PDA

View Full Version : Orcon ADSL slowness

wratterus
29-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Got two lines here, one Orcon and one Snap. Both modems are brand new. Snap line sync's at around 18-19mbit and the Orcon at around 15mbit. I've switched the modems around and the sync speeds remain the same, so stright away there is a 3mbit ish a sec anomaly on two lines that should be identical.

Thats not the issue though, today downloading and web browsing seemed more sluggish than normal, I did a few speed tests and was shocked at the results - if you have a look at the screenshot, the ones with the IP address starting with a 2 are the snap line, the ones starting with 6 are the orcon line. All done this arvo, on two ADSL lines into the same premises.

Do you think this is an Orcon issue? It's a tad frustrating. Snap is great - can sustain downloads over 1.3mb/sec no issues, lucky to hit 400kbps on the orcon connection. Any thoughts welcome, I might give orcon a call about it at some stage. Thanks. :)

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Yeah have a chat with them.
Also, keep in mind that it's likely line-specific, not Orcon-specific about the sync speeds. Just because they both come to your house doesn't mean they're going to be identical, as there can easily be interference between your home and the consolodation point at the end of the driveway, stuff like that ....

But yeah give them a buzz, tell them you've had national traffic issues today :)

wratterus
30-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Cheers will do.

dugimodo
30-05-2012, 12:22 PM
The different sync speeds could possibly be due to different equipment at the other end as well, but in any case that's not really the issue. Looks to me like Orcon need more bandwidth somewhere between you and the test sites. Perhaps try again at an offpeak time and see if it improves, if so that points to capacity issues in Orcon (unless they deliberately limit traffic).

adslgeek
31-05-2012, 11:28 AM
The speed issues (as chillingsilence pointed out), are separate.

PHYSICAL LAYER / SYNC RATE
I would say that it is more likely to be variation in the individual line conditions (eg one cable could have a different quality joined cable / be closer to some interference / lower quality copper), this is very common to see at 1 site with multiple lines running to it, there can be a slight difference between them. In the overall scheme of things even differences of 5Mbps could just be a fluctuation from day to day, and not really worthwhile obsessing over, when the real metrics to care about are the the throughput and latency (ping time).

Of course Physical layer / Sync rate issues will always be a bottleneck, but anything faster than 5Mbps generally people really don't notice big differences when loading pages etc. Because other bottlenecks start to come into play.

Remember that if your ORCON line terminates on their kit, and so depending on the vagaries of inter-modem to DSLAM connectivity you might find more stability or speed from different routers that connect to it. I have seemed to see pretty good speed and stability from the Orcon homehub, and I had issues with an older Netgear router (though this was likely an actual individual router heating issue), but the fact remains that different routers do seem to synch slightly better on different DSLAMs.

From what I understand Snap uses Wholesale kit, so you are teminating on an Alcatel ISAM (probably) and the best router I have seen connecting to these were the Thomson routers (Supplied by Xtra), as they seem faster and most stable.

I would get the info from your router - message me if you don't know where to get that from.

NETWORK THROUGHPUT
This to me is a far more important factor, and the ISP speeds can fluctuate based on when you are using them, as well as when most of their customers are using them.
Also it is important to differentiate between National and International speeds as this is a key factor when comparing speeds

The best site for speed comparison would be www.speedtest.net and for latency www.pingtest.net as they are usually the most reliable.

- If the speed is massively different at different times of day, then this is almost always an ISP load / network issue rather than a line speed issue.
- If the speed is different between NZ to International this is often that the ISP doesn't buy enough bandwidth, or are not using good caches (eg Google / Youtube cache puts the site local to that ISP, so should be really fast).

If you are lost, and not sure where the problem is, the easiest way to find out where the problem is would be the troubleshooter http://www.adslgeek.com/troubleshooter (Pardon the selfplug, I just don't know of a simpler way to point out the problem.

Anyways, just let their helpdesk know, cause both their helpdesks are switched on / helpful.

wratterus
31-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks - I'll throw screenshots of both modems up here in a sec. I've called Orcon, they agree something is off and are going to check the profile (long distance/short distance?) or something.

I'm not concerned at all about the actual sync speeds - I shouldn't have even mentioned this in the first post. The attainable speeds in the two modems are very similar anyway.

And two speedtests done just now to Auckland (vodafone server)

gary67
31-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Lucky you I can only get 4.98 with world exchange and I'm not that far from Mot just over the water

KarameaDave
31-05-2012, 02:07 PM
You're both lucky, if my T-stick (Sierra USB306) connects (haven't a copper connection so no ADSL)
which is about 85% of the time (made up statistic ;) )
I will generally get .24 Mbs down and .12 up with a 140-280 ms ping.
This is with a 11m high external yagi pointing at Mt Rochfort near Westport
some 65 km from me and with a Rata covered hill in the way, so I
think when it won't connect it is because I'm not getting skip.

But then I'm as marginal as you can get really in this regard.

Not relevant I know but never mind :D

adslgeek
31-05-2012, 03:53 PM
There is NOTHING at a physical layer that I could think of causing that difference between physical to actual throughput.
They need to look at link congestion.

- For the Tstick issue, do you have a packet sniffer? I heard that they generate a heap of DNS requests for some reason?

wratterus
31-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Confirms what I was thinking, thanks. :)

gary67
31-05-2012, 04:47 PM
You're both lucky, if my T-stick (Sierra USB306) connects (haven't a copper connection so no ADSL)
which is about 85% of the time (made up statistic ;) )
I will generally get .24 Mbs down and .12 up with a 140-280 ms ping.
This is with a 11m high external yagi pointing at Mt Rochfort near Westport
some 65 km from me and with a Rata covered hill in the way, so I
think when it won't connect it is because I'm not getting skip.

But then I'm as marginal as you can get really in this regard.

Not relevant I know but never mind :D

I thought you were replacing the broken string with fishing braid for more speed

KarameaDave
31-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Wobbly string is wobbly string... c'est la vie.

linw
01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Plenty of kereru up your way for pigeon post??

KarameaDave
01-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Plenty of kereru up your way for pigeon post??

Yes and we are training Weka as a ground based delivery system in case of high winds! :D

gary67
01-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Yes and we are training Weka as a ground based delivery system in case of high winds! :D

What about Pukeko for express deliveries?

Iantech
01-06-2012, 02:03 PM
What about Pukeko for express deliveries?To slow, their feet are to big :D
The ones down our way keep getting run over, they arent as clever as the ones who have learned to paint zebra crossings on the road :)
Try the NZ Falcon for express delivery, hes a pretty fast beasty :)