PDA

View Full Version : Modem disconnecting/ modem restarting?

Iwidie
03-06-2012, 02:27 AM
This has been an annoying problem for a long time.. What happen was while I am on the net, the modem disconnects from adsl. So modem disconnected from ADSL suddenly and then the modem will try reconnects to ADSL. This normally happen every 3-5 mins. Anyone know what is happening here? Tried change my modem, not overheating or anything... Sometime it works perfectly fine, sometime it play up as above, mostly happen after 12am.

Trev
03-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Where are you from ? What make of modem ? Who is your ISP ? Yes I get suspicous with these first time posters, who post after midnight with a very vague question and cannot speak proper English.
:)

Iwidie
03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I was using Dynalink, and today I bought a Netgear modem and the problem still exist. My provider is Telecom. AND does my English have anything to do with my question, or am I not allow being here on this site asking question?

Peter H
03-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Your English is better than many on this forum. Do you have a wired phone on the same line? If so, listen for any noise, buzz etc. Have you done a speed check? What area are you in?

Jen
03-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Where are you from ? What make of modem ? Who is your ISP ? Yes I get suspicous with these first time posters, who post after midnight with a very vague question and cannot speak proper English.
:)I think you ought to have stopped after the first three questions. There is no need to insult new members because you are being *suspicious*. I imagine you don't like it when others point out your spelling/grammatical weaknesses.

Iwidie, welcome to PressF1. We are generally a friendly bunch and there is nothing wrong with your post. I hope you get your problem sorted. :)

Trev
03-06-2012, 10:32 PM
:)

icow
03-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I was using Dynalink, and today I bought a Netgear modem and the problem still exist. My provider is Telecom. AND does my English have anything to do with my question, or am I not allow being here on this site asking question?

Have you tried contacting telecom? Could be faulty wiring. Are you covered by line maintenance? If so any call outs *should* be free.

Agent_24
03-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Have you tried calling the Telecom helpdesk? They can run some tests on your line...

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Unfortunately not *all* Dynalinks and not *all* Netgear routers are good, so I wouldn't entirely rule that out.
Same for checking your filters, your ISP will also ask you to do an isolation test which means leaving everything *but* the router unplugged for a period of XYZ hours and seeing if it still happens. If it stops, it means one of the devices like a cordless phone or something is interfering (Though it's not the most likely thing, it's still something you can do on your own and costs nothing for your to test).

One thing to make sure is that you've got the "Wiring and Maintenance" as has been mentioned. If you do, then all service to your home wiring and things is free. If you don't, and Telecom come out and find you have a faulty jackpoint in your house causing the issue, then it'll be $175-ish for them to fix it. Wiring and Maintenance is only about $3 a month or something, so you might as well get it.

Welcome to the Forums.

Iwidie
04-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the advises, will ring them tomorrow.

adslgeek
21-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I think you ought to have stopped after the first three questions. There is no need to insult new members because you are being *suspicious*. I imagine you don't like it when others point out your spelling/grammatical weaknesses.

Iwidie, welcome to PressF1. We are generally a friendly bunch and there is nothing wrong with your post. I hope you get your problem sorted. :)

Aww! What a sweet and great comment!
And welcome, your English is just fine! :-)

I think it was more a reflex against link building bots than anything else!

adslgeek
21-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Hey guys, one of the simplest methods for detecting line quality and condition is simply to just get in there and check it.

1) speedtest.net if your speed is fast then it's less likely to be line issues unless they are large impulse noise (eg burst of static)
But this is a very quick proxy way to see the general line condition.

2) pingtest.net
Jitter and packetloss again can be used as a proxy indicator for a possible line / physical layer issue

3) By far the most accurate is to log info the router and check line stats directly (instructions for your router here:
www.adslgeek.com/dslmodem/Dynalink/)

From that the SNR and Attenuation tell you directly the state of your line. Use my troubleshooter if you don't know what they mean. Or message me your stats and I'll reply directly.

Cheers!