PDA

View Full Version : Monitor flickering

Buff_K
27-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I may well be wasting my time by trying to save some money, but I've recently purchased a HD7850 graphics card that's pretty much working a treat, games look very pretty and run well when I plug it into my LG Flatron W2253TQ via DVI cable.

Problem is this screen is ok for gaming but a little too small for watching cricket or football late night in bed. So I'd prefer to use my ViewSonic VA2226w which is a few inches bigger. I don't have any issues with it until I try to run some more recent games such as Witcher2 or F1 2011. The menu's are sweet but once the game begins the screen flickers reasonably noticeably. You could play on, but it'd hurt your head. This screen has only one vga input so I use a DVI to VGA adapter on the graphics card. This has never been an issue for this screen before.

As these games run sweet and look great on the LG screen, does this rule out driver or config issues?

Also, as the Viewsonics largest resolution is 1680 x 1050, is it a bit silly to have this nice graphics card with this old monitor? Should I shell out the $400 for a new 27inch or something?

Buff_K
27-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Actually I thought it was only happening with my newer games, but I see it happens on old games like Medal of Honour Pacific Assault too.

Agent_24
27-05-2012, 01:09 PM
It's hard to know without knowing what the flickering looks like - can you be more descriptive? ... LCDs shouldn't really flicker at all due to the way they work. (at least not the way CRT does on low refresh rates)

Buff_K
27-05-2012, 01:37 PM
it's a kind of subtle but constant flickering. Kind of hard to describe, but it's not just a one off flicker from time to time, it's the whole screen and it's constantly flickering when I'm playing games.
I'm using the same screen now and it's not flickering.
I guess it's kind of like watching tele with a bad reception, although it's not fuzzy, just flickering.
I'll try playing with the Catalyst settings some more see if I have any joy.

Agent_24
27-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Perhaps it's running the refresh rate too high? LCD don't need more than 60Hz anyway.

Buff_K
27-05-2012, 06:11 PM
No it's not that, that's set to 60 and that's pretty much my only option (75 results in black screen).
The monitor driver was some sort of Windows generic non-pnp, now I've changed it to Generic pnp but still same issue.

Nick G
27-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Can you reset the monitor back to factory settings? I don't know if you've changed anything but that might be it. Also do you have the latest drivers installed?

wainuitech
27-05-2012, 09:48 PM
By any chance does the "flickering" look anything like the red areas or the text as shown in the pictures below ?

3829 3830

stratex5
27-05-2012, 09:53 PM
That start menu looks like its been ripped like paper!

wainuitech
27-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm only referring to the areas within the red - it looks like a flicker or static, Horizontal lines, 1st pic, second shows it much better --- if this is whats happening I can tell you exactly what the problem is.

The pictures are taken from a camera, as a screen shot didn't show it.

mikebartnz
27-05-2012, 10:43 PM
I would recommend shelling out for a 27" Led. Well worth it.

Buff_K
28-05-2012, 10:49 PM
wow, that's really bad! No the flickering isn't that bad, in fact it doesn't occur at all in Windows or watching videos or anything, just playing games. And it's a bit more subtle than that.

As for drivers... I have the latest display driver from AMD but I can't seem to install the Viewsonic monitor driver, doesn't want a bar of it, so I'm using a Windows default driver from 2006 (which if I try to update says it is the latest).

Buff_K
21-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Ok, so I haven't bothered for a while with this, but this is what I've worked out tonight: Using my LG monitor that has both DVI and VGA inputs I get crystal clear image on DVI, but if I use my VGA cable (with adapter plugged into graphics card) I get the god-awful flickering again.

So does that mean it could be the adapter or the vga cable? I'm going to try another cable at some stage.

icow
21-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Could be the cable, port on the monitor or port on the graphics card, why wouldn't you want to use DVI anyway?

Buff_K
21-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Could be the cable, port on the monitor or port on the graphics card, why wouldn't you want to use DVI anyway?

Because I have two screens and ones larger than the other, so I wanted to use that.

BUT! Just to let you all know that I'm a COMPLETE IDIOT I just noticed before that my larger Viewsonic monitor has both DVI and vga also. My god, I cannot believe after all the plugging and unplugging of the vga cable I didn't see it, haha.

So yeah, plugged in the dvi cable and she's sharp as. Back to playing Witcher 2.

Thanks.