PDA

View Full Version : Issue with pc

nedkelly
10-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I have a pc which is running a AMD Phenom II X4 955 black edition on an Asus M4A89TD Pro/USB3 board with 4gb of ram and a Gigabyte HD6870 1gb gpu with a 660W PSU.
I have had the machine for a while sitting in my room and I recently loaded a new 500gb wd blue hdd in it and stuck Windows 7 ultimate on it.
I was using it this weekend to do some gaming with a mate and when the game started to load the screen would lock up but I could still hear the in-game sounds on my headset.
I jumped back to the desktop screen and it said something about my AMD graphics driver was having an issue so I closed the game and installed the latest Catalyst from AMD's site and restarted the pc.
When it came back on the issue did not happen I thought the issue was fixed but I just opened up Skyrim and the exact same issue happened so I left it and then it came right and I started gaming.
Left the pc for dinner with the screen off and game paused, came back and turned the screen and headset back on, the sounds were playing but the screen was locked up solid, had to end task and lose the game.
What could be causing the issue I am having?
Would really like to get this fixed before next weekend when I have a gaming LAN to go to.

mikebartnz
10-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Give Memtest a run to rule out a memory issue, also check the temperatures too.

nedkelly
10-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Temps are ok, cpu sits at 34c idle and got to 47 underload, gpu did not break 65c

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Look under event viewer. See what that says.

mikebartnz
10-06-2012, 10:55 PM
If you have another power supply around try that.

PC builder
10-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Sometimes happens to me but i just press CTR-ALT-Delete and cancel out of it then usually my screen un freezes. Not sure if it will help but worth a try.

pctek
11-06-2012, 08:38 AM
660w? Hmmm. And what game is it? Might just be the game itself.

nedkelly
11-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Had a look in even viewer and came across "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully Recovered" and The AMD FUEL Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
I dont have another powersupply this powerful and with enough connections.
Did not work with skyrim the first time.
It was Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and also another one.

I disabled TurboV EVO which came with the motherboard and it seems to have settled down, maybe it was that playing around with the CPU that was causing issues.

ChazTheGeek
11-06-2012, 09:01 PM
I far less powerful system to you and I can play Elder Scrolls: Skyrim fine. I think it is known to be a buggy game. If you reinstall the game it may fix it.

nedkelly
11-06-2012, 10:10 PM
That was a fresh install