PDA

View Full Version : emails sending but not receiving

Arnie
27-05-2012, 12:54 PM
contact with xtra as pop3.xtra.co.nz emails send OK as smtp.xtra.co.nz. but does not receive, Manilla have been hopeless other than saying user and password OK. Vista on a compac laptop. Aparently he can get it to work on friends desktop.
Any suggestions??? Using ms Outlook

adslgeek
27-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Yahoo / Xtra have had quite a few issues with email over the last couple of weeks (though if that is the case today is pure conjecture / guessing on my behalf).
I seem to remember you have to use some sort of non standard port? Did the helpdesk take you through that?

adslgeek
27-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Hey this was the port settings

Incoming Mail Server: pop3.xtra.co.nz
Uses SSL
Port: 995
Username: Your email address without @xtra.co.nz
(e.g. joe.bloggs@xtra.co.nz becomes joe.bloggs)

Outgoing mail server: send.xtra.co.nz
Uses SSL
Port: 465
Outgoing server requires authenticatio

Arnie
27-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Pretty sure those were the settings but will check the port setting when I go around there in the next day or so, in the mean time I showed him how to read his emails via the xtra web site. so that's fine.:clap:clap

adslgeek
31-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah I had a customer I was supporting who their whole company was down for Email cause of the blacklisting of Yahoo sending servers, and webmail came to the fix for them as well.

I still am completely confused as to the why of the use of nonstandard ports though - that must be costing Telecom like another 10-20% more helpdesk load, (absolute top of head guess) cause people just set it up themselves, and it would fail.