PDA

View Full Version : Clean install of Tiger OS X not proceeding - hangs on blue screen... :S

caffy
07-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Hi all,

Trying my luck asking a Mac OS X-related question on this forum :)

I'm going to sell a Powerbook G4 that I somehow acquired, and never really used.

I've been told to do a clean install of Tiger OS X before selling, to clean it up you know.

Problem is, when I load the DVD (named Mac OS X Tiger Install DVD), and run it, the laptop restarts, loads fine on the grey start up screen, and then goes to a blue screen with mouse arrow at top corner and hangs there.

I've attached a few photos of what I am seeing.
Start up
the blue screen
Options I get, when I hold down option button when starting up. If I choose my HDD, I can get into OS X normally, and then eject disk, and then the laptop will start up normally.
the safe mode(?) when i hold down shift button. It says something about no debugger configured - I've tried looking on Google what that means, to no avail.

I am hoping someone can help me out here, and explain in a way I will understand (I'm a native PC user!). I wonder if it is the DVD that has a problem, or the debugger thing?

Thanks in advance.

Safari
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
If you are starting up from a DVD, make sure it is the disc that came with your computer. Discs from other Mac models may not work with your computer.

Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

Agent_24
07-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Maybe there is something wrong with the DVD or the DVD drive?

icow
07-06-2012, 06:30 PM
You need to be using retail mac os x tiger disks for the install. If they aren't it will not work, or they need to be the disks that came with that specific model of powerbook e.g. tiger for powerbook5.0 Anything else will refuse to install/fail to install

nedkelly
07-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Caffy where are you located? I think I have a 10.4 retail disk floating around at home somewhere.

caffy
08-07-2012, 04:46 PM
You need to be using retail mac os x tiger disks for the install. If they aren't it will not work, or they need to be the disks that came with that specific model of powerbook e.g. tiger for powerbook5.0 Anything else will refuse to install/fail to install

Unfortunately I don't have the original disks, they didn't come with the laptop...so been trying two different discs, to no avail.

How can I change the name of the HDD/profile as it is under my name, to sell it "clean"?

caffy
08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Caffy where are you located? I think I have a 10.4 retail disk floating around at home somewhere.

Would it work? as I've tried two different discs, keep coming up with the same error screen.

nedkelly
08-07-2012, 05:16 PM
It should work, all you would need to do is boot the DVD and reinstall it and then as soon as the welcome video starts playing turn it off then it is 100% clean and ready for new owner.

caffy
09-07-2012, 01:48 PM
That'd be great, I'd like to give it a try, I am in New Lynn, and you?