PDA

View Full Version : Using Handbreak

Zomboy
27-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Hi there!, :banana

I'm trying to use Handbrake (for pc) to rip DVDs onto my laptop (I also have VLC medial player installed). It seems to be "working" as in it creates the mp4 or mkv file but it appears to be corrupted in some way (the video and audio are all fragmented rendering it unwatchable). I have tried multiple quality and output device settings but the output is always has the same *white noise*.

my laptop has like 3.80 Gb ram and "P6100 2.00GHz - 2.00GHz" - (I don't know what this means :waughh:) cpu

Is this remediable or am I just screwed?

Could you suggest similar software that would work better?

Thanks!

wainuitech
27-05-2012, 10:01 AM
It could be because the DVD's are copy protected.

Trev
27-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Could be because these kind of posts are illegal here.
:)

Nick G
28-05-2012, 12:16 PM
the 2.00ghz is the clock speed of your cpu.

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Basically the boys are right. Try one that's not copy protected. As for doing a regular DVD, unfortunately you'd have to be using some kind of DVD Region Free software, but we can't help you with that here unfortunately (legally grey area).

Welcome to the Forums :)

SolMiester
28-05-2012, 12:44 PM
If he owns the DVD, i see no problem with a backup copy of the disc, and that is how a lot of those rip programs are sold....for backup purposes...I would imagine the CPU isnt up for it...Do you have discrete GPU on the laptop?

Were you doing anything else at the time?

dugimodo
28-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Yeah Sol except I don't think NZ has a law that makes it legal to back-up your own DVD's like the US does. Our fair use law may allow for format shifting to another device but I'm not sure it applies to movies or video as well as audio which is what I believe it was created for. Before that we weren't even legally allowed to use an iPOD to listen to our CD collection in NZ (good thing they changed that).

In any case Zomboy we can't help you with that due to forum rules, but I will say Handbrake for PC is not the tool for the job.

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Is suggest that Handbrake is what he's after, but as mentioned he would need some sort of DVD Region + CSS removal program that'll remove the region encoding. Some that I've used cost around USD$25 but were worth it.

As far as I'm aware the law only extends to Audio CDs in NZ, not DVDs:
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/copyright-law

...so with that in mind I'll tell you that I wasn't in NZ when I made my backups ;)

SolMiester
28-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Is suggest that Handbrake is what he's after, but as mentioned he would need some sort of DVD Region + CSS removal program that'll remove the region encoding. Some that I've used cost around USD$25 but were worth it.

As far as I'm aware the law only extends to Audio CDs in NZ, not DVDs:
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/copyright-law

...so with that in mind I'll tell you that I wasn't in NZ when I made my backups ;)

And probably the reason, I'll never purchase a DVD, especially with kids around....if you arent allowed to backup it up!

tmrafi
28-05-2012, 02:03 PM
The problem would be with the CPU, not Handbrake.
Handbrake encodes to H.264 and to play it smoothly you need a gruntier CPU or a capable GPU such as Intel HD Graphics or recent Radeon Mobility or Geforce Go.

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I would have expected standard definition DVD to playback fine on that CPU, even without GPU acceleration?