PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Spliter

stratex5
26-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if there is an HDMI Spliter that has 3D support and can extend the display, not just mirror it.

The Error Guy
27-05-2012, 12:07 AM
No, you can only do that with 2x HDMI outputs from a gfx card with 2x HDMI ports or dual gfx cards.

One "pipe" cannot carry 2x signals simultaneously (at least not with HDMI)

stratex5
27-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Then ive got another question, can an electrician put a vga port in the wall and route it to another wall/room?

The Error Guy
27-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Yup, in fact anyone can do that. The only reason why you would hire an electrician to do it is perhaps the experience in pulling cables he would offer, it can be a wee bit tricky getting it right the first few times (and depending on where it has to go!)

But as long as it's just VGA/Composite/Ethernet or other PC or similar cabling you won't need a professional unless you want an easy clean job or don't feel confident getting it right.

At my other house I got mate who installs cable for some AV company to help get some CAT6 though an annoying piece of roof space

stratex5
27-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Thank you:), that will give me something to think about.

dugimodo
28-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I'd be careful and do some research, video signals degrade very quickly and to cable more than a couple of meters can require quality cables and in some cases some extra equipment. VGA is analogue so the picture degrades slowly unlike HDMI which tends to work until a certain threshold and then fail badly.

I'd be the first to tell you to get a cheap HDMI cable and ignore the hype about expensive ones if we were talking about 2-3 metre cable from say a blu-ray player to the TV, but in the case of 5 metres + things get a lot trickier. VGA has distance issues also.

trig42
28-05-2012, 05:24 PM
And, VGA cables have a big square plug which is pretty hard to pull through walls.
Look into Baluns - VGA extenders over Cat5.

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Yeah I'd opt for a VGA extender over CAT5 myself if it was going anything more than a few meters. Keeping in mind that CAT5 has a limitation on distance as well, but nothing more than the average kiwi home can't handle ;)

stratex5
28-05-2012, 07:55 PM
The vga cable wont need to go more than 10m around a room. Will this be an issue?

BBCmicro
28-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Now's your excuse to upgrade to Ivy Bridge!

It brings WiDi to the desktop. (transmits the screen over your network)

Of course, you'll have the expense of the remote unit as well...

stratex5
28-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Will WiDi use my broadband? And if so how much?

BBCmicro
28-05-2012, 09:51 PM
WiDi only uses your local network so it wouldn't affect monthly allowance. But it could affect other simultaneous uses of the local network

I don't have any personal experience of WiDi. I was hoping somebody else would take the plunge!

(Our daughter bought a 11.6" netbook in Jan - HP Pavilion DM1_4015TU - and to my surprise it has WiDi. She could make use of this, but I want to know about the quality before recommending it)

stratex5
28-05-2012, 09:57 PM
It will require a special monitor wont it?Or does it just need the reciever

The Error Guy
28-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Special receiving hardware, the hardware will output standard video signals to the monitor. I'm guessing it will support VGA/HDMI off the block, maybe Composite?

Google for more info

imo easier to get CAT5/VGA. Will work with current and new hardware and is cheaper.

Greven
29-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Widi receivers are HDMI only I think & they are ridiculously expensive.

Don't bother with VGA unless your TV or computer doesn't have HDMI. You can get powered adaptors to run HDMI over CAT5/6. I think Jaycar sells them.