PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Cnet TV

Tony
05-06-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm sure I'm not the only person here who watches CNET TV to catch the various tech updates. But am I the only one who is having increasing problems watching through Chrome?

What happens is the site opens, my router lights flash for a while as though it is downloading the video, and then it just stops. Doesn't happen every time, but more often than not. I've had the problem with other browsers, and in fact the only reliable way to view them seems to be IE, surprisingly enough. I used to think it was problem with Flash, but I don't think they are using Flash any more, so it's a mystery.

Anyone else experienced this, or have a solution?

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Is the router's firmware up to date? Is the latest version of flash installed? Ive never heard of Cnet TV

Tony
05-06-2012, 12:00 PM
As I said, I don't think it is Flash, but yes it is up to date. I haven't updated the router firmware lately. I don't have this problem with other site, for instance BBC News.

Check out CNET TV here (http://cnettv.cnet.com).

Ha! Murphy's law! I just tested the link above and the video worked perfectly. :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Probably something wrong with chrome. If it works in other browsers. Looks like it does use flash. But if flash was the prob, it would happen in IE and other browsers as well

Tony
05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
You are right, it does use Flash. I thought it wasn't because I was finding that a right-click on the video was not giving me any Flash-related options, but it certainly is now. I wonder if that means Flash is failing to load or something, or else the movie download is actually just not happening and the problem is with CNET.

It is not just Chrome -that just happens to be my default browser. As I said, I've tried it in other browsers when there has been a problem, and the only one that seems to be consistently reliable is IE.

paulw
05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
I gave up watching CNET TV after all the slash and burn about 6 weeks ago when they killed off most of their podcasts . It's been going down hill ever since..

Tony
05-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I gave up watching CNET TV after all the slash and burn about 6 weeks ago when they killed off most of their podcasts . It's been going down hill ever since..Yes, I'm not watching as much as I used to. I especially miss the Buzz Report, although they were spruiking something newer and better when it finished.

PeterQ
05-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I actually thought that you would have to download the latest flash on each browser, maybe wrong

Nick G
05-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I actually thought that you would have to download the latest flash on each browser, maybe wrong
Yes, you would usually need to download the flash pluggin.