PDA

View Full Version : What edition version of XP Home is this

Nomad
20-06-2012, 06:17 PM
What edition of XP Home is it when it is the serial sticker on the side of the case off a big brand PC. Just saves me going thru all the diff editions. Cheers. :thanks:

gary67
20-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Home is home there are no different versions of home, XP only came in 3 flavours. Home, Pro and media centre. The only thing is with Pro it needs to be an OEM disc if it says OEM on the sticker, with home it doesn't matter

Nick G
21-06-2012, 08:26 AM
XP home is a version of XP, there is no version of XP home. If you mean what service pack, download speccy and have a look.

Alex B
21-06-2012, 08:35 AM
OEM

pcuser42
21-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Home is home there are no different versions of home, XP only came in 3 flavours. Home, Pro and media centre. The only thing is with Pro it needs to be an OEM disc if it says OEM on the sticker, with home it doesn't matter

There was:

Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
Windows XP x64 (for Itanium)
Windows XP Professional x64 (for x86-64)
Windows XP Embedded (to be complete :p)

Renegade
21-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Pretty sure I've tried to use a OEM Home key with the Home Retail CD and it failed. There's also the not so common Home Upgrade CD.

tmrafi
21-06-2012, 11:32 AM
XP Home has two editions, Retail and OEM. If it is big brand and sticker on case, then it will be OEM edition
XP Pro has three editions, Retail, OEM and Volume License. Again If it is big brand and sticker on case, then it will be OEM edition

pcuser42
21-06-2012, 03:19 PM
XP Home has two editions, Retail and OEM. If it is big brand and sticker on case, then it will be OEM edition
XP Pro has three editions, Retail, OEM and Volume License. Again If it is big brand and sticker on case, then it will be OEM edition

Also, the wording of the setup page asking you for your key will give you a clue as to what version that disc is.

Chilling_Silence
21-06-2012, 05:10 PM

AFAIK the OEM editions aren't specifically interchangeable. For example, using a Dell OEM key with HP OEM CD's won't specifically accept the key...

Agent_24
21-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I think there is a difference too between Big brand OEM and Retail OEM.

You can get XP preinstalled on an HP and HP will be printed on the COA sticker.

You can go to a shop and buy XP OEM (as long as you buy hardware as well) and it won't say HP or Dell or anything on it.

The key from the HP OEM and the key from the 'retail' OEM won't be interchangeable either.

Renegade
21-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I've been lucky using HP/IBM/Dell keys with a standard OEM disk. Maybe 20% have failed activation, but that was fixed by phoning the 0800. That was probably more to do with using a slipstreamed SP3 disk on an older SP1/pre-SP1 PC.

Agent_24
21-06-2012, 07:47 PM
When I tried once it didn't even accept the key, but I think you might be right, it might have been more about SP level than branding...

PC builder
21-06-2012, 07:56 PM
You did say "serial sticker on the side" it could be any serial number what your looking for is something like this