PDA

View Full Version : Genius router, YT downloads

8ftmetalhaed
31-05-2012, 11:02 PM
tl;dr got genius, router works, but currently DLing 1.3gb vid from YT. It keeps stopping every few MB and sitting there, claiming to be running at 600kb/sec then going down very quickly, then either stopping dead or carrying on and having the speed bump back up, then go back down until it remembers it was supposed to be doing something again.

All my other traffic is fine, and pausing and resuming it sends it shuffling along again, but any idea as to why it's stopping/slowing down in the first place?

Chilling_Silence
31-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Could be that the video isn't cached? It *could* be the router too doing that but I *really* gave my router a hammering and it took quite a beating. Not as good as the NB6Plus4Wn but pretty darn close...

GameJunkie
01-06-2012, 12:20 AM
i've download big videos off YT at over 1.1MB/s on regualr occassions, and downloaded games on steam at up to 1.7MB/s all with the NB6Plus4Wn :D

8ftmetalhaed
01-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Well finally got it downloaded a short while ago, heh. Watching other vids also helped it along a bit, i just thought it was likely the router given no prior problems with the NB6plus (chilling, I STILL love you for suggesting that) but suddenly having issues now i've been put on genius.

I shall have more questions tomorrow, but for now I'm going to bed. Night you lot :)

Chilling_Silence
01-06-2012, 09:07 AM
;-) No worries mate.

Another thing to try would be this morning firing it up and seeing how it goes now it's no longer peak times, that'd begin to rule out congestion at your cabinet...

mzee
01-06-2012, 11:26 PM
This was one of my complaints with the Genius Router. When uploading and downloading files it would stop and start all the time. It wouldn't even run U tube without stopping every now and again. The problem was never resolved.