PDA

View Full Version : After a new/old HDD

icow
02-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Need a new (old or new) SATA HDD as my current one is full. Decided that buying a new 1tb HDD probably isn't worth it as I won't be needing that much space. Tried on GPForums but got pretty minimal response. I was about to pickup a 640gb WD Blue for $45 inc shipping but when the guy went to test the hdd it didnt power up at all. So if anyone has seen HDD's on the cheap anywhere or has one which they are willing to sell a PM or post here would be appreciated.

Paul.Cov
02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Trademe? Usually littered with used 40GB IDE drives, but worth a look.

icow
02-06-2012, 09:35 PM
After SATA and would prefer 250gb+. Could get a ide to sata adapter but the fact the most motherboards dont even support ide now says something about the age of the drives. Also people on trademe dont tend to know what they're on about when it comes to things like HDD's. Heard way too many stories about people getting duds. Hence why im asking here, would prefer new or something from someone who knows what they are doing and will be easy to contact if it is broken.

linw
02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Bit of a coincidence but I got in a 6'ish yr old NEC machine with an 80GB SATA HDD that wouldn't boot. Managed to get it running (good old chkdsk) but it has 4MB of bad blocks. Seems a damn shame to put in a 1TB drive!!

It only has 26GB used so even a 40GB would do for the life of this machine.

It's a bit of a conundrum, eh.

Nick G
02-06-2012, 10:18 PM
have you thought about a SSD?

linw
02-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Nah, it's not mine and that would cost well more than a sata drive.

icow
02-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Going for a ssd + hdd setup.

pctek
03-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Metla
How about we remove the word god and insert "imaginary friend of your choice"

Just saw that.
What do you mean imaginary friend? If I had friends like that I'd run away very fast, imaginary or not.

Delusion of your choice perhaps...

icow
03-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Notice the link next to "Metla". I suggest you click on that and read the whole thread. If you have a problem with it, I suggest you take it up with the mods. If you have nothing to say that has anything to do with this thread then go post somewhere else. BTW thanks for the bump.