PDA

View Full Version : Velociraptor Vs M4

icow
28-05-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm looking at a new drive for my OS and a few games. Atm I'm looking at the 64gb m4 for $129 (missed the sale :( ) and the 150gb WD Velociraptor for $99. Space is basically everything for me but the purpose of buying a faster drive is for load times obviously. What kind of difference will I see between load times in games? say bf3, d3 and sc2.

inphinity
28-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Games that are disk-heavy will see a massive increase, even from a raptor to an SSD - depending on the game, you could see up to 200% improvement.

dugimodo
28-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I love my SSD but most of my games are on a normal hard drive because of space. The load time and responsiveness of windows is awesome and well worth it in my opinion. I do have a couple of my most frequent games on the SSD but honestly for most games the loading isn't a big deal and affects gameplay very little. Then on multiplayer you load the maps super fast and sit around waiting for everyone else to finish....

I've seen 120GB SSD's at right around $200 that'd be my choice but if your budget won't stretch that far then I'd still go the smaller SSD.

icow
28-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Looks like it will be an ssd. I'm looking at spending $250 in total. I want to get a fast drive for my OS and then have another storage drive. I was planning to go SSD + 1tb HDD but I dont know if i need the full 1tb. The thing is my 250gb HDD has been full for the best part of last year and I was constantly deleting stuff to make more space. I'm open to alternative storage setups though.

Slankydudl
28-05-2012, 10:26 PM
WD caviar blacks have some form of sale on at computer lounge atm. But dont quote me on that.