1TB
RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 8GB
Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

Paul.Cov
21-06-2012, 06:53 AM
First thing is ensure that the mouse is communicating ok.
If it is on batteries, then check that it is getting power.
If it is wireless, then ensure the receiver is close to the mouse (move it to a closer port, or put it on a cable that brings it closer to the mouse.

Your symptoms may indicate bad spots on your hard disc, or a dodgy cable connection to the HDD. Check the cables (unplug, replug) and scan the disc.

Check your drivers are all up to date.

How does this freeze get resolved? Do you power off / reset / wait for Windows to resume?

wainuitech
21-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Try running Memtest through it, Faulty memory can cause the exact problems you describe. ( had one yesterday doing the same freezing at random times)

Run from a bootable CD, either memtest (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso) - get the ISO to burn a CD, or Microsofts memory test, ( its on your Windows 7 DVD)

dugimodo
21-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Have you overclocked at all? if so try going back to stock speeds for a while and see if that helps.

Also when you build a new PC it's a good Idea to do some burn in testing to identify possible problems like this, you can either try one of the tools designed to burn in test for you or run a few different programs.

Myself I use a few basic tests;
Memtest - as mentioned by Wainui to verify the RAM - do several passes of the full tests (Some versions of memtest default to short tests and have an option for extended testing you should use)
Prime 95 to stress test the CPU and realtemp or speedfan to monitor the temperature while doing it (or the included motherboard monitoring software if you have that)
Furmark to stress test the graphics.

Occasionally to really stress it out when I've had problems I've run P95 and Furmark at the same time.

I never used to bother unless I had problems, but time has taught me it's best to do this at the start.

Agent_24
21-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Did you put the heatsink on properly?