PDA

View Full Version : Email

Bryden
26-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Should have asked here - I can receive email but not send it - get an error message about SSL.... where should I check first please? This is the message I get -

The server does not support a SSL connection.

Subject 'Test'
Server Error: 250
Server Response: 250 SIZE 20971520
Server: 'smtp.xtra.co.nz'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC7D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): Yes

Rod J
26-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Try changing the SMTP settings to:

send.xtra.co.nz

Bryden
26-05-2012, 04:44 PM
I feel soooooooooooooooooooo dumb..... where the heck do I find the outgoing mail server to change it to send.xtra.co.nz please.... I hate having to work my way around a new (to me) OS.....

Bryden
26-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Woops - finally found the place to change to send.xtra.co.nz but that didn't fix it.... guess I might phone the helpline at Xtra.... if it was wine time I am sure this would go more smoothly.... sigh

Rod J
26-05-2012, 05:36 PM
The only thing I can think of might be that your anti-virus/firewall settings might be blocking the email.

Bryden
26-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Phoned Xtra - they were great.... had to change some of the settings (port numbers) for the Xtra servers..... at present all is fine.... I am considering installing OE as I am so familiar with that, and Xtra say that it will work with W7....

Rod J
26-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Great ... glad you got it sorted.

Although it is still supported, MS Outlook Express is getting a bit long in the tooth. http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2578

Greven
26-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Outlook Express isn't a program you can install - it is included in the operating system, and Microsoft chose to no longer include it so you can not run Outlook Express on Windows 7.

I think there are some good skins for Thunderbird that make it look just like Outlook Express, but I personally prefer the look of Windows Live Mail. I recommend going into the live mail settings & turn off the convert to photo message option in the compose tab.

lakewoodlady
26-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Outlook Express isn't a program you can install - it is included in the operating system, and Microsoft chose to no longer include it so you can not run Outlook Express on Windows 7.

I think there are some good skins for Thunderbird that make it look just like Outlook Express, but I personally prefer the look of Windows Live Mail. I recommend going into the live mail settings & turn off the convert to photo message option in the compose tab.

+1 for that, you cannot put OE on win 7

LL

pctek
27-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Secure(SSL): Yes
Turn that off.

mzee
27-05-2012, 02:26 PM
+1 for that, you cannot put OE on win 7

LL
Not quite true :-)
Outlook Express is included with some versions of Microsoft Office.

Greven
27-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Not quite true :-)
Outlook Express is included with some versions of Microsoft Office.

MS Outlook is included with Office - completely different program