PDA

View Full Version : Online Storage Sites

learning
16-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I plan on storing some of my personal data/files (mostly digital pics) online.
I just want a a backup of my backup drives...incase my house catches fire :D

Anyone with good experience with online storing. I dont mind paying a small fee as long as its reliable and will be around for foreseeble future

The obvious one that i though of was Hotmail/Skydrive since hotmail bombards me with adverts for it whenever i login to it

Cheers

Nick G
16-06-2012, 06:26 PM
I would advise justcloud. If you do decide to go with it, download the free trial, sign up for email from them,and wait. I've just got an option of a 70% discount :)

Rod J
17-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I can recommend Dropbox. You get 2Gb free but more space can be bought or if you recommend people you get more space that way too.

https://www.dropbox.com/links/features?source=modal

Nomad
17-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I do photography. Thing is if you have 10GB or more likely 100GBs if you have dSLRs etc ... with the recent models with their megapixels..... How are you gonna retrieve it? I suggest some online backup and a external HD in a bank safe box or relative's place and maybe put the critical files online and the recent files.

ChazTheGeek
17-06-2012, 07:44 PM
To fix the hotmail issue (For Firefox) you can get an add blocker extension. It blocks the adds for as long as you want. That's what I use anyway.

mikebartnz
17-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I dont mind paying a small fee as long as its reliable and will be around for foreseeble future
Who can tell these days after MegaUpload.

johnd
17-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Who can tell these days after MegaUpload.

I agree! I would not trust my only backup to the cloud at this stage. I use the cloud for temporary stuff I want to view in multiple locations, not for personal data.

nmercer
18-06-2012, 06:47 AM
I plan on storing some of my personal data/files (mostly digital pics) online.
I just want a a backup of my backup drives...incase my house catches fire :D

Anyone with good experience with online storing. I dont mind paying a small fee as long as its reliable and will be around for foreseeble future

The obvious one that i though of was Hotmail/Skydrive since hotmail bombards me with adverts for it whenever i login to it

Cheers

www.skydrive.com is a great choice

7GB free (25GB free if you were an early user) and pretty cheap to add additional 20, 50 or 100GB plans on top of that

Check out some of the features http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2012/04/25/an-exciting-few-days-for-personal-cloud-storage-and-skydrive.aspx

and a comparison http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/compare

notechyet
18-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Try this (https://www.backflip.co.nz/) one. Easy to setup and fast as it is based in NZ. As cheap as any overseas and no limit.

mikebartnz
18-06-2012, 01:55 PM
www.skydrive.com is a great choice
They have had some major outages. August and September last year and another problem returning URL's and Aussies had a major outage this year. Personally I would look elsewhere.

nmercer
18-06-2012, 02:09 PM
They have had some major outages. August and September last year and another problem returning URL's and Aussies had a major outage this year. Personally I would look elsewhere.

new Skydrive was launched in April 2012

mikebartnz
18-06-2012, 02:26 PM
new Skydrive was launched in April 2012
You say new but they were still outages running on MS gear.

robsonde
18-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I have been using carbonite for about 3 years, never had an outage, very happy.

forrest44
18-06-2012, 06:47 PM
+1 for dropbox. They even have an application you can download, which will sync chosen folders on your computer to their online storage.

learning
18-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look into those options mentioned.

wainuitech
18-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I use Skydrive myself and never had a problem in all the time its been operating.

Mike made the comment "Who can tell these days after MegaUpload. "

The way I look at it, some places will be here today gone tomorrow, along with all data. I'd never use any cloud based location as a primary source, only as backups.
The chances of Microsofts Skydrive disappearing over night is slim, and even if it were to close for some reason there would always be a good deal of time advised before hand.

ChazTheGeek
18-06-2012, 07:27 PM
+1

CYaBro
18-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I use www.box.com for myself and somehow managed to get my account upgraded to 50GB for free!
The only problem is you are limited to a max file size of 100MB on the free accounts.
There is also doesn't appear to be any official www.box.com software to install on your PC to upload/sync your files so you have to do it via the website.
I don't use it all that often so never bothered to look for a solution.