PDA

View Full Version : Which ubuntu version to choose?

forrest44
27-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I have a friend (not very computer literate) who has issues with her computer, I think there is just too much junk on it clogging it up. It has some really quirky things going on too (eg can't get to some folders, DVD playback is mucking up, can't get on internet at times...)

I'm thinking of putting Ubuntu linux on it, that way everything will work without getting mucked up by the various stuff which clogs up windows.

Question is, which version of Ubuntu? I'm guessing a LTS release would be best. I'm not sure about the latest version, which is a LTS release - it has the new Unity GUI which may be confusing.
The next oldest LTS release is from 2 years ago.
Alternatively I could put on any release in between, of course...

So which version do you think I should go with?

forrest44
27-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Or should I go with something else? Linux Mint or something?
I'm familiar with the likes of Slackware/Debian but am not up to date with the latest user fiendly stuff, so if someone could offer some input, that would be sweet...

Bobh
27-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 has just arrived. Worth having a look at.

For the Ubuntu site go here (http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/04/26/ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin-released/).

gary67
27-05-2012, 04:13 PM
I would go with Mint it seems to work easier or in my opinion it does anyway

fred_fish
27-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I would say, if you are familiar with Debian, set that up for her.
You will have far less issues and 'support calls' than with any of the "user-friendly" lot.

johnd
27-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I am using the old LTS 10.04 and after a bit of research am about to upgrade to 12.04. From the research and playing I have done on a virtual machine, I think that the default Unity desktop is now ready for use. I would go with 12.04.

Rod J
28-05-2012, 12:17 AM
I would go for Kubuntu 12.04 LTS myself if the PC in question isn't too old.

I tried Ubuntu with the Unity desktop for a while and I just didn't like it. Kubuntu has a more traditional panel/taskbar/start menu environment that is familiar to Windows users.

8ftmetalhaed
28-05-2012, 12:55 AM
I've got mint (12) installed on my sister's laptop, it's doing alright.
Installing it took a couple of attempts, was my fault really.
However I ran into major irritating issues getting java going on it, though. It was out of date, I got oracle java 7. Didn't install right, at least as far as I could tell. Got the open java equivalent, it had no browser plugin, so still complained it was out of date. Finally got it going with open java 6, though.

Other than that, not really having any issues, but then not really doing anything with it either. Nice enough interface, I suppose. Just little windows features that I like that aren't present make it feel a little bare and teeth-grindy to make things happen the way you want.

But if you've got the bandwidth, it shouldn't be too hard to set up multiple distros and play around with them.

oh and edit my mint is the KDE one, not gnome. I also played around with kubuntu, it's basically the same thing as far as I can tell/am concerned.

Agent_24
28-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Xubuntu and Lubuntu (with XFCE and LXDE respectively) also provide a much more sensible interface than Unity, although the recent versions of Xubuntu do come with the panels pre-configured to look like Mac OSX, rather than Windows. (but it's very easy to change that)

dugimodo
28-05-2012, 09:44 AM
You'd want to check what she does with her computer and whether linux is suitable as well. It might be better to just do a clean windows install and a bit of education about not installing a million toolbars and the like. Some people are perfectly happy with Linux and only do basic things, others will curse you for it and want windows back. Maybe dual boot is worth considering.

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2012, 09:48 AM
12.04, or if she wants it to "just work" in terms of DVD support etc, then Mint 12 is FTW! :D

Bobh
28-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I have just downloaded Kubuntu and burnt the ISO to a DVD. I had a quick look at it by loading Kubuntu from the DVD without installing it. On the whole I liked it. I could access all my computer disks, including my Windows 7 data. I only had to double click on a photo, movie, PDF file or MS Office file to bring it up on the various programmes that are preloaded within the Kubuntu download. Alternatively you can use the menus to load the various programmes and then load in the data files.

The desktop CD allows you to try Kubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This type of CD is what most people will want to use. You will need at least 384MiB of RAM to install from this CD.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

Agent_24
28-05-2012, 12:54 PM
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

Is that entirely wise to install from there? I would expect daily builds would not be supported as LTS that 12.04 is.

Rod J
28-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Yes, I agree, don't install that version as it's the next release (12.10) which is in development now.

You can grab an image of Kubuntu 12.04 LTS (stable version) from here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/12.04/release/
To ease the servers workload you can download a torrent version too. I tried that method to get my image recently and it worked really well.

Agent_24
28-05-2012, 05:53 PM
I find the torrents are generally much faster too.

Or, you can use a download manager like GetRight which supports mirrors, and download the ISO from multiple HTTP\FTP servers, that lightens the load and provides faster speed too.

sahilcc7
28-05-2012, 05:55 PM
+1 for 12.04 Ubuntu. Unity feels much more polished and actually usable without lag.

v13
30-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Personally I would go for Mint 13 Cinnamon Edition. It's brilliant and has the advantage over the 'buntus in that all the audio and video codecs are installed when the distro is installed. Newbie friendly and helpful forums.
http://linuxmint.com/

Chilling_Silence
30-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Oooooh yeah new Mint! Must have only just come out, I was on their site a lil over a week ago checking for it :D

Agent_24
30-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Why did that v13 guy's post about Mint disappear?

Chilling_Silence
30-05-2012, 05:14 PM
SFS moderated it coz it included a link...

Agent_24
30-05-2012, 05:50 PM
SFS?

I saw no link in the copy I received via email notification

Chilling_Silence
30-05-2012, 10:05 PM
StopForumSpam
It's just a link to linuxmint.com as above ^^

stratex5
30-05-2012, 10:20 PM
So why did it get deleted? Was the writer a potential spammer or sort?

8ftmetalhaed
30-05-2012, 10:54 PM
yah new mint's out as of I believe the 22nd? Is there any way to update it from mint 12 in OS or does it require a reinstall?

Also stratex it gets tetchy about users if their post count is low or they're posting infrequently and contain links and so on and so forth. The exact mechanics of how it works I imagine would be found wherever it's downloadable from.

stratex5
30-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Also stratex it gets tetchy about users if their post count is low or they're posting infrequently and contain links and so on and so forth. The exact mechanics of how it works I imagine would be found wherever it's downloadable from.

Ok, so no links for new/infrequent members.

Chilling_Silence
30-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Yeah you can just edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace the name of 'lisa' with 'maya' or the new codename whatever :)

jcr1
31-05-2012, 08:24 AM
I've got a desktop Debian 6 and Linuxmint 12, both running on my Proxmox server as virtual machines. They both look pretty good; Linuxmint in particular, for a desktop linux (I'm also running Debian as a virtual server on another drive on the same machine, which makes 3 debians on the one machine:eek: -if one counts Proxmox. I digress).
The thing is, with both os's, the only choice for resolution I get is 1024x768, which is not so bad on my laptop. But on my desktop monitor - 23", it kinda seems like a disappointment.
It's not quite like it used to be, as once (I used to run desktop linuxes a few years ago) I could tweak xorg.conf and I was away. But these new versions don't seem to have xorg.conf?
Googling it I find I'm not on my own here and there are fixes.
Just something to be aware of?

Chilling_Silence
31-05-2012, 09:15 AM
I think that's proxmox-related rather than anything else. I've got a multi-monitor setup, literally just plug the cable in to the back of my laptop and it picked up the other monitor. It was then dead easy to change it from "clone" to "extend desktop" in Mint!
Menu --> System Tools --> System Settings --> Displays
Selection of resolutions and more :)

Agent_24
31-05-2012, 09:44 AM
If all else fails try XRandR perhaps

Nick G
01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Guys

to put it in a nutshell my brother wants my to setup his win7 home premium laptop to dual boot with windows. For a linux noob, which will be the most user friendly for him - he's only ever used windows.

Also, I have tried to install linux -ubunu -once before, again a dual boot. It changed something to do with how the hard drive was read, and windows couldn't access it. For when I install it, what are the common mistakes and how do I avoid them?

Thanks

Agent_24
01-06-2012, 08:05 PM
If he's only used to Windows then I would suggest anything that does NOT have Unity!
KDE for example, looks much more like Windows.

Linux uses a different filesystem to Windows, which Windows cannot read. That is probably why your Windows couldn't read the drive last time.

fred_fish
01-06-2012, 08:21 PM
It's not quite like it used to be, as once (I used to run desktop linuxes a few years ago) I could tweak xorg.conf and I was away. But these new versions don't seem to have xorg.conf?
Googling it I find I'm not on my own here and there are fixes.
Just something to be aware of?
You can still make an xorg.conf for any tweaks or if the automagic way isn't playing nice.

johnd
01-06-2012, 09:27 PM
..... Some people are perfectly happy with Linux and only do basic things,.....

Now probably you did not mean this - but this sort of reads that Linux will only do "basic things". It is more capable doing many "things" than MS Windows is - but maybe you mean it is not good at running Windows software?

jcr1
02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
I think that's proxmox-related rather than anything else. I've got a multi-monitor setup, literally just plug the cable in to the back of my laptop and it picked up the other monitor. It was then dead easy to change it from "clone" to "extend desktop" in Mint!
Menu --> System Tools --> System Settings --> Displays
Selection of resolutions and more :)
proxmox related. It was.
I upped the memory and changed display to vmware compatible (from VGA standard) and it's away. Currently using 1440x900 (1600x900 would be nice, but I guess we can't have everything:crying)
Lots and lots of resolution choices now.

Funny thing, though, I tried the same fix with a Debian Desktop vm and appear to have hosed it :lol::lol:
All good practice for bigger and better things, perhaps.

johnd
02-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I am using the old LTS 10.04 and after a bit of research am about to upgrade to 12.04. From the research and playing I have done on a virtual machine, I think that the default Unity desktop is now ready for use. I would go with 12.04.

Spent a few hours getting my data from a 80G drive to a new 1TB drive and getting Ubuntu 12.04 installed/configured. Unity does take a bit of getting used to despite having played with it in a virtual machine for a while. Things are done differently - e.g. like add shortcuts to folders in Nautilus like you used to by drag and drop.

Agent_24
02-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Unity does take a bit of getting used to

Why would you want to get used to it?

jcr1
03-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Spent a few hours getting my data from a 80G drive to a new 1TB drive and getting Ubuntu 12.04 installed/configured. Unity does take a bit of getting used to despite having played with it in a virtual machine for a while. Things are done differently - e.g. like add shortcuts to folders in Nautilus like you used to by drag and drop.

I'm downloading it now and I'll give it a "whirl". The screenshots look a bit different.
No one talks much about kde anymore. I did quite like it.

jcr1
03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm downloading it now and I'll give it a "whirl". The screenshots look a bit different.
No one talks much about kde anymore. I did quite like it.
Ubuntu 12.04 does not like vmware compatible for display, can't get any better than 1024x768. Aside from that it looks kinda compelling.
Here's a screen shot of Linuxmint12 on my windows desktop
Attached file: linuxmint_desktop.JPG (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/linuxmint_desktop.JPG) (514 KB)

zqwerty
03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
I am trying Ubuntu-Studio 12.04, impressive speed with the built in Firefox11 using the live disk.

What do I use to open and MSWord.doc?

Rod J
03-06-2012, 02:43 PM

I agree ... it seems people either love Unity or hate it. I'm in the latter camp myself. On a larger desktop (22" widescreen) the unified taskbar/panel/app menu is a pain if you've got a small application in a window at the bottom right. You can't move the panel to the bottom which I'm more comfortable with either. I just don't like the restrictions on what you can do to customise the look of the desktop in the newer Ubuntu and it just seems to me to be more suited to a smaller screen. Just my :2cents:

I find Kubuntu with the KDE plasma desktop environment much more to my taste.

My current desktop:

Agent_24
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Is it possible to get rid of that plasma widget thing on the corner of the screen in KDE4?

Rod J
03-06-2012, 03:11 PM
When you click on it it gives the menu options for the panel which you can also get by right clicking on the panel itself, so I suppose it's really redundant if you didn't want it there. I suppose it can be removed (just about everything can be customised in KDE, it has more options for customisation than any other DE I've ever seen ... some people think it's almost too much).

This is higher resolution shot of my desktop: Attached file: Kubuntu_12.04_desktop.jpeg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/Kubuntu_12.04_desktop.jpeg) (308 KB)

Agent_24
03-06-2012, 04:00 PM
What do I use to open and MSWord.doc?

LibreOffice

You may need to install it, not sure if it is already installed on Studio.

johnd
03-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Probably since whether we like it or not, this general style of doing things (Gnome3\Unity\Windows8) is the way things are going. My opinion is we might as well join the camp now rather than later.

Agent_24
03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
There are many more GUIs for Linux that are not like that.

As for Windows 8, I suspect there will be 3rd party software to address any issues. If not, then there will be a lot of people who won't be buying it.

johnd
03-06-2012, 06:10 PM
There are many more GUIs for Linux that are not like that.

As for Windows 8, I suspect there will be 3rd party software to address any issues. If not, then there will be a lot of people who won't be buying it.
Time may prove me wrong - but if we were to look at desktops in say 5 years time my bet is most will be in this style. I am willing to give it a go - until you try it as your day to day desktop it probably is too easy to say it is no good since it is different!

johnd
03-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Been playing with the HUD - I think it has huge potential for the future. Start a program and want to do something that is somewhere in the menu (e.g. GIMP where it can be hard to find things), hit <ALT> and type in a key word, click on the function/tool you want and go for it. It's good!!

Agent_24
03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Been playing with the HUD - I think it has huge potential for the future. Start a program and want to do something that is somewhere in the menu (e.g. GIMP where it can be hard to find things), hit <ALT> and type in a key word, click on the function/tool you want and go for it. It's good!!

Yeah I read about that idea somewhere... I doubt typing the name of the button you want is going to be easier\faster than clicking a menu.

Also doesn't help if it's got a funny name you can't remember.

johnd
03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah I read about that idea somewhere... I doubt typing the name of the button you want is going to be easier\faster than clicking a menu.

Also doesn't help if it's got a funny name you can't remember.
It's more about items buried in menus rather than visible buttons! --- and it uses fuzzy logic so you don't need the exact word.

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Yeah I already do that in Windows 7 and in Linux Mint. Just hit the windows key and type the app.
Have been doing it for years in Linux (Gnome with Alt + F2 for 'run') and it auto-completes what you're looking for. Very convenient when you're even semi-fast on the keyboard!

johnd
04-06-2012, 05:22 PM
OK - but I don't think you have quite understood - this is to start functions from within an app - not just to start the app in the first instance. If the app is integrated into the Unity desktop (Lib re Office is not at this stage) you can search for items in the app menu.

Chilling_Silence
05-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Ah, cool! :D