PDA

View Full Version : Bridge genius and netcomm nbplus4wn routers

8ftmetalhaed
15-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Wanting to use my old netcomm to hook up the xbox to the interwebs without using my laptop and ICS.
Tried doing it when I first got the routers but couldn't figure out how to do it.
Both the netcomm and the genius were giving out DHCP addresses, and after I changed the IP address of the netcomm I couldn't regain access to it (whoops).
I'm not entirely sure if I need to give the xbox an IP address via the netcomm, but I've never bridged anything before so it's kind of confusing.
I reset the netcomm and gave up after that, but keen to know exactly how to go about doing it.

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2012, 02:47 PM
The Netcomm won't really work in that respect, it's going to try and route all connections out its own WAN connection. You need a wireless AP for this.

8ftmetalhaed
15-06-2012, 08:41 PM
So I can't simply turn on the netcomm's access point mode?

decibel
15-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Yes, this does work. (presuming you have one Ethernet port on the Netcomm connected to one Ethernet port on the Genius)

You have to turn off DHCP in the Netcomm, tick the box which says "relay all DHCP requests to....." (add the IP address of your Genius)
Assign a static IP address to the Netcomm (sounds like you have done this)

Also, make sure you have a different SSID on the Netcomm.

Chilling_Silence
15-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I stand corrected :)

8ftmetalhaed
16-06-2012, 01:01 AM
The idea was to bridge them wirelessly so I can get my xbox online, which is a room away from the genius. It looks like it's possible but will cut all wireless throughput in half. This is seeming quite complicated though, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just use my laptop. Since I don't want to actually play online, I haven't done that in years (still have 1 trial month membership). I just want to sequentially slot in all my discs and check for any updates and perhaps download some rockband songs or something.

I mean xbox live constantly being on would be nice, and having the clock set would be cool too (currently it resets to a few years in the past every time i unplug/turn off my kit) but this is seeming like it might be more hassle and less use than I thought it wuold be.