PDA

View Full Version : Disk Checking

Nick G
03-06-2012, 12:50 PM
As most of you probably know I set up win8 to dual boot along win7. Was on win8, and it crashed, just wouldn't do anything, so I crash stopped it. Turned my laptop on again, selected win7. Windows then ran a disk check, all good and I used win7 fine. Anyway, the next timei turned it om, I got the windows boot manager as per usual. Selected win7 as per usual. But, windows did this.

'Checking file system on C:
The type of file system is NTFS
Volume label is OS.
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.
You may cancel the disk checks, but it is strongely recommended that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk...
Chkdsk is verifying files
Chkdsk is verifying indexes
Chkdsk is verifying security description'

I then get the windows boot manager, and select win7 again.

The same thing happens, and this repeats. Third time round I skip the disk check, and boot into win7 normally. Everything works fine. So, why was it checking the same disk over and over and over?

Thanks

Webbnzl
03-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Pretty sure if Windows finds and fixes any files on a disk check it will run it again to make sure nothing was missed.

mikebartnz
03-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Try booting into Win8 and if it succeeds it may go away.

Nick G
03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Ok, tried booting into win8, worked fine. Booted into win7 again, got the same thing. So, I just let the disk checks run.Checked four times, then booted normally. Shut down, booted into win7 again. No problems this time, and my laptop is working normally again. I still have no idea why it felt the need to check my C drive four times though.

mikebartnz
03-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Good show.