PDA

View Full Version : Need a way to reformat old HP Pavilion A7 47C (recovery mod broken) WinXP

applejack2j
20-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Hello there PCWorld,

I wanted to reformat my relative's old, dust clogged HP Windows XP SP2 (made in 2004) desktop. So basically the HP Recovery Module is broken and by that I mean when I press F10 when the PC first boots (HP OEM logo shows up), the recovery/reformat function fails because of a registry error on a blue screen (stop: 0000218 [registry file error]) in the "security" section. In addition, no luck with the F1 (setup)--> Windows XP Recovery Console (worded something like that) because I'm shown cmd coding like text.

-I have ran CHKDSK /r but no luck. -There is no recovery software installed when I go to START-->All Programs (I've checked everywhere for a hint of HP recovery software).
-I do not have the OEM discs. -I did some research on "winnt32.exe" (from Google search results) but apparently that does not reformat things, rather it just overwrites existing data.

From all the stuff I have experienced over the years (I have moderate background on tech and computers), I have never seen anything like this, so I'm stuck. I presume that I'm missing some registry keys, but I don't even think there is a place to find it.

Lastly, thank you all for any help. I'm very grateful that there are so many helpful people here.

mzee
20-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Buy a copy of Windows xp (home or pro), you should find one on Trademe for a reasonable price. Format and partition the drive & re-install Windows. Clean out the dust and dirt first.
If there is data on the hard drive which you wish to save, boot it up with Linux, there are many versions on CD and save the files to an external drive. Don't bother to save program files as they will have to be re-installed anyway. You can also use the Linux (part edit) to format it.

johnd
20-06-2012, 10:09 PM
You can also use the Linux (part edit) to format it.

I presume you mean PartedMagic (http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start)?

mzee
20-06-2012, 11:55 PM
I presume you mean PartedMagic (http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start)?
Whatever :-) 'Partition Magic' for Windows, 'Part Edit' for Linux.

Agent_24
21-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Hello there PCWorld,

I wanted to reformat my relative's old, dust clogged HP Windows XP SP2 (made in 2004) desktop.

Try removing the dust. Perhaps your BSOD problem is caused by overheating or such.

8ftmetalhaed
21-06-2012, 01:36 AM
If you can find someone with a windows XP disc you can do a repair installation.
Insert the Cd and all that but instead of installing fresh (god don't do that unless the key on the sticker matches the disc version) press R to do a repair.

applejack2j
21-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Thank you all for the prompt responses!

No, I do not have a BSOD error; it was simply a blue screen with a registry file error (missing a key I guess).

So I presume the only way to resolve this error and proceed with a reformat is to find a Windows XP CD? So "winnt32.exe" does not repair the registry portion?

Thank you :]

wainuitech
21-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Winnt32 can do a repair install as long as the i386 folder is on the HDD in C: What it cant do is do a complete reinstall from fresh, as its missing some of the other files that are required. There are ways to overcome that, but its a lot of pissing about.

Depending on what's wrong with the Reg will depend if a repair install will fix it.

To do a repair install:

Reboot the PC in Safe Mode with command Prompt ,You should then have something like C: documents and settings\your name\

Type in CD C:\I386 <Enter>

Type in winnt32.exe <Enter>

Agree to anything, this should then reinstall windows as doing a repair install.

When asked, enter the product key that’s on the Case.

If its a name brand PC, the factory COA while it will allow you to install it wont activate. Its most important you use the COA on the side of the case.

Agent_24
21-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Thank you all for the prompt responses!

No, I do not have a BSOD error; it was simply a blue screen with a registry file error (missing a key I guess).

Still, computers should not be full of dust ;)

wainuitech
21-06-2012, 01:50 PM
From my previous Post " There are ways to overcome that, but its a lot of pissing about."

Had a while today, waiting for parts to arrive so, Here’s the full way to install from the i386 folder. Its a little long, but works fine.

YES its XP, but using more modern software (W7 repair CD)

Since the original PC has a recovery partition, there may be an ISO file in it that is the actual recovery – sometimes can make and boot from a CD using it, something like Linux and copy out the ISO, burn it and it may boot and allow you to install fresh.

The way you asked about:

The other way from the i386 folder can be done as follows. You need the following : Partition software/ CD, Windows 7 Repair CD (Or any CD that allows Command prompts to be activated) , and Original XP i386 folder.

From the original PC, copy the i386 folder to a removable Drive. I used Ubuntu, i386 folder was on a flash drive.

Wipe the original drive clean.

Create two partitions one large, the other smaller, approx. 2GB or there abouts then format the larger as NTFS and the smaller as Fat32, - (your Partition software can do this), in the second partition (Fat32) then put the i386 folder.

Note:You have to have two partitions as you cant install it on the same partition as the i386 folder. Tried installing on a single partition Via USB drive and got pissed off waiting.

Boot from a windows 7 repair CD, select the top option of Use recovery tools, open the command Prompt, change to the partition that has the i386 folder, ( type D: <press enter>) to make sure it’s there, type DIR <Press Enter> you should see the i386 directory.

Note:If it’s not then it either hasn’t copied correctly, or the partition is NTFS.

As long as its there, type CD i386 <press Enter> type winnt32.exe <press Enter>

The Windows install options will open, select new Install, work through, tell it to upgrade to NTFS, windows will now copy files, it will take a few minutes.
When the Window closes you will be back at the Command Prompt, type exit

Click restart on the W7 repair window, and remove the CD, Windows XP will now carry on installing like normal. Once finished, you can now boot from the Partition software, delete the second partition that had the i386 folder, and expand out the other partition to gain some more space.

applejack2j
21-06-2012, 04:47 PM
I just realized that there was an option (I missed it earlier) to burn a recovery CD. I'll test that out first, and if all fails I will execute "winnt32.exe"; yes the i386 is on the C:/ drive; I presume this will repair the registry error?

Yes, I also cleaned out the junk that was inside this 2004 PC, it was a nightmare but I made it through.

I cannot upload message in the meantime, but I took a picture of the error earlier. I'll type it out so you know what was going on exactly:
-------------
STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternative.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
----
Thanks for the help so far!

wainuitech
21-06-2012, 07:05 PM
if all fails I will execute "winnt32.exe"; yes the i386 is on the C:/ drive; I presume this will repair the registry error?
Depends on where the problem is. While it gives the reg key, that doesn't actually mean a repair install will fix it.

If its 2004 vintage, and never been reinstalled, it about time to do it.

Side Note: Still Waiting for those parts, :mad: So I retired XP again on another faster PC, this time it worked perfectly.

Following the previous instructions, I had the i386 folder on a flash drive. The HDD had one single partition, formatted to NTFS, booted from the W7 Repair CD to command prompt window, and had to locate the flash drive -- it went like this -- at the command prompt, typed in D: <enter> then DIR, looked for i386 folder -- NOPE.
Typed in E: looked for i386 folder and found it, typed in CD i386 <press enter> typed in winnt32.exe <press Enter> and away it went, copied the files in about 4 minutes, went back to the Command prompt, rebooted and installed as normal.

The only down side is if the original i386 folder has corruption - then you'll need a CD to install.

applejack2j
22-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Hm. Can I assume that the "W7 Repair CD" mean any recovery CD? I don't think so right? Gateway W7 CDs wouldn't work with HP desktop pcs?

Agent_24
22-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Recovery disks typically have an image of the OS and not the official Microsoft Windows installer.

They also come bundled with all the drivers for the hardware, so if you try to use it on a different machine, it will "install" the wrong drivers and probably won't work.

applejack2j
22-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks a lot, Agent_24.
I just found my old SONY VAIO Windows XP Recovery DVD. I'm going to execute the repair function on it. However, I will only do that after the HP Recovery CD Creator software fails. I haven't found the time to get back to the HP (it's not mine).
Thank you. I'll update this thread about future progress. I'm confident that one of these two options will work (after all, I have a Windows XP recovery CD now).

wainuitech
22-06-2012, 12:46 PM
The Windows 7 Repair CD has several files that allow windows to be fixed, ( including the Command prompt option) it doesn't actually contain the full Operating system. The actual size of the CD is only 142MB, ( 32bit version) where as a full install is over 2GB.

Typically it has the Boot.wim & other files relating to the boot options , which is the main boot section of windows, it has a range of tools to allow manual and pre automated fixes to try and repair any OS that is damaged and cant boot/load Normally. It has amongst other things option to install backups you have made.

A "real" recovery DVD will have all the drivers and OS / Programs for what ever Computer it was made for.

The windows DVD also has the repair functions, you can boot from that and select "Repair Computer" which will then bring up the Repair options as per the Repair CD.

The reason I suggested A windows 7 Repair CD is because it runs whats called WinPE,(Windows Preinstallation Environment ) and can see SATA drives, where as older bootable CD's that have DOS based Commands may not.

22-06-2012, 02:05 PM
-------------
STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternative.

Corrupt registry. A repair install WILL NOT fix this . You may also have a failing hard drive, not too surprising with an old XP PC
If system restore was enabled, then corrupt reg is fixable by copying across one of the many copies of the 5
registry files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Also try,
F8
'last good /working' option

wainuitech
22-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Just some info on that Fix 1101 -- that often fails and is a long way around doing it.

Theres two quicker ways.

1. Boot into Safe mode with Command Prompt ,then type C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and system restore will run.

OR another way is to run it from the recovery console, with certain DOS commands. I wont post them here as this forum actually displays them wrong, so I have them in a PDF on a site I can link to.

22-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Cheers. I dont do it that long way either, I just posted that for applejack2j , would take to long to type out my quicker method:via Bart CD & Total commander.
I'll stick rstrui.exe method in my notebook though , thanks.

22-06-2012, 02:26 PM
opps, hickup , cant del this double post

wainuitech
22-06-2012, 02:55 PM
I'll post the link to the PDF as well. https://www.box.com/shared/cd6hzzlee5

applejack2j
22-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Corrupt registry. A repair install WILL NOT fix this . You may also have a failing hard drive, not too surprising with an old XP PC
If system restore was enabled, then corrupt reg is fixable by copying across one of the many copies of the 5
registry files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Also try,
F8
'last good /working' option
The last good know configuration option was used.
Interesting, I didn't know that the repair disc would be useless in fixing the registry.

applejack2j
22-06-2012, 03:17 PM
I'll need some time to do some work. I have to see if this HP desktop even has restore points (may be turned off), so if that option is out I'll work with the recovery CD and attempt to repair the registry.
Once again, thanks to all for the help. I probably wouldn't have thought this far ahead with your help.

8ftmetalhaed
22-06-2012, 04:45 PM
BTW, in case you plan to disappear once this issue is fixed, apologies for the thread hijack, but ponies?
If so, ponies.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/NeighZealand/

Agent_24
22-06-2012, 05:18 PM
BTW, in case you plan to disappear once this issue is fixed, apologies for the thread hijack, but ponies?
If so, ponies.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/NeighZealand/

With all due respect, what the?

8ftmetalhaed
22-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Applejack.
http://www.gameinformer.com/resized-image.ashx/__size/500x400/__key/CommunityServer-Components-PostAttachments/00-01-24-37-46/38913d792b64e3214e84b67d5f2419f8_2D00_d4a2k80.png

wainuitech
22-06-2012, 05:27 PM
With all due respect, what the? x2 :confused:????

8ftmetalhaed
22-06-2012, 05:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_fandom

Agent_24
22-06-2012, 05:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_fandom

I don't think that is helping your cause... :lol:

8ftmetalhaed
22-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I can't make it look much better without delving below the surface of what it looks like. And that would require an entire thread, let alone a few posts in someone else's topic.

tl;dr if he's a fan of it (as his username could indicate) then I encourage him to join our group. As for anyone else, I can explain a bit more in a seperate thread on request.

Failing that, the tl;dr of the rest of it all is 'it's awesome below the surface, it just has a tendency of looking weird until you find out what it's all about'

applejack2j
23-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Interesting thought, 8ftmetalhaed, but I am not a brony, sorry. This username was made randomly with no specific intention. Please do not hijack other people's thread next time, as others may not be so lenient and casual about it.

8ftmetalhaed
23-06-2012, 10:27 AM
My apologies then.
Carry on.

applejack2j
26-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Well this is the end of the road for me. I decided that this machine is so old and beat up that's not even worth repairing. My relatives decided to get a new PC in the near future.

Nevertheless, this was a learning experience for me. Thank you all for your help, especially the members that have been here for a long time.
Take care guys!