PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Windows not loading.

lakewoodlady
16-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I was at a friend's this morning trying to help with setting up her Netcomm wireless connection. Part way through, Windows crashed and then would not start again.
The machine is an Acer laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The error was to do with a missing communication link with a removable storage device. The friend said she had taken the external hdd off three days ago, because it was not behaving. As far as she knows all the files are backed up on it ok.

Right, when I powered it on, it crashed straight away and wanted to do a launch repair which I selected from the options. It begins to load Windows files and almost gets to the end then crashes again and goes back to the original message. I have tried it in Safe Mode and it just does the same things, going around in circles and having to keep pressing the power button to switch it off or on.

I am really stuck now, I bought it home to try to get it going without everyone else in the house telling me all different things to try!
It has no system discs for it, but the friend has a recovery cd she had made. Unfortunately that did not work either. It had some sticky stuff on it and had been lying around somewhere and its all scratched and dirty!

Is there a way to get it loading Windows again? It is under warranty still, so don't want to do anything too drastic if i can avoid it.

Cheers, LL

pctek
16-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Repair fails, then do a complete reinstall. She's sure all is backed up??? If not pull the drive out and do another backup first.

lakewoodlady
16-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Um...... there is no disc to do a reinstall with. If I pull the drive out, will that void the warranty?

LL

Nick G
16-06-2012, 06:29 PM
afaik it will not void your warrantee unless you damage the hdd in the process.

lakewoodlady
16-06-2012, 06:56 PM
afaik it will not void your warrantee unless you damage the hdd in the process.

yeah, that's a lot of help, thanks.....:eek:

LL

pctek
16-06-2012, 07:22 PM
It's easy to take the drive out, and it can be hoooked up to a USB adapter. HDD is the one thing they do make easy to take out - there's a compartment underneath, undo screws and pull it out. Simple.

So long as you have the COA sticker, you can just get a copy of a Windows CD. I know 2 techs here who would have one.

Nick G
16-06-2012, 08:00 PM
yeah, that's a lot of help, thanks.....:eek:

LL

Well, of course user damage will void the warrantee:rolleyes:

lakewoodlady
16-06-2012, 08:20 PM
hmmm... thanks for the replies Pctek and Nick g, I will leave it to the owner to decide, she is coming round to pick it up tomorrow.

LL

wainuitech
16-06-2012, 10:24 PM
You really need to run the repair Via the DVD or rescue CD - if the onboard one gets damaged its hopeless. if the CD cant fix it, there will be a message / Log, that will tell you exactly why it cant be fixed automatically, then its a matter of finding the fix for it.

lakewoodlady
16-06-2012, 11:16 PM
There is no DVD or rescue CD, ( the recovery one she had made was no good, as I mentioned in the first post). The error states that there is a problem communicating with a removable storage device or a hardware or software change. Which is not very helpful.
It is no longer my problem, and the owner is going to pick up the laptop tomorrow and take it back to the shop (tricky dicks). She has since been able to get her daughter's laptop connecting fine to the wireless, which is what I was doing with her's when it all turned to custard. Also, she has tried the External hdd in another older computer that she has there, and everything is backed up to it ok. So, that is good at least!

Cheers, LL

feersumendjinn
17-06-2012, 12:53 PM
It has no system discs for it, but the friend has a recovery cd she had made. Unfortunately that did not work either. It had some sticky stuff on it and had been lying around somewhere and its all scratched and dirty!
You could try cleaning the disc with soapy water, or meths or something, then take it to your local video hire shop, and get them to polish the scratches off.

lakewoodlady
17-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for that feersumendjinn, That could be worth a try.

Cheers, LL

AvonBill
18-06-2012, 01:06 PM
If she made a recovery CD that normally means the machine has a recovery partition. Just a matter of finding out the correct key to press on startup, to start the recovery process from the recovery partition.