PDA

View Full Version : I can't connect to one of the computers on the network

lostsoul62
17-06-2012, 03:49 AM
I go to Computer - Network and I see all the computers. From one computer I can access all data on both computers but from the other computer I can only access my own stuff but when I try and access the other computer I get a Windows Secuity which says I have to enter a password. I have the right user name and I've tried Security key, Passphrase, Homegroup key, D-Link Router password so I wonder what I'm doing wrong and how to fine my password. I can't change anything because too many computer are on the network. any ideas?

Iantech
17-06-2012, 04:20 AM
More info required, what operating system(s) are on the computer?

If Win 7 make sure you have Password Protected Sharing turned off for a start.

jinja_thom
17-06-2012, 07:58 PM
The password being requested is the windows login password for the system you are trying to connect to. This is to ensure that the registered user of that system and therebye the owner of the data, has given you explicit permission, in the form of his/her password, to access his/her files. It does not matter to windows if you are the owner of both systems, it still wants to check, and if you don't have a password protected user login, it can't verify that the access is allowed.
That's been my experience anyway.

trig42
18-06-2012, 12:40 PM
My experience when this happens (and there is no good reason for it) is to set the usernames (and passwords if you have them) to be the same on both machines.