PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Gigabyte?

Jayess64
10-06-2012, 06:12 PM
I alluded to this issue a month ago, and I am interested to know if anyone else has encountered this problem:

In the last 4 weeks I have had the same issue with Gigabyte P67A, Z68XP and Z68X mother boards. After running smoothly for a period (ranging from 1 year to 1 week), the PC spontaneously restarts and goes into a 'boot loop' in which the system powers up, then restarts. It may reach the POST stage but then restarts and repeats this cycle. In the case of the P67A board, which first showed this behaviour, at the POST screen there was a message 'Waiting for ME ready' and a countdown number from 9 to 0. At this stage the cycle would repeat itself. Once this pattern is established it is impossible to get into the BIOS to, for example, load the Fail Safe defaults, and the PC is essentially unusable. A search on the web shows that the problem seems to be relatively common with recent Gigabyte boards, but it may not be confined to them. The range of 'solutions' offered to the problem indicates that no-one really knows what is going on, and Gigabyte seem to be very quiet about it although this issue has cropped up on their forum a number of times.

Links to the problem are:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1034724/gigabyte-p67-z68-boot-cycling-problem
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,8841.0.html
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,8965.0.html
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,8967.0.html

In my case the configurations used were:
1. GA-P67A-UD4-B3; Core i5-2400 CPU; 4x2 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM; Corsair GS600 600W PSU; Win 7 x64; Palit GeForce 9400 graphics

2. GA-Z68XP-UD3; Core i5-2400 CPU; 2x4 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM; Corsair GS600 600W PSU; Win 7 x64; Palit GeForce 9400 graphics

3. GA-Z68X-UD4-B3; Core i5-2400 CPU; 2x4 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM; Silverstone ST60F-ES PSU; Win 7 x64; Asus GT520 graphics

Board 1 failed after just less than a year. The vendor provided a RMA, and board 3 was sent as a replacement. I purchased board 2 before the RMA was issued; it failed after 1 week and I got a refund. I can't complain about my treatment from the vendor, but this issue is driving me nuts. I have not seen any local comment on the problem, but surely I can't be the only person in NZ to have been hit by it. I should make the point that no attempt was made to overclock any of the boards and most BIOS settings were left in their default state. Right now I feel that I can't trust Gigabyte - the problem is I'm not sure whose motherboards I can trust.

Can anyone cast some light on this matter?

pctek
10-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Well, a bad batch. ASUS is the other choice. MAybe them form now and go back to Gigabyte once they've sorted it.

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Dont buy GB mobos? You do have to change some settings on some mobos. Instead of leaving them on the default settings. I've never built a GB system. Only ASUS. The only thing I've changed in the BIOS tho is the FSB frequency. Both of these think the ram is 667, but theyre 800. So, I changed both to 800

If GB wont tell anyone, I suppose you cant do anything about it. Except, buy another brand of mobo

Iantech
10-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Built a heap over the years using above mentioned motherboards, have not had a problem with any of them apart from 2 which have been faulty from the start which the supplier replaced. Have always found them pretty stable and reliable here. Sounds a bit like some sort of hardware incompatibility to me.

DeSade
10-06-2012, 09:28 PM
I have been using Gigabyte stuff for a while now, never had a issue with any of it from Motherboards to Graphic cards.

dugimodo
10-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I have the same board as your 1. and I did see similar problems a couple of times when I first built it, especially when trying to get the XMP RAM profile to work. Eventually I gave up and defaulted the setting and it worked ok but had stability issues I couldn't pin down.
After RMAing the motherboard and testing the RAM several times it did turn out to be faulty RAM, replacing it sorted it and it's been fine for about a year now (touch wood). From my experience and some of the forums I read I get the feeling these boards are a little finicky on RAM compatibility. I tested mine with the corsair vengeance kit when it got replaced and couldn't fault it but still went back to the G.skils ripjaws I'd got in the meantime out of paranoia (and because there was no advantage either way).

Given that you've experienced the exact same symptoms on 3 different boards I'd be inclined to start looking elsewhere. The odds of getting 3 boards in a row with the same fault would seem to be smaller than the odds of one of the other components you've used every time being either faulty or incompatible with the board in some small way.

Sometimes it's not a fault exactly, I had a pc that had a peculiar reaction to standby mode and occasional crashes for years. I could never figure it out but learned how to avoid doing the things that caused it. When I was building a new machine to replace it I discovered that the problems went away as long as that particular motherboard and graphics card were not used together, individually they worked perfectly but together they had issues.

Yorick
11-06-2012, 01:04 AM
I had the same problem with a GB board a year and a half ago, the vendor tried to tell that it was Linux causing the problem, after I convinced him of the error of his ways I got a replacement board, did the same. Changed the PSU which fixed the problem. Put the "broken" PSU on another non GB board and it worked fine. Computers can be a PITA

8ftmetalhaed
11-06-2012, 03:16 AM
It seems ram might be a common theme for this sort of thing nowadays. A friend mentioned not long ago he was trying to install ddr 1600 in his new kit (not sure if it was gb or what) but it kept bootlooping at the higher frequency. He replaced it with a different brand running at the exact same frequency, it worked fine, but the original ones weren't faulty.

I'm using a GB board and it's perfectly fine, mind you.

inphinity
11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I'd be looking at the CPU if I were you...

bk T
11-06-2012, 11:36 AM
My X58A-UD3R board has problems in recognising the XMP RAM. It froze a couple of times and complains that the OC is not set properly, this happens 3 times already! Press Del to enter BIOS and quit without changing anything fixes the problem. The Kingston RAM passed the Memtest, though. This board has been with me for about 1 and a half years now.

Came across another Gigabyte board, can't remember the model with very similar problem.

And it seems Gigabyte boards have the POST beep problems, too. It fails to have the '1 short beep' code when certain BIOS setting is changed.

Anyway, won't use any Gigabyte boards from now on. ASUS will be my choice now.

DeSade
11-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I am the opposite.
After bad experiences with ASUS hardware I will only use Gigabyte now.

BBCmicro
11-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I have the GA-Z68XP-UD3, Rev 1.0, with i5-2500k, OC to 4.1GB. The MB is not giving any problems but originally there were errors here and there such as detecting imaginary devices and CPU fan not working (but otherwise it worked). The supplier replaced the board and everything came right (and I didn't re-install). I have the Intel 20 GB cache and therefore BIOS is set to RAID. Win7pro64

Jayess64
12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my post. It seems my problem is not part of a plague that is killing motherboards throughout NZ, which is a bit suspicious. It is entirely possible that I am doing something stupid when I put my systems together, although I have lost count of the number of systems I have built that have run faultlessly for years.

Dugimodo comes close to what I am starting to think:

"After RMAing the motherboard and testing the RAM several times it did turn out to be faulty RAM, replacing it sorted it and it's been fine for about a year now (touch wood). From my experience and some of the forums I read I get the feeling these boards are a little finicky on RAM compatibility. I tested mine with the corsair vengeance kit when it got replaced and couldn't fault it but still went back to the G.skils ripjaws I'd got in the meantime out of paranoia (and because there was no advantage either way).

Given that you've experienced the exact same symptoms on 3 different boards I'd be inclined to start looking elsewhere. The odds of getting 3 boards in a row with the same fault would seem to be smaller than the odds of one of the other components you've used every time being either faulty or incompatible with the board in some small way."

The last comment had occurred to me, as well, except that by board No.3 all components that were plugged into it were different to board 1. Except the CPU, as Inphinity picked up. That's possible, but I am not entirely convinced. There may be something else going on.

This experience has made me sit back and rethink what I actually want from a PC. Today's high-end boards & CPUs are getting faster and pack more features into smaller volumes, so it is quite likely that getting different components working together requires critical tuning and some post-assembly tweaking. That is not my expertise, I don't like meddling with parameters I don't understand (especially when it costs money), so perhaps I should stay away entirely from there. I don't need to be at the cutting edge of PC technology, what I want is connectivity in terms of available USB ports and sufficient RAM to be able to use Lightroom to handle photography. It might be more sensible to move down-market and let the big boys play with the powerful stuff.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.

dinos22
13-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Ive seen people having boot loops online and a lot of them were RAM related, some needed bios updates or RAM RMA or event CPU replacement. Try update to latest bios first and if that doesn't do it I'd look at testing another chip as it seems your issue has appeared after a year of normal usage and now appears much faster even on new boards!

Jayess64
13-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Ive seen people having boot loops online and a lot of them were RAM related, some needed bios updates or RAM RMA or event CPU replacement. Try update to latest bios first and if that doesn't do it I'd look at testing another chip as it seems your issue has appeared after a year of normal usage and now appears much faster even on new boards!

Fair comment. The problem is that the system is in such a state that I can't even get into the BIOS. Whatever the actual cause of the problem is, it seems to clobber the BIOS - some people claim there is a bug in the Gigabyte Dual BIOS. I might try again soon. One of the 'black magic' cures I have read is to remove the motherboard battery and leave the system for a day or so. Apparently some people see a miraculous cure when they do this. Maybe it only works at Easter...

dinos22
13-06-2012, 02:27 PM
maybe the bios is corrupt also, try reflashing it as well, that could explain the Easter miracle you talk about :)