PDA

View Full Version : Ext HDD good prices

linw
02-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Dicky has good value USB 2.0 Seagates ATM. Just bought a 2TB Expansion drive for $139. 1TB is $129. Cheaper than buying the drive on its own!

They are std drives inside aren't they?

icow
02-06-2012, 10:05 PM
They are, only thing is you lose warranty by taking the drive out of the enclosure i believe. Still great value. I'm going there tomorrow :p

ronyville
02-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Often I have found that the drives in those cases are generally green drives with with slower rotation speeds (5400rpm). Good for data storage but not performance.

icow
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Yeah it is a 5400rpm drive.

DeSade
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up, just brought one.

wainuitech
03-06-2012, 09:11 AM
They are not always normal drives these days - some manufactures build with the circuit board connected directly to the Drive - no sata connections.

Agent_24
04-06-2012, 12:31 AM
They are not always normal drives these days - some manufactures build with the circuit board connected directly to the Drive - no sata connections.

Shouldn't be with these particular ones though, from the videos I've seen on Youtube.

Anyone who bought one - what drive did it come with? Can you find the model number?

linw
04-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Bit chary of trying to pop the lid. All those plastic clips to break! Is there another way of getting the drive to reveal its secrets?

linw
04-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Some details-

ST320005EXA101

Product Features
2 TB, USB 2.0, 5900 RPM Performance
Plug n? play ? no software to install
Simply drag-and-drop to save files
Built-in power management ensures energy efficient operation
1-year limited warranty
Technical Details
Brand Name: Seagate
Model: ST320005EXA101-RK
Warranty: 1 years warranty
Hardware Platform: Pc
Hard Disk Rotational Speed: 5400 RPM
Width: 8.80 inches
Height: 3.20 inches
Weight: 2.74 pounds

Paul.Cov
04-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Damnit man!

I've already got more drives than I need, but that price was way too sharp to ignore.

Thanks, I think... more drives and more cable to add to the mess.

linw
04-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Sounds like me!!! I can't say I REALLY needed it but there ya go.

Bit disappointed to come back to my comp after a couple of hours to find the new drive is spinning. My WD Essentials 1 TB drive shuts down when not being used so I leave it on all the time to take care of scheduled backups.

So much for the "Built-in power management ensures energy-efficient operation" on the box.

Agent_24
04-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Bit chary of trying to pop the lid. All those plastic clips to break! Is there another way of getting the drive to reveal its secrets?

Disk Utility in Linux can read the model number apparently

There must be something for Windows too

8ftmetalhaed
04-06-2012, 03:12 PM
AFAIK the WD ones use their green drives, I imagine the Seagate onse would use their equivalent.

Also, damnit, once I realised they were cheaper than an internal was new I decided to get one myself. And it wasn't too long ago (re early last year) I bought a 1tb one for $97.

Clerk confirmed my suspicions, they're selling them off to make way for the USB3 ones.
While I'm leaving mine external, it certainly wouldn't make a difference if we were plugging them into the PC eh? An internal drive is an internal drive.

edit - checking new egg seems some people are having a high rate of failure with these things. Not sure what to make of that but we'll see I guess.

linw
04-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Yes, certainly, they are clearing out USB 2.0 ones. I'm not worried as my usage is not time critical. Just backups done in the background in the main.

Others have removed these drives and put them into PCs and they have gone fine.

OK, plugged my one into a rear USB port and it now seems to spin down. With the Seagate Dashboard you can set sleep time. Must be careful with those front ports. They may have been why my phone got bricked while being updated!

The reports of the click of death are a bit of a worry. If mine develops clicks it is going back!

BTW, that darn Dashboard carries Norton PC checker with it. Sods.

Agent_24
04-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Maybe I should grab one while they're still around...

What kind of temperatures do they run at? I would hope they're not one of those ones that ridiculously overheats. I recall an early 3 or 4TB external Seagate was terrible for that, if you did a filecopy for too long it would just get hotter and hotter and the speed would get slower and slower.

linw
04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Doing a 256GB copy now. After 40min it has copied 68GB at 29MB/s. The case is not perceptibly warmer than at rest. So I am pleased to say the heating problem is not with this 2TB drive.

8ftmetalhaed
04-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Did an image of the laptop I've been working on, it managed fine enough. Hoping it holds up, given the data on the 1tb's rather important. Might have to stick that stuff on DVD's.

Slankydudl
04-06-2012, 11:04 PM
It always seems a good idea to get an external drive for an internal drive so long as it is just for storage as the drives in externals tend to be of the lower rpm.

linw
06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Ok, these drives stink where power saving is concerned. Many people probably just power them up, copy stuff, then power them down so don't see a problem.

I thought mine was fine. It spun down after the 15 min delay and spun down when I put my computer to sleep. Good so far.

But, next morning, the comp was still asleep but the drive was spinning. Woke comp, couldn't see the Seagate drive. Had to power the Seagate off and on to get it seen. Others have had this problem as well.

So don't buy this if you want it to behave itself while permanently attached. My WD Essentials drive just worked exactly as it should with zero messing around.

So, I'll keep my WD as the permanently attached backup drive and use the Seagate in switch-on switch-off mode.

Oh, another thing, the power save spin down relies on a service running so doesn't apply on another comp w/o that service running.