PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone having probs with this annoying www.google-analytics.com and eloqua.com

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Hanging firefox sometimes, when you try to go to this forum, that google link keeps waiting. This forum seems to be the only site (I go to), that that google link decides to load with.

If I use IE, it loads straight away (I had to use IE to post this). I have to quit FF a few times, before this forum will load properly

I added that google site to the hosts file last night, and MSSE decided to delete it. It thought the hosts file was being hijacked

Terry Porritt
24-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I use MVPS HOSTS file from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm and I think www.google-analytics.com was included unless I added it sometime later. MSSE has not disabled it in my case.

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Ive heard of that before, but (from what Ive read) you shouldnt add too many to the hosts file. It can slow a browser right down

v13
30-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Install the "Ghostery" addon

Agent_24
30-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Ive heard of that before, but (from what Ive read) you shouldnt add too many to the hosts file. It can slow a browser right down

I use SpyBot which adds a heck of a lot of entries to the hosts file. Haven't seen any degradation of any browser performance.

Chilling_Silence
30-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Nah you can add tons and it should be fine. It's the OS that ought to be checking the hosts file before going out for DNS, not the browser.

Anyways, it's probably DNS-related (Or firewall / blocking-related), who do you use for DNS?

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I use the routers ip. Dont use a firewall, besides windows and the router's firewall. Sometimes that google link comes up, sometimes it doesnt

Chilling_Silence
30-05-2012, 10:04 PM
So the router uses your ISP then. Try something alternative, give OpenDNS or Google DNS a shot for a day and see how you go?

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2012, 10:14 PM
I found if I used 8.8.8.8 or whatever googles dns server ips are, windowsupdate wouldnt work. It hung. So, I wont be using those

Chilling_Silence
30-05-2012, 11:05 PM
When did you last use that? Recently? And it resolved the issue with the two websites in the subject line?

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2012, 11:06 PM
I tried googles dns ips last week. It fixed the prob in the topic. But I couldnt get updates. The updates appeared, but wouldnt download. As soon as I changed the dns server ips to the router or telstra's the updates downloaded.

Chilling_Silence
31-05-2012, 09:10 AM
OK cool so try OpenDNS then, coz that sounds like it's Telstras DNS that's failing you (Considering the router will purely be forwarding to the DHCP-assigned DNS servers it gets from Telstra when they give you an IP).