PDA

View Full Version : thermal sensor

31-10-2001, 03:39 AM
my new pc has a rather nice variable speed power supply fan which is controlled by a thermal sensor on a short lead. the only prob is that there is no info on where to put the sensor.

ideas anyone?

31-10-2001, 09:02 AM
Generally there is a small two pin jumper near to the CPU, otherwise look up the scematics on the manufactures website. (the Hardware program on the cover CD of Nov pcw is great to find who made what in your computer) detected all of my add on cards (not on MS HCL) should work for you.

31-10-2001, 10:25 AM
????? someone needs more coffee this morning.

the thermal sensor has nothing to do with the motherboard.

(sorry if this double posts but pcworld has been going off air faster than a bad tv sitcom)

31-10-2001, 12:24 PM
Cooler is better.

Unless there is a risk of damaging the fan or anything else by having it try to go TOO fast, then just put it near the CPU which should be warmest.

31-10-2001, 01:11 PM
ok so far the difference between putting it in the hsf and putting it at the top of the case right next to the psu intake is about 5 degrees C cpu temp. looks like i might have to keep it by the cpu, but the drawback there is the cpu fan helps keep the sensor cool. unfortunatly this heatsink dosn't have a big large base that i could put the sensor next to out of the air flow.

the werid thing is that on a bigger case the sensor wouldn't reach the cpu. the min speed is at 30 deg while top speed is at 90 deg. 90 deg case temp? i do not think so!

05-11-2001, 05:21 PM
Hey tweak'e,
I recently had my PSU in bits replacing the supply fan, and I noticed a little component in the leads. Still not sure if it was a temperature controller, but it was cemented onto a component heatsink sitting behind the fan. If theres any heatsinks in there, they would be the best place to start.
:)