PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling XP. (this is a different laptop)

8ftmetalhaed
05-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Just been handed another laptop, a toshiba tecra this time.
It had a DLL issue that was stopping explorer starting, I fixed that.

I tried installing MSSE, windows complained it wasn't genuine, but activate windows said it was already activated.

Installed MBAM, removed a few trojans, restarted, now it wants to activate, when I click to do so it claims it's already activated.

Would I be able to use the XP pro COA sticker on the underside with my XP (i think SP3) disc if I just went and reinstalled from scratch?

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Try this (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/bb68de23-c718-4d43-bb17-39512302b654). The 2nd post. Something may have corrupted some files

8ftmetalhaed
05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Well friend said the existing key should work and unfortunately I literally just set the install going.

Probably for the best, even a repair install would leave whatever viruses and whatever else are on the thing there. Was running norton 2004 that wasn't set up, and MSSE as I say wouldn't install.

Just hope the key works hah.

8ftmetalhaed
05-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Well ****. It doesn't like the key.

Suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Try what I posted

8ftmetalhaed
05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
But the drive's been formatted.

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Sucks to be you then :p You'll have to install another version of XP or put Linux on it

8ftmetalhaed
05-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Bummer. I don't have have any other install CD's.

Friend suggests installing then using a key changer. Or failing that I can try to find an image that'll work.

Using my key but gonna leave it unactivated for now.

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Is XP on it now?? I could have a look with teamviewer if its online now. If it is

8ftmetalhaed
05-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't want to put it online if it tries activating itself. And yes XP's on it now, my disc is edit - sp2 but it would seem the COA sticker's for an original copy of XP.

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
I dont think it will activate itself. Well, I cant remember XP activating itself without help (from the user). You would have to do it from the menu

8ftmetalhaed
05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
alright, I'll flick teamviewer on it by 9:30 then

8ftmetalhaed
05-06-2012, 10:42 PM
gah just noticed this thing has no lan drivers. naturally.

brb installing.

wainuitech
05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
You can install XP SP3 without a product key, then when you try to enter it ( from memory - been a while) it gives you the options to phone MS when it fails.

Had to do this once years ago and after a bit of convincing and answering multi questions that proved the COA was in fact genuine, the help guy at MS manually activated it.

Iantech
06-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Yep, you're right WT, its an 0800 no. that you call. When you press the button to activate by phone, it creates a series of digits (6 boxes of 6 numbers I think, or maybe 8 boxes?), you follow the automated girlie and have to punch in all the numbers when she says, it will then generated a series of digits back to you - I used to write them down and punch them in as it went and make sure it activated before hanging up. If it doesnt give you a code back, you are then transfered through to an operator who can then produce the series of numbers/letters required to activate it once you have convinced them it is genuine. Indeed, it has been a long time since having to do this also so cant quite remember exactly.

8ftmetalhaed
06-06-2012, 03:07 AM
well bleh, might try them tomorrow or something. or study for my exams that start on friday. Either way, used my license. It's now up to date and presumably virus free. Took till 5 minutes ago to get the wireless set up, thanks for the help @speedy.
Bleh though, working on 256mb ram. It's almost as frustrating as the last laptop was on 1gb running vista. That thing literally took over 24 hours to finish updating from vista vanilla to SP2 and beyond.

edit- my last niggle with it is when I go to shut it down it ends some task called 'Sample'. Googling reveals it could be a trojan, I think it might be one of the incorrect wireless drivers if it isn't. I'll sort that tomorrow.

Also, finished ripping sister's CD's to MP3. And I didn't get to play any video games at all today (hardly). How depressing.