PDA

View Full Version : Freeview and VCRs.

Bryan
30-05-2012, 11:36 AM
When analog ends and digital starts how will I recorded television programs onto a VCR? I assume that I will need to attach the VCR between the Freeview box and the TV. However, if the VCR only has an analog tuner, what then?

Renegade
30-05-2012, 11:50 AM
RCA cables? Downside is you can't tape one channel and watch another. Probably best to ditch the VCR and get a HD or flash based recorder.

dugimodo
30-05-2012, 11:52 AM
VCRs won't be a very good option for freeview, they only way to record with them would be to connect them to a set top box or the output from a freeview TV which would then have to be left tuned into the channel you wished to record and the VCR set to record from the AV input. Some set top boxes, and possibly TVs, have a schedule option to change the channel at a certain time, but you'd have to figure how to program both that and the VCR as well.

Really if you record more than the occasional program you're better off with a freeview HDD recorder or TiVo or similar device that does have a freeview tuner in it, VCRs are ancient devices now and even if you are still happy with them manufacturers are no longer interested in them.

AvonBill
30-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Tivo's are routinely on special at Noel Leeming or Bond & Bond for $199.

apsattv
02-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Put the VCR in the bin, come on its 1970's technology. Time to upgrade!!

Is your Freeview box satellite or for the HD terrestrial service? any USB port on it?

Bryan
02-06-2012, 09:32 AM
My terrestrial freeview is built into my main TV and also in my PC monitor (Samsung Syncmaster B2430HD). It's all virgin ground for me so I will be looking at a box that probably has a HHD, USB (in and out?) and other goodies (what I don't yet know). Maybe connections that I can connect and play VCRs through to - all good intel would be appreciated.

Lurking
02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
This recent article might help.

We have the same worry, 2 vcrs', 1 vcr/cd/dvd player and 1 dvd/hd recorder/player.

3 old tvs' 1 new Veon, the latter has been tuned in except the vcr/cd/dvd unit has not and probably is not able to be tuned for TV7, mind you that's almost history too.

Lurking.

paulw
02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Put the VCR in the bin, come on its 1970's technology. Time to upgrade!!

Is your Freeview box satellite or for the HD terrestrial service? any USB port on it?

Buy a TiVo. They're real cheap at present..

Koenig Tiger
02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Saying ditch the VCR is not very helpful when one has used it for years and have therefore amased alot of tapes.In fact you could say one doesn't have the option of ditching it if you see my point as you still need it to play the bloody tapes even if not recording.You can buy a freeview box for around $100 so you can keep your VCR going thru rca as has been said.Epescially if you stocked up on VCR's before they disappeared from the shops like I did...I have lost count of the number times some muppet in the shop says to me "Why don't you convert your tapes to DVD".I tell them do you know how many bloody tapes I have....Since a minority of programs are in HD then it follows that a VCR is still more than sufficient for recording plus I can play it in any room I want in my house.I can't do that with my stupid Tivo now can I ? Unless I carry it and physically move it to another room.I still do not know of anything out there that offers the same flexability as the VCR.The reason I got the Tivo is that it's damn good value against just x Freeview box like the Dish TV one for $169 against $199.00 for the Tivo which ofcourse can do so much more.I mean you'd have to be a muppet to get the Dish TV wouldn't you...I'll probably get another couple at $199.00 as it's a crazy price and such good value.Hell I can even programe to record. it from my PC thru Tivo Genie etc...

Please don't put the VCR down when it has served us well since it's flexability is still King....Tivo is a good alternative though I will admit but still inferior to the VCR....

linw
02-06-2012, 10:00 PM
But they won't go forever. It's the rubbery bits that will likely get you in the end.

dugimodo
02-06-2012, 10:10 PM
I've converted tapes, it's very time consuming and I'd hate to consider it for a large collection so I understand wanting to keep the VCR for playback and it should be easy enough to hook a VCR up to a modern TV still.

As for playing it in any room, if you get the networking package for your TiVo you can transfer shows between TiVo's, transfer it to a PC, and find and play recordings on one TiVo from another on the same network. Not quite as flexible as a tape (pun intended) but even better in many ways, it can even stream photos and videos from PC to TiVo I think. I haven't actually used these features though, I have a media PC in the lounge which makes it unnecessary and I don't keep my recordings once I've watched them.

A cheap PVR option for anyone with a PC is to add a Tuner card, under windows 7 media centre it comes pretty close to everything TiVo does except there's still no support for more than the now/next guide in NZ and it's about half the price of a Tivo on special, about the same if you buy a media centre remote as well.

Agent_24
04-06-2012, 01:38 AM
I've converted tapes, it's very time consuming and I'd hate to consider it for a large collection so I understand wanting to keep the VCR for playback and it should be easy enough to hook a VCR up to a modern TV still.

I have lost count of the number times some muppet in the shop says to me "Why don't you convert your tapes to DVD".I tell them do you know how many bloody tapes I have....

Yeah but if you want to keep them, you should convert them. Tapes won't last forever, and you might as well start sooner than later.

Hard drives\DVD mightn't be that much more reliable, but at least once the video is digital it's much easier to copy and backup, also copying is lossless.

That said, I'm not saying you should ditch your VCR either, if it works well for you, great, I still use mine for recording sometimes too. But the tapes are the problem. Just a thought...

Renegade
04-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Absolutley start converting. I have a few that have gone moldy, so keep an eye on them if you store them away.

apsattv
05-06-2012, 12:26 AM
What do you have on VHS that needs keeping? I can understand with personal stuff. But old VHS recordings of tv shows? many of which appear in the Warehouse DVD bargain bin for $5?

Can you even buy blank VHS tapes these days?

Agent_24
05-06-2012, 12:37 AM
But old VHS recordings of tv shows? many of which appear in the Warehouse DVD bargain bin for $5?

There have been many films that were never released on DVD.

Koenig Tiger
05-06-2012, 04:55 PM
What do you have on VHS that needs keeping? I can understand with personal stuff. But old VHS recordings of tv shows? many of which appear in the Warehouse DVD bargain bin for $5?

Can you even buy blank VHS tapes these days?

I mainly have old shows some of which were recorded in 1981 onwards.And yes they still play great as they were only ever recorded on TDK Super Avilyn.Yes I can still buy them as my local Noel leeming orderes in for me if I order 20 x etc..Maybe not much longer though.Clearly I will have to start recording to DVD in which case I'll have to get one of those Panasonic HDD/DVD PVR.As I said I have quite a few tapes so converting is not an option as it would simply take to long...If there's a way of getting recorded stuff off the Tivo then that could work for me.As I understand it this can be done perhaps with the network package that costs $99.
What worries me is it encrypted meaning I can only store but not play on the pc's ext hdd???

Agent_24
05-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Might want to look into using an HTPC for recording instead, then everything you have recorded is in a PC-readable and normal format from the start

Billy T
05-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Good quality tapes are still available at various outlets, Supermarkets, and the Warehouse. Any of the 'Name' Brands are OK.

You can also record Freeview to a VCR using a cheap Freeview box at $90-$100 depending on the current sale pricing. It seems that most TVs seem to lack AV outputs these days, we have a Sony, a Samsung and a Sanyo covering a period of about 5 years and none have AV out, only AV in (in various flavours).

I too 'stocked up' and bought a NIB Panasonic HiFi Nicam SuperLP VCR/DVD Player off TradeMe for peanuts, you just have to be patient and wait for a good one to appear. This one was still in the box! I have a couple of DVD 'Video Recorders" as well, one is an HDD/DVD PVR and the other I'm not sure about, but they will have to run from a Freeview Box as well because I don't like the off-air VHF/UHF analogue quality these days.

One gripe I do have about Freeview and the range of flat screen TVs is the time the FreeView Boxes and the flat screens take to boot up, and their slow channel changes as well. P's me off that some models don't seem to let you re-order the channels either. My office Sanyo is one example, I though I had it all set up and saved etc per the manual and it worked fine till I turned it off then it went back to the old order again, then I saw a line in the book that said it wouldn't or couldn't do that. :mad:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

linw
05-06-2012, 11:26 PM
What is 'normal' PC format? Be wary as NZ digital HD uses HE-AAC audio encoding which can be a bugger to find the right codec as we are in a strict minority using this.

Agent_24
05-06-2012, 11:51 PM
More normal than some probably proprietary thing hidden away in who knows what filesystem type on a DVR hard drive, I expect.

Koenig Tiger
06-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Another gripe with Freeview is the annoying variation in volume levels when you change channels.Choice TV on 12 is so quiet especially...Luckily it has rubbish on mostly so don't watch often..The Loranz freeview box looks okay for just feeding my vcr's....Anybody got one? If so what say you about it?Is it okay??

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/loranz-freeview-terrestrial-receiver.html

Any impressions of it appreciated..

Renegade
06-06-2012, 04:52 PM
I had one of those briefly, but took it back as it played up. I had a lot of "Not valid enter recorder" error messages after stopping and starting recording.
I think it's more stable with a software upgrade, but I remember it was impossible to contact them through their very minimal website to find out where to get the file from- the email address bounced. There's some threads on Geekzone about this particular mode. Just checked http://www.loranz-av.com and it's had a huge makeover since the last time I looked, so check if you can get the software update before purchasing.

Lurking
06-06-2012, 05:02 PM
You can also record Freeview to a VCR using a cheap Freeview box at $90-$100 depending on the current sale pricing. It seems that most TVs seem to lack AV outputs these days, we have a Sony, a Samsung and a Sanyo covering a period of about 5 years and none have AV out, only AV in (in various flavours).

One gripe I do have about Freeview and the range of flat screen TVs is the time the FreeView Boxes and the flat screens take to boot up, and their slow channel changes as well. P's me off that some models don't seem to let you re-order the channels either. My office Sanyo is one example, I though I had it all set up and saved etc per the manual and it worked fine till I turned it off then it went back to the old order again, then I saw a line in the book that said it wouldn't or couldn't do that. :mad:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy the pic in my original post mentions the AV cable for the vcr.

Go along with the gripe you mention.

Lurking.

Billy T
06-06-2012, 05:26 PM
The Loranz freeview box looks okay for just feeding my vcr's....Anybody got one? If so what say you about it?Is it okay?? http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/loranz-freeview-terrestrial-receiver.html Any impressions of it appreciated..

We have two of them and apart from one DOA and another KIA in the first couple of weeks, (from the very first batch and both were replaced immediately, no questions asked, Hardly Normal didn't even want to see the paperwork) the replacements have settled in and seem quite good. It can take a few minutes to interpret the chinglish manual, but it is far from the worst I've seen, and they were a bit slow operating until we did the software update (now set to run automatically in the middle of the night, if the unit is left on standbye and that keeps us up to date).

Re Signal quality and decoder performance, our Loranz boxes are running off a geriatric UHF antenna and a truly ancient VHF aerial dating back to the early 1970's which feed via a combiner and long cable to an amp in my dowstairs office at the rear of the house, then from there the signals feed into a range of splitters etc, after which the Manshed signal goes underground out to the Garage about 40 metres away from the amp. Signal at the end of the line is perfect!

So, it is not at all fussy about signal quality, and in fact I'm thinking of buying another to use on the VCR. We don't notice volume changes between channels, but find it best to set the Loranz to 50 and leave it there, then continue to use the TV remote to set listening levels, because sound volume is different between the decoder and DVD players etc.

My only criticism is that you have to move sharpish when changing channels via the number pad because if you hold a button down too long you get repeats, and if you are too slow you get whatever channel the first button calls. You can put them in sequential order on the remote apparently, but I've not got around to it yet.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

One other peculiarity, when you press the on button, the red led stays lit for a quite a while before changing to green. You find yourself swearing at it when your favourite program is about to start then all of a sudden it changes and you are away. I reckon it should change immediately and not act as an boot-status indicator, which is what it seems to be.

Zippity
06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I still have some 200 plus VHS tapes that I have to convert to DVD and place in my F1 library collection.

Sure it takes a while doing them one at a time, but it is all worthwhile in the end :)

DrewP
06-06-2012, 06:15 PM
To record on the VCR all you need is an analog signal. If you are wanting to use the built in tuner in the VCR you will be out of luck as it won't have any signal to recod. However if you have something like a freeview box with an analog signal output you should be able to connect the VCR to it and record. Your challenge of course will then be trying to watch one channel while recrording another.

Another thing to watcvh for is the new TV's do not have a lot of older style connectors. Everything is moving to HDMI and I'm guessing your VCR does not have an HDMI output.

Koenig Tiger
07-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Great feedback guys and thanks as word of mouth is always best..