PDA

View Full Version : Unable to load Google and Facebook

gogranny
08-06-2012, 07:53 PM
with either Mozilla or Explorer. Google quit Wednesday, Facebook around 3 weeks ago. Toshiba Satellite XP Home Edition.
Please help :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2012, 08:08 PM
So what do both do?? Just hang?

Nick G
08-06-2012, 08:35 PM
have you virused scanned, updated recently?

mikebartnz
09-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Impossible to say with the little info you have given.

gogranny
09-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Sorry, what information would you like me to give? Running Norton 360, so virus scanning running, and scanned with Spy-Bot. Says 'all clear'. Can you suggest any other reliable programs that could find malware that could be running? We're on a wireless network from our main computer.

gogranny
09-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Husband's laptop. . . he's not a happy chappy :-( I'm doing my best to find the fix - but unfortunately I don't have the skill to do so.

sahilcc7
09-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Running Norton 360

Well thats one problem, try removing that and using msse.

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Its probably Norton blocking something. I would uninstall it and install something else

lakewoodlady
09-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Norton probably, try downloading, then updating and running Malwarebytes. Also if you're on XP are you using IE8?

LL

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Good point LL. By the looks of it FB no longer supports IE 6 or 7. And some versions of firefox. And Google no longer supports IE 6 or 7, for Google docs or Gmail. Or Firefox 3.5. It probably applies to YouTube as well

Nick G
09-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Husband's laptop. . . he's not a happy chappy :-( I'm doing my best to find the fix - but unfortunately I don't have the skill to do so.

Download teamviewer, and Pm me your id and password. I'll have a look.

Or ask Speedy :)

gogranny
09-06-2012, 12:45 PM
So what do both do?? Just hang?

This is the message:

"The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

So, checked the firewall for allowance of Firefox and Explorer to access web. Hubby can access other sites using Firefox, just not Google or Facebook. Our business has a Facebook page.

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
So what version of IE and firefox are installed?? You'll have to install IE8 for FB. Since it no longer supports IE 6 and 7. And IE 7 and 8 if you mean Gmail. Since, it no longer supports IE 6 and 7

gogranny
09-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Its probably Norton blocking something. I would uninstall it and install something else

So Norton can be a problem? Will try Malwarebytes as suggested by 'lakewoodlady'.
We are going to upgrade the business computers shortly (PC and laptop) ... Oh boy...I feel another headache coming on :-))

gogranny
09-06-2012, 01:03 PM
So what version of IE and firefox are installed?? You'll have to install IE8 for FB. Since it no longer supports IE 6 and 7. And IE 7 and 8 if you mean Gmail. Since, it no longer supports IE 6 and 7

IE8 and Firefox 12.

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Norton and Mcafee are 2 of the crappiest programs / firewalls around. I wouldnt install either on anything. If you want as NickG said, install teamviewer on it (http://www.teamviewer.com)

Then send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM. And I can check it out from here

Nick G
09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I know that message. Unplug your router, leave it for 10 minutes, then plug it back in. I used to aways get that message when I had left the router on for a while without using it, and that was the fix.

gogranny
09-06-2012, 01:09 PM

IE8 and Firefox 12.

gogranny
09-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Norton and Mcafee are 2 of the crappiest programs / firewalls around. I wouldnt install either on anything. If you want as NickG said, install teamviewer on it (http://www.teamviewer.com)

Then send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM. And I can check it out from here

Golly - thanks for that info. Am currently downloading Malwarebytes onto the lap top. Will first off run that. While that's running will turn off the router. If no joy when everything comes back to life, will install Teamviewer. So guys, when we update our computers, what do you suggest for firewalls - or is Windows okay?

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Just as long as you dont install dodgy software / go to dodgy sites, windows firewall is fine.