PDA

View Full Version : Best build for Battlefield 3 low budget-high

PC builder
26-05-2012, 12:01 AM
I need some suggestions Atm looking at my siggy i think its time for me to upgrade i havent been able to play 1 full game of bf3 and most of the time I lagg too much i cant even join a game.

Looking from anything between $400-1k

Also was the AMD Bulldozer really an epic fail? A classmate told me to go Intel.

All advice is appreciated Cheers.
Also any good stores/sites is helpful. I am in chch

icow
26-05-2012, 12:36 AM
I have a friend who has a computer with a 6770 runs bf3 on med - high. That's like a $100 gfx card second hand. Just sold a 460GTX, runs bf3 on high(est?) 1920x1080 30-40fps no probs. Bulldozer was no where near as much of a fail as people make it out to be (intel fanboys love to rub it in). Yeah they weren't great but the phenom II's largely out perform them or match them in games (which aren't very cpu heavy at all generally). on a $400 to 1k budget you're going to have to go AMD or try and find a i3 2100 (best budget intel option imo, severely underrated). Any remotely new quad core can run every game today (in talking core 2 duo/quad era).

I'm thinking a:
FX4100 $170
$70-$90 AM3+ Mobo (Asus preferably)
$100 Antec 560w PSU (or corsair does 500w for $99)
$40 4GB DDR3
ATi 7770 $200 (same performance as a 460GTX basically)
Reuse your case, dvd drive, os and HDD(s)

Not a bad way to spend $600ish

Sites you say?
elive.co.nz
pp.co.nz
computerlounge.co.nz
playtech.co.nz
ascent.co.nz

PC builder
26-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Thanks for quick reply! Recently upgraded my PSU to a NRP-PC602 600w.Is it enough? and the PSU was purchased over-seas so im not sure about the brand.

dugimodo
26-05-2012, 02:24 AM
If you want to go as cheap as possible look for a 2nd hand phenom II and stick it in your current board, check the MB website for compatibility first but in many cases a BIOS update is all that's needed.
A friends son went from a Athlon 5200+ to a Phenom 2 X3 720 for $70 off trademe and it made a huge difference. Rage was unplayable before the upgrade and now it's fine. One of AMDs advantages is they stuck with the same socket for quite a while.
If yours is AM2+ or AM3 you should be able to upgrade it. Add the 7770 to it and there's some life to squeeze out of it yet.

On that note I have an Athlon 5200+ CPU doing nothing if anyone in Hamilton wants it, freebie to anyone who collects it.

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2012, 08:52 AM
I think the prob with the bulldozer cpus was Win7 couldnt detect all its threads or something. MS did bring out a fix, but pulled it, because (I think) it made it worse last year. But, I think 2 fixes/updates are out for it now. KB2645594, and KB2646060. But, from what I've read online, both of them dont speed things up a lot. The original fix was meant to speed things up by 40% or something. It didnt. There was only a 1-2% speed difference

Slankydudl
26-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Probably because most people dont use 8 cores for anything.

icow
26-05-2012, 01:53 PM
The problem with bulldozer was that it had some odd thread to core setup or something that windows didn't like because of the way windows currently manages threads and what not. Apparently windows 8 uses a slightly different system which should be in favour of the bulldozer cpu's. Problem is that is a little late for AMD, they have already pulled out of the high end cpu market.

@OP: Your PSU is Xigmatek. Haven't heard of it. Generally the best/most trusted brands are: Corsair, Antec, Enermax and Silverstone. TechRadar gave your PSU 4/5 and said it had decent performance so running the GPU shouldn't be a problem. The concern would be how long the PSU lasts under load from the graphics card e.g. does it use cheap capacitors. I can't say anything for the quality of Xigmatek, in short yes it should run the card but seeing as its hard to tell as to the quality of the PSU then it's your risk if you choose to use it on your components.

PC builder
26-05-2012, 07:48 PM
If you want to go as cheap as possible look for a 2nd hand phenom II and stick it in your current board, check the MB website for compatibility first but in many cases a BIOS update is all that's needed.
A friends son went from a Athlon 5200+ to a Phenom 2 X3 720 for $70 off trademe and it made a huge difference. Rage was unplayable before the upgrade and now it's fine. One of AMDs advantages is they stuck with the same socket for quite a while.
If yours is AM2+ or AM3 you should be able to upgrade it. Add the 7770 to it and there's some life to squeeze out of it yet.

On that note I have an Athlon 5200+ CPU doing nothing if anyone in Hamilton wants it, freebie to anyone who collects it.
:/ my motherboard is old am2, it also takes about 15 secs to go into post after i put in the graphics card. I upgraded the PSU thinking that was the problem but it seems it was a BIOS error. Seems like there is no BOIS update for my current board as its rev 1.

I think its time for me to upgrade everything.

ChazTheGeek
27-05-2012, 05:18 PM
That's what I'm doing, slowly.

dugimodo
28-05-2012, 10:55 AM
You should be able to build an i3 on an 1155 motherboard for a similar price to the bulldozer build icow posted. It'd be as good or better for games but worse for general multitasking or threaded applications. However the real adavantage is compatibility with i5 and i7 CPUs giving you an upgrade path later and AMD has nothing in that performance category to date (the fastest AMD CPUs match the slowest i5's or fastest i3's on average depending on the task). An i5 wouldn't cost too much more.

AMD still make good CPUs and you can certainly build a game machine around them if you wish, but intel really hold the performance crown by a wide margin at the moment, and no signs of anything changing in the near future. The piledriver based CPUs that have been tested so far show reasonable improvements over bulldozer but still don't approach i5 levels of performance.

SolMiester
28-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Dont understand how we never get LCD resolution sizes when asking for new GPU advice...

These benchmarks are with the latest i7, so an AMD CPU will produce perhaps 70-85% of these values....if at 1080, you have a good list of GPUs to choose from..

ChazTheGeek
28-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Not bad.....the 7970 is gooood. When is the 7990 coming??

icow
28-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Idk, not that it matters. It will probably be just two 7970 gpus. Which is kind of average really. ATi needs to step there game up when it comes to the 7 series high end cards. I feel as if a 690 will probably out do a 7990. The thing I'm waiting for is a new zealand series gpu.

ChazTheGeek
28-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I feel that too. The 690 is extraordinary. AMD/ATi are always getting beaten by their competitors. Why can't they do better???????

icow
28-05-2012, 08:32 PM
No not really. 5970 was amazing and so was the 4870x2. 6990 was equal with the 590 as well.

ChazTheGeek
28-05-2012, 09:53 PM
True.