PDA

View Full Version : Windows upgrade limets??

ChazTheGeek
28-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I have heard that there is a limit of upgrades to a a windows computer,. Is that true? I definitely hope not. :annoyed:

Edit: oh btw it's limits instead of limets.

icow
28-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Do you mean say having xp getting the vista upgrade and then the 7 upgrade but windows wont let you get windows 8 as an upgrade? If so I'm going to say that this isn't true, not 100% sure. Not that it matters. Buying the OEM copy of windows is always cheaper than the retail upgrade package.

Nick G
28-05-2012, 07:43 PM
No I don't think so.

ChazTheGeek
28-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I thought it was myth.

Nick G
28-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I thought it was myth.
It Is

ChazTheGeek
28-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Anyway, I recently got a graphics card for my brothers PC and I put in a 250 W PSU that smells bad (not a good sign) to cope with the card, it's below minimum requirement. I was playing a game and it laaaaaaaaggggggs. Would the PSU stop game performance.

pcuser42
28-05-2012, 08:00 PM
There's a video on YouTube of a guy upgrading from Windows 1.0 to Windows 7 via everything in between. :p

Nick G
28-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Anyway, I recently got a graphics card for my brothers PC and I put in a 250 W PSU that smells bad (not a good sign) to cope with the card, it's below minimum requirement. I was playing a game and it laaaaaaaaggggggs. Would the PSU stop game performance.
Most definately, if the psu isn't enough your game will lag.

ChazTheGeek
28-05-2012, 08:12 PM
So does that mean that it doesn't have enough power to run at it's full potential??

Nick G
28-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Yup. If the psu isn't good enough there is the chance it could die, possibly taking some other components with it. I'd get a better one.

Also it will be overheating as there is not enough power for your fan to run properly.

dugimodo
28-05-2012, 08:45 PM
If you are talking about hardware upgrades then yes, sort of.
When windows is installed it generates a key based on 10 items of hardware or something like that. Windows requires a set number (not sure 6 or 7) out of 10 to remain the same or you have to reactivate. Sometimes that just means contacting them for a new key, but if it's different enough to constitute a new computer in microsoft's eyes then an OEM version can't be reactivated. A retail version can always be transferred providing it's only on a single PC.

On the plus side if you upgrade say a graphics card and reduce the score to 9/10 you can then upgrade it as many times as you want and still be at 9 out of ten. You only lose that point once. I'm not sure what the hardware is that is checked but I'm pretty sure it includes CPU, Graphics, and Network card. I don't know what the rest is.

Any hardware that is added after installation doesn't count either unless it replaces something that was. In practice if you keep the same motherboard you can pretty much upgrade a lot without issue. My Media PC swapped CPU twice, Graphics 3 times, and RAM twice without any issues. This is all from memory from XP days and I've forgotten the specifics, but It seems likely recent versions do something similar. Additionally to this the XP activation servers only seem to remember they key for 3-4 months at which time you can reactivate a fresh install without issue. I think 7 deals with it differently.

ChazTheGeek
28-05-2012, 09:53 PM
So it is true. Makes sense.