PDA

View Full Version : Finding older drivers?

minster
17-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi all.
Does anyone know of the best way to find drivers?
Is there software that can identify what drivers are required even if no Ethernet drivers are
currently installed?
This problem must happen often to PC bulders and tecs that are restoring older PC's and I was wondering what they used?

jinja_thom
17-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I have in the past, used a free ap from Cnet called SlimDrives but it's a bit flakey and of couse you need a working internet connection.

Agent_24
17-06-2012, 08:40 PM
A physical look at the motherboard works well.

Otherwise, AIDA or Everest or similar can work well, or a Linux CD and "lspci" or such.

Or, lookup the motherboard etc on the manufacturer's site, they usually list all the devices in the manual and product page.

Note that for Ethernet, sometimes the chip is controlled through the southbridge and so you need the chipset drivers to provide LAN rather than drivers for the ethernet chip seperately.

minster
17-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Thank you, I shall try all you say tomorrow:)

johnd
17-06-2012, 10:34 PM
lspci works well - my Linux PC tells me I have 05:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection (rev 01).

However there has to be an easier way than booting to a Linux CD (especially if you don't have one). I have not tried it but how about something like:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html ?