PDA

View Full Version : USB hub

stratex5
05-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Hi,
Is there such thing as a wireless usb hub. I want it for a keyboard and mouse so i can use them in a sort of theatre setup.:)

pcuser42
05-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Why not just use a wireless keyboard and mouse? :confused:

stratex5
05-06-2012, 11:28 AM
The mouse i can find, but a keyboard with macro keys i cant plus i also need it for pluging my usbs into.

MushHead
05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
There's a couple of networkable USB hubs around; I recall Belkin made one & I'm sure there are others. The hub sits on the LAN & you have special software on the PCs that redirect USB requests over the network. In your case, unfortunately, you'd need a WiFi access point also to get it to run.

There is a wireless USB 2.0 standard & I'm pretty sure Belkin were an early adopter of that with a hub just as you describe (USB dongle in PC & 4-port hub connected remotely via wireless USB), but I don't remember seeing them around in real life. Possibly too expensive and/or just never caught on?

stratex5
05-06-2012, 12:30 PM
So for the first one, does that use some of my data cap?

MushHead
05-06-2012, 12:48 PM
So for the first one, does that use some of my data cap?
Nope - it sits on your LAN. Search for "network USB hub" & you should find a couple. I haven't seen any that are natively WiFi, so you have to use an Ethernet cable to go anywhere. That could be just to a wireless access point if you already have wireless LAN in your house. Beware that some reviews of the Belkin unit I mentioned weren't that happy with the speed, so running hard drives off the unit might be a bit sluggish, especially if you're streaming video.

stratex5
05-06-2012, 12:54 PM
So do you think a keyboard might lag if i used it?

MushHead
05-06-2012, 03:08 PM
For low-speed devices like mouse & keyboard, I doubt it. If you're doing bulk transfers such as copying media files to/from a USB stick, then probably. Whether the keyboard/mouse are affected if some high-bandwidth device is also operating (eg using mouse while streaming a movie off a USB device), I just don't know.
A review of the Belkin device is here (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3961) or here (http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-and-wi-fi/belkin-network-usb-hub/4505-3243_7-32467513.html). Note that they had issues with supplying current for higher-power devices, so you may not be able to run an external USB-powered HDD off it, for example. These were readily available a couple of years ago, but nowadays maybe there's too many cheap clones (http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Digitus-Network-USB-20-4-Port-Hub/10339347/) around.

stratex5
05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
So even if I were to be gaming, there would be no lag or any interference from the device?

CliveM
05-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Logitech put out a wireless keyboard and mouse that will do what you want very well.

dugimodo
05-06-2012, 04:45 PM
There are wireless mouse and keyboard sets that claim to be good for gaming and they might be ok, but in general it's not the best Idea. You don't want any additional latency between you and the PC or it makes the mouse feel like the pointer is on a short rubber band following your movements around. Gamers usually stick with cords.
I wouldn't know if a wireless hub would have the same issue, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Also it's incredibly aggravating when the battery goes flat while you're gaming. I tried a cheap logitch wireless combo and also with a basic microsoft one. I wouldn't game on either one.

stratex5
05-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Logitech put out a wireless keyboard and mouse that will do what you want very well.

Do you know the model #?

There are wireless mouse and keyboard sets that claim to be good for gaming and they might be ok, but in general it's not the best Idea. You don't want any additional latency between you and the PC or it makes the mouse feel like the pointer is on a short rubber band following your movements around. Gamers usually stick with cords. I wouldn't know if a wireless hub would have the same issue, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Also it's incredibly aggravating when the battery goes flat while you're gaming. I tried a cheap logitch wireless combo and also with a basic microsoft one. I wouldn't game on either one.

Im not a hard-core gamer and dont spend too much time on the pc, so battery doesn't matter much. which keyboard do you recommend?