PDA

View Full Version : Sky/Freeview Coax cabling

wratterus
05-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to be helping some friends who are doing some renovations on their house, mainly with cabling for home theater etc. As well at cat6 + speaker cabling, I'm planning on doing 2 runs of coax down the wall to where the TV is going - one for the sky dish and one for the UHF aerial which I'll install (for freeview HD).

I did have a 100m roll of RG6, it was the 'sky grade' stuff, and it's worked a charm. I want to get another roll, but problem is I can't remember what exactly it was - is dual shield the stuff I should be after?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/tvs/cables-aerials/auction-480152335.htm

Like that? Thanks. :)

wratterus
05-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Another thing too actually - I use twist on F-connectors, as i don't have a crimping tool, but they aren't really ideal. I often find that a lot of the braiding on the coax has ripped off while the connector is being twisted on. Any tips or tricks to overcome this?

dugimodo
05-06-2012, 04:37 PM
I thought all RG6 had to conform to the same standard (diameter, loss in db/m, shielding) so that was all you needed to know. I wasn't aware there could be different grades of RG6. And the braid damage is largely unavoidable. It's only a problem if you take the connector off again really. As long as enough of the braid is in contact with the connector to make good electrical contact everything is fine.

wratterus
05-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks dug, I was under the impression quad shield was actually a bit bigger diameter, and was tricky to work with if standard size plugs etc were being used. Have grabbed the dual shield.

dugimodo
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Well I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if it is larger in diameter or has extra layers of shielding then it's not RG6 but some other standard. The point of cable standards is to make them all compatible so you can't have different variations. Or at least you shouldn't. In my industry we used to use a lot of coax and as long as it was the right standard it didn't matter who made it. Our single screen and double screen cables had different names (which I forget but I'm not talking about TV coax so it's not important).

wratterus
05-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Sweet as. :thumbs:

trig42
05-06-2012, 05:14 PM
You should invest in a crimper and use crimp F Connectors. They are not hugely expensive, and are easy to use.
TradeMe or Jaycar sell them

wratterus
05-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I am pretty tempted to....like so?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/pliers/auction-481243342.htm

b....
05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Jaycar has crimp tools at a much better price.