PDA

View Full Version : USB cables

pcuser42
02-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Why would a manufacturer (in this case Panasonic) say in their product manual only to use the USB cable that came with the device? :illogical

PC builder
02-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Maybe they don't want people saying their device is faulty just because they bought a cheap USB cable off the net. Just a thought

Nick G
02-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Or they only want people to buy panasonic USb cables

Slankydudl
02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
covering their asses incase somone uses a different cable that doesnt work then they dont have to do anything in terms of warrenty,

dugimodo
02-06-2012, 10:18 PM
If it's a standard cable then it's Just a case of arse covering as already suggested, in some cases though manufacturers use a non-standard plug on one end.

On a completely unrelated note, I will never give in and use the american "ass", it will always be spelt "arse" assuming the forum allows that to be displayed.

feersumendjinn
03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I've noticed "mom" and "bathroom" are creeping in as well.:eek:

gary67
03-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I've noticed "mom" and "bathroom" are creeping in as well.:eek:

Who is creeping in the bathroom that's just wrong

Agent_24
03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Why would a manufacturer (in this case Panasonic) say in their product manual only to use the USB cable that came with the device? :illogical

I can think of three possible reasons:

1) Their cable has a ferrite bead attached for EMI reduction, if you were to use one without it, the product may not operate correctly or it may cause the PC it's plugged into to operate incorrectly.

EDIT: (May also be that you need a cable built for USB 2.0 etc, an older cable with USB 1.x in mind or a cheap crap cable may not be of good enough construction for decent signal integrity either)

2) Their cable might have a non-standard pinout, and using a standard cable may cause damage to device and host. (unlikely to be the case though)

3) They want to try and convince you that if the cable breaks you have to buy a new one from them for a ridiculous price.

I would put my money on 3 and maybe 1.

pcuser42
03-06-2012, 01:34 PM
1) Their cable has a ferrite bead attached for EMI reduction, if you were to use one without it, the product may not operate correctly or it may cause the PC it's plugged into to operate incorrectly.

This cable does, so perhaps that's a reasonable explanation.

2) Their cable might have a non-standard pinout, and using a standard cable may cause damage to device and host. (unlikely to be the case though)

I would hope if they use non-standard pinouts then they also use a non-standard connector :p

3) They want to try and convince you that if the cable breaks you have to buy a new one from them for a ridiculous price.

:devil

Agent_24
03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
I would hope if they use non-standard pinouts then they also use a non-standard connector :p

Unfortunately that's not always the case... fortunately it's not often.

Slankydudl
03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
If the device gets a fault and you happen to be using a different cable then you have voided their warrenty and they do not have to replace it.

Agent_24
03-06-2012, 06:48 PM
If the device gets a fault and you happen to be using a different cable then you have voided their warrenty and they do not have to replace it.

They would probably try to argue that, if you told them you had been using a different cable.

But it think that would carry about as much weight (or less) as that "3rd party ink will kill your printer" rubbish. (CISS excluded!)

Slankydudl
03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah but the point is that they will try to avoid warrenty as much as possible and addign a few lines to the warrenty probably saves the malot of money.

Billy T
03-06-2012, 07:50 PM
In recent times I have met up with apparently standard cables that most definitely are not compatible with standard parameters.

Three examples come to mind: The USB cable for Navman GPS units, the cable for charging one of the low-range Samsung phones, and the cable for a DSE 40-in-1 Card Reader. In each case, both ends look the same as other USB cables, but they most definitely do not work. I have had to colour-code the non-standard cables to key them to their respective devices. I think that the device end is called a 5-Pin mini-B.

It is very frustrating when two leads that appear identical in all respects are quite clearly incompatible, but there is no marking on any of them to suggest that they are different.

On top of that, only Navman have the decency to tell you that you must use the supplied cable, and it has a white tag on it. By a process of elimination I found that the Navman lead would work on the Card reader and vice versa, but the third example seems to use a unique configuration that is not compatible with anything else.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :mad:

dugimodo
04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
I have multiple devices with mini USB charging cables (or is that micro "shrug"). A couple of them don't have the data leads wired in the cable so they only supply power but won't work for anything else. I actually find them quite handy for charging my smartphone without the windows pop-up etc.