PDA

View Full Version : Install XP on that blasted laptop, yes or no?

8ftmetalhaed
01-06-2012, 10:01 PM
edit - tl;dr xp 32 bit on old laptop, yes or no?

Have a copy of 32 and 64 through MSDNAA, considering using the 32, not likely to use it myself otherwise. Don't have exact specs handy but something along these lines:

HP Pavilion dv9000t
Windows vista ultimate, linux mint 12; 2 GHz Core 2 Duo T7400; 1GB PC2 5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz; Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 256MB; 2x HDD's (1 fujitsu I believe 1's hitachi, few hundred gb in total)

While the foray into linux is educational, it'd be nice to have something that just works. And now I have the bandwidth to let the thing update itself to its hearts content I don't mind letting it do so.
Vista doesn't 'just work' though. It sits at 87% physical ram usage, and literally takes more than 5 minutes to boot.
Linux, while much faster, also has issues. Installing java was a mission, and the Nvidia driver failed to install outright.
It works, but doesn't do much of what I actually want it to.

edit - tl;dr xp 32 bit on old laptop, yes or no?

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2012, 10:20 PM
1 GB isnt a lot of ram, that maybe the reason why Vista is slow. Kill the eyecandy, it may speed things up. It maybe something in startup. Wont hurt to install XP, if there are drivers for it

8ftmetalhaed
01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
unfortunately speedy i've done all I can with the vista installation save a complete format and recovery. I'd reinstall OEM but don't have an OEM disc. Nothing much running in startup at all, I culled many startup programs and still didn't make much of a difference. Hence why I think XP would at least fare a little better.

8ftmetalhaed
01-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Well that's amazing. After years of hating this thing because of how terrible it is with only 1gb of ram, and encouraging my sister to get more, guess what?

Turns out it had 2gb in it. I just popped it open to take a quick looksie, one of the sticks was only half inserted.

I am now flabbergasted.

edit - not just because it was there but because I never had the inkling to check the bloody thing.

icow
01-06-2012, 11:02 PM
you know you can probably grab a vista iso off the interent. sevenforums iirc has all versions of 7 and XP. Probably vista too.

Edit: This: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-vista-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx

Agent_24
02-06-2012, 12:13 AM
With 2GB of RAM you should be fine with either Vista or 7, but I would use Win 7 out of the two.

But, XP will probably run even better.

A Linux distro that isn't bad would work well too.

8ftmetalhaed
02-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Unfortunately it would take effort to get a license for win 7 enterprise else I would. Still might at some point. Still might put XP on thsi thing too, I'll see if I can put it through its paces now it's something sort of worth using.

Greven
02-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Are there XP drivers for everything in the laptop?

Agent_24
02-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Are there XP drivers for everything in the laptop?

Should be. Going by the specifications it sounds old enough. Geforce 7 series came out before Vista...

8ftmetalhaed
02-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I would assume so. Mint 12 handled it ok, and I sort of want to do it since there's a few things that I can't seem to change with Vista, like removing old bluetooth devices, an incompatible printer that keeps trying to reinstall, Ccleaner still sees bittorrent as being installed (it wants to clean its traces, not that I can find any of the damn things)

Going to try reinstalling vista from the recovery partition, update everything (lol two service packs plus worth of updates I believe) using some of my 200gb cap, chucking XP on afterwards and maybe linux again.

Any idea how many GB vista's going to chew through doing this? 3? 10? 50?

Agent_24
02-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I would guess closer to the 3GB mark for the updates. Probably wouldn't be more than that anyway. If you install the SPs first, you shouldn't have to download all the updates that preceded them.

8ftmetalhaed
04-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Just an update on this. I culled the mint partition, reinstalled vista from the recovery image (some fellow on FB reckoned I could use an OEM key with the vista ISO, but whatever nevermind), it started updating around 3 pm yesterday, finished around 7:30 this evening.

Pulled the updates from the temp folder and put them together with the drivers folder on the second harddrive, so they might come in handy at some point.

I've installed and updated MSSE, put on MBAM and Ccleaner, plus firefox, uninstalled all the bloatware and pretty much every program it had on it (minus vista itself har har), may put mint 13 on it or something, or still yet use that xp disc, not sure.

It's actually running alright now. I'm gonna biff some stuff on it in the coming days and see how it handles with a fresh install and the extra gb ram.

Agent_24
04-06-2012, 01:29 AM
The extra RAM will help a lot, and SP2 should speed it up too. Don't forget the latest drivers.