PDA

View Full Version : Virus stops opening MSE

prayami
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi,

My friend has Win 7. He has not installed any Anti-Virus previously. Now He got virus in his computer. I installed Microsoft Security Essential in his computer. But when I click on MSE, it does not open. I think, the virus stops it internally.
Then I install Avast Anti-virus but same things happen. I couldn't open the Avast software as well.

Then I did the online scan from BitDefender website i.e.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html

But Bit Defender does not found any Virus.

Please guide me to clean the virus from his PC.

Thanks.

dugimodo
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Without knowing the specific infection it's difficult to advise. Try Malware Bytes Anitmalware (MBAM) and run it from safe mode (hold down F8 while booting to bring up the menu).

how do you know it has a virus? what are the symptoms etc.

Nick G
07-06-2012, 10:31 AM
As dugimodo said, how do you know you have a virus. If avast or MSE wont work., try panda cloud virus. Also, when you downloaded MSE and Avast, did you download from the infected computer or not?

8ftmetalhaed
07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
failing all else wait till speedy comes round with teamviewer :)

and maybe try rkill.

kjaada
07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Try downloading "Hijack this" and run it then post the output log on here where "someone"
generally Speedy will tell you what you have.

prayami
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Thank you all.

how do you know it has a virus? what are the symptoms etc.
There were two symptoms,
I downloaded the MSE from other computer and installed it on infected PC.
it was not allowed to open the MSE.
And the second:
Initially when we open the Google Crome or Firefox then it was coming up with one dialogue that says your computer is infected. I couldn't get its name. Then I installed CCleaner. There were long list of the "Start Up" programs. I have disabled most of them. And then restarted the computer. After that when I open any web browser, it does not come up with that message. And allowed to open MSE website. I downloaded the MSE again from the same computer and installed it but still blocking the MSE and even Avast.

But from the list of Start Up program in the CCleaner, I couldn't know, which is the virus.

Thanks.

pctek
07-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Spyware more than viruses.
Spybot, Malware Bytes and Superantispyware.
Also, Hijackthis and then post the log here.
Run them all in safe mode.

Nick G
07-06-2012, 02:33 PM
If you didn't have an antivirus on your pc, the message itself is the virus. Usually there is an option to 'click here to download software required to remove this virus'. Try panda cloud virus, it may be a cloud program but it's pretty good. In the task manager, are there any programs or processes running that you don't know about. Kill them and try to run Avast again.

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Boot into safe mode / networking. Install teamviewer on it (http://www.teamviewer.com). Then run it. Then send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM. And I'll have a look

Agent_24
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Then I did the online scan from BitDefender website i.e.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html

But Bit Defender does not found any Virus.

Try the Bitdefender bootable RescueCD - the virus won't be active when you boot that, so it can't hide.

gary67
07-06-2012, 04:55 PM
It's a browser hijacker by the sounds of it which sets your internet connection to their proxy changing it back to not use one usually stops it running so you can then use something like super antispyware to remove it

Nhashon
07-06-2012, 11:34 PM
How about system restore ,did u think about it . I know some viruses can stop u from doing a system restore , but I think u should try even in safe mode . That's my personal thought .

PeterQ
08-06-2012, 08:30 AM
It would be interesting to know the outcome presuming it is fixed

prayami
14-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Finally I did little progress. I installed "Spybot" and it detects many viruses. I deleted all. After that I can successfully open the MSE. Then I did quick scan with MSE and it detects many virus. I cleaned all. But there are still some viruses.
Two things happen, which indicates there are still viruses:
(1) When the computer starts, it opens three to four command prompts and then closed. It was not showing command prompts on the starting previously. I think, Spybot is preventing the virus to open on the starting.
(2) MSE showing message that it detects the virus and it has been blocked. And restart your PC to completely remove it. Even though we restart, MSE always comes up with same message.

Boot intoInstall teamviewer on it (http://www.teamviewer.com). Then run it. Then send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM. And I'll have a look
Hi Speedy, I will send you the TeamViewer user id and password. Is it possible to do it after 4pm in weekdays or anytime in the week ends?

Thank you all.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I wont be online from this saturday / sunday for the next 2 weeks. I'll be going to my mums place, in the waikato. She's not online. I can look around 5 today/tomorrow if you want. Or have a look now, if youre not busy