PDA

View Full Version : Orcon Genius VOIP

Terry Porritt
24-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Bye bye Telecom....hello Genius.

I ordered Genius last Friday afternoon. The modem and handset arrived next morning at 8am....fast :)

Today the phone number was finally ported, I think Telecom may have dragged their heels a bit.

I disconnected the phone jack wiring from the incoming phone lines at the junction box in the roof (had a 'splitter' up there and cat 5 to the modem jack point) and used the house phone wiring as an extension lead for a DECT cordless phone to plug into.

The whole system seems to work well. Phone calls are clear as crystal and do not seem to interfere with streaming audio.

Modem sync rate is a little bit higher than with a Linksys AG300, but probably not significantly so, getting 14000kbs as against 13900kbs.

So far all is sunshine :clap

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Not bad huh? Just changed my parents over to it (I'm on the Genius plan but I have my own number with 2talk and I'm not using their router). It's great to see they've got the remote provisioning sussed so it works well, they've done a surprisingly good job with it overall!

In fact AFAIK they do some QoS on the router for SIP calls so it won't choke when you upload a large picture to facebook / email.. which is choice!!

adslgeek
25-05-2012, 11:57 AM
They had a fair bit of complaints when it first rolled out, but I never heard what the issues were about - sounds like they have been cleaned up so that is great to hear. Love those Orcon guys!

Chilling_Silence
25-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah I had a *terrible* migration to them, but I wonder how much of that is coz I wanted to use my own router. Also doesn't help that Chorus are just too damn quick and the router hadn't arrived by the time I was cut over. I mentioned it a bit in a blog post (Second heading about the switch to Orcon): http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/more-router-reliability-musings/

All in all though, it went completely seamlessly for my parents, they couldn't be happier! They were on their "Best deal ever" plan previously and consistently blowing their 35-odd GB allowance (Still a couple of sibblings at home).
Now, they get 200GB, for less, and the auto-provisioning stuff in the router worked brilliantly, they're thrilled with it. It's exactly what this country needs to help move people to Naked DSL. They've done well (for the better part) :D

gary67
25-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Yeah I had a *terrible* migration to them, but I wonder how much of that is coz I wanted to use my own router. Also doesn't help that Chorus are just too damn quick and the router hadn't arrived by the time I was cut over. I mentioned it a bit in a blog post (Second heading about the switch to Orcon): http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/more-router-reliability-musings/

All in all though, it went completely seamlessly for my parents, they couldn't be happier! They were on their "Best deal ever" plan previously and consistently blowing their 35-odd GB allowance (Still a couple of sibblings at home).
Now, they get 200GB, for less, and the auto-provisioning stuff in the router worked brilliantly, they're thrilled with it. It's exactly what this country needs to help move people to Naked DSL. They've done well (for the better part) :D

It's hard to get people to move from a physical phone on a copper wire though. I have seriously thought about it but we get a few power cuts each year and we don't have our computers on 24/7. So with my family being overseas I quite like having a phone still as I can't expect my folks to call from England to my cell

paulw
25-05-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm still on Orcon ADSL but refuse to use genius after a disastrous 9 months on a Orcon LLU fone line. I'll stick to analog until Telecom comes along with a IP solution.. There would be a riot in the house if I changed..

I also have a second IP line on 2Talk which seems to work most of the time..

Chilling_Silence
25-05-2012, 02:17 PM
You'd be surprised, we're both on a telecom wholesale line, not Orcon kit in the exchange, so it's a moot point really ;)

Terry Porritt
25-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Well, all is not sunshine, dial tone disappeared and we can't receive incoming calls. Outgoing is OK and also managed to get a call this afternoon after the caller tried twice. However when I asked if he could call back again to test the line the call failed. We lost a couple of calls this morning. When testing with cell phone the Genius rings once then cuts out. Resetting modem doesn't cure problem

So now am awaiting an Orcon engineer to get in touch to sort the problem. I have a hunch there maybe an intermittent fault in the equipment.

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2012, 12:22 AM

mzee
26-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Well, all is not sunshine, dial tone disappeared and we can't receive incoming calls. Outgoing is OK and also managed to get a call this afternoon after the caller tried twice. However when I asked if he could call back again to test the line the call failed. We lost a couple of calls this morning. When testing with cell phone the Genius rings once then cuts out. Resetting modem doesn't cure problem

So now am awaiting an Orcon engineer to get in touch to sort the problem. I have a hunch there maybe an intermittent fault in the equipment.
A very familiar story! I had Genius, all was well for a few months then had the same problems as you have now. I eventually asked them to replace the modem, but no joy. I changed to "Hosting Direct" Naked broadband, and "2talk" for the phone. For two months there has been fast, smooth broadband, and clear reliable phone. Good luck - you will need it!

Nomad
26-05-2012, 01:08 AM
The thing for us about moving from copper line is that - currently it works and the net is okay for us, cost about the same. Sure we don't get caller ID, don't really need that and we have a answering machine not that we get much messages. And of course we don't need to get the tech on the property for a quote, pay and get it done. We have 6 phones around the house we can freely use.

For other people I think it would be good to let Telecom get a full package themselves onto the market and hear their views.

Terry Porritt
26-05-2012, 09:10 AM
'
The WebGui has gone wonky now, each tab option only brings up the same 'Wizard' page. :eek:

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a provisioning error. Do a Factory Reset on the router from your end and it should pull down everything fresh again.

Basically if you're able to make calls, but not receive them, it's usually indicative of port-forwarding gone wrong on the client side, however there shouldn't need to be any if the Genius is doing its thing right.

Terry Porritt
26-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a provisioning error. Do a Factory Reset on the router from your end and it should pull down everything fresh again.

Basically if you're able to make calls, but not receive them, it's usually indicative of port-forwarding gone wrong on the client side, however there shouldn't need to be any if the Genius is doing its thing right.

Having done several resets it gives the impression of faulty hardware. It was ok now it isn't ...ergo, most likely hardware fault.

The technical support yesterday after playing around at their end and getting me to do resets logged a fault with their engineering techs, and now am on the endless wait to receive a cell phone call from them.

mzee
26-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Having done several resets it gives the impression of faulty hardware. It was ok now it isn't ...ergo, most likely hardware fault.

The technical support yesterday after playing around at their end and getting me to do resets logged a fault with their engineering techs, and now am on the endless wait to receive a cell phone call from them.

I am convinced that the problem is the Genius Modem. They have probably given you my one which was faulty (A110VGL401913). They told me that I had a fault in the house wiring. All my hardware is exactly the same (except the modem/router) and works fine with Hosting Direct and 2talk.

Terry Porritt
26-05-2012, 01:26 PM

It's all up and running ok now. For some reason incoming calls were being diverted to the PSTN socket.

The modem webgui is working with Internet Explorer, but for some reason yet to be figured out has taken a dislike to Firefox

So it wasn't a hardware fault after all, thank goodness :)

8ftmetalhaed
26-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Just rang em up, apparently genius is now available at my address... i'll be switching at the first available opportunity, probably just before my exams are done, so if what Chilling predicted happens, it doesn't do so when I need to study.

Terry Porritt
26-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I am convinced that the problem is the Genius Modem. They have probably given you my one which was faulty (A110VGL401913). They told me that I had a fault in the house wiring. All my hardware is exactly the same (except the modem/router) and works fine with Hosting Direct and 2talk.

No. I don't have your modem :)

But as you say it could be faulty, else why would it change its' settings ?

Orcon remotely reloaded the settings and then they were able to phone me, if I understand correctly.

I'll save the current settings to file and then if the same thing happens again, try reloading them.

It is the modem that wont accept Firefox, not any cache problem etc on my part as suggested as a possibility by Orcon, as 3 different computers couldn't properly login to 10.1.1.1 using Firefox.
However installing the IE add-on enables Firefox to login and display the pages correctly.

mzee
27-05-2012, 02:47 PM
I had to use the IE Tab add-on in FFox as well. My modem changed its settings 100's of times. They would reset it and sometimes would pack up after 10 minutes. The broadband was 'spikey' most of the time, but the phone was the main concern. It would ring and there would only be a dial tone when I answered. Sometimes I couldn't get a dial tone, and sometimes it would cut out in mid call. If your broadband is Ok but the phone is not, you could tell them to remove the phone, make it true Naked broadband and then install 2talk. You would have to buy an adapter, available from PC Tech or on Trademe.

Bobh
27-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Just rang em up, apparently genius is now available at my address... i'll be switching at the first available opportunity, probably just before my exams are done, so if what Chilling predicted happens, it doesn't do so when I need to study.

I see that you can now get Orcon Genius at my address in Invercargill. I checked on line yesterday.

8ftmetalhaed
27-05-2012, 09:23 PM
So, pardon the possible thread hijack, but I'm ringing again (edit - tomorrow morning) to ask if they can sign me up. Given that I have exams starting on the 8th, do you guys think it's a good idea? I'm not 100% sure, since my cap rolls over on the 22nd, and when we first signed up they had us without the net for about 2 weeks since I believe they stuck us on the wrong bit of copper.

also edit - I'd be signing up for the 200gb plan on a 12 month contract. I curently pay $107.99 a month for 30gb on the wholesale network, (off contract as rental lease is not fixed term) so clearly anything's better than what I'm getting now.

Terry Porritt
27-05-2012, 09:59 PM
You will mostly likely experience a period of time without phones whilst the "porting" of the phone number over to Orcon takes place from whom you are with now.
In my case I ordered on the Friday, got the modem next day and also lost ability to receive calls, though I could phone out with analogue phone. I could get internet, but I was already an Orcon customer.

The number wasn't ported until the following thursday when everything was good, until it went wrong the next day Friday. It was put right on Saturday, yesterday.

You want to decide whether you could handle hassles like that in the middle of exams without freaking out :)

Edit: If Orcon don't match Telecom's plans, then there is going to be mass exodus.

I asked Orcon to match Telecom's 30GB $85 plan but they refused. I wasn't that keen to go back to Telecom after all the mess ups and lies with Go Large.

8ftmetalhaed
27-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't think no phone number would be too much of an issue. Currently with orcon myself but I believe I'm being resold telecom's service, so I'm not sure how that would work out.

but yes I'd be concerned about 1- double paying bills and 2- having issues during exams, though if I nabbed previous exam papers and all the lecture notes before the switch I should be ok.

Also they keep insisting that I use their modem, but chilling's blog says I can use my netcomm one. I'd prefer to use mine, but if necessary I suppose I could use theirs and then use mine to get my xbox and other wired devices online.

This all said assuming I CAN actually get genius. As I say, I moved here thinking I could only to find out I couldn't. But then that was last year now.

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2012, 10:41 AM
If that's the case there will be zero "down time" with respect to porting coz Orcon are already doing all the routing for your number, there will just be a period of time where it goes to Voicemail when they change you from standard DSL to Naked DSL until you pop the new Genius router in. However, that's presuming you use their router. If you don't then your number just goes to Voicemail. They'll keep your existing number you have with them.

Keep in mind it's an 18 month contract for the "Lite" without a phone, or 24 months for the "standard Genius" with a cordless phone included.

You *can* use your own router, but again you'd potentially lose the ability to have your phone with them, I'm honestly not sure how keen they are on having a non-standard device (Such as an SPA2102 ATA) attached to their residential SIP side of things. Even their Lite Genius comes with Wifi so for a lot of home users it's actually pretty decent. You can always give their Genius a shot, if you find it's not working then you can ring them and ask for a username override on your account so you can use your own modem.

I've already given them feedback on their %@#$ mess of products, requiring you to use their router and things, but I guess from keeping support minimal / standardized they've gotta do a few things to cover themselves.... Still... Using your own router without having to sign up for 18 months (Or pay $5 a month to rent theirs) seems pretty obvious if you ask me!

8ftmetalhaed
28-05-2012, 11:54 AM
welp, just signed up. Apparently I won't get swapped till next lot of billing rolls around, which is ok. That'll happen after my exams anyway that means.
I've jumped onto the 24 month plan with 200gb cap for now, simply because 1- don't want to pay for their kit and 2- since the house move is included then that means I can stay with them. Though I might dumb down the data cap later, I figure I'll get any and all my downloading done first and see how much that uses.

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2012, 12:22 PM
24 months means you're getting the "Standard Genius" router which includes their cordless phone.

See how you go for a few weeks with their router, I've actually found it to be semi-decent, though not quite as forgiving of bad line conditions as the NB6Plus4Wn. It's nice coz it's all pre-provisioned though. You in tat south or tat north? I'm just down the road ;-)

8ftmetalhaed
28-05-2012, 12:40 PM
I was in north, now in south. And yeah I know I'll get the standard setup, I'll keep using my nbplus as I say, but probably have it bridged with the genius one to get my xbox online or something. If it turns out the genius one hates my lines, I'll just have to look into an IP phone, or see if it's possible to bridge the two routers and plug the phone into the genius one while using the netcomm for the net.

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Actually that's not a bad point, they've recently changed Port 4 I believe to be a secondary "WAN" port in anticipation of FTTH, so you can chat with them later if it's not working out using it as a router, about using it just as a VoIP adapter :)

8ftmetalhaed
29-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Alright picked up the router today, courier left a card to call when mum was home. Sheesh.
We did get a text last night saying (despite what the signup chick said about not till end of this month's billing period) that it'd be actioned on the 31st, so I guess we'll see. If I have 200 gig to play with before the end of exams that'd be pretty cool.

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2012, 08:10 PM
200GB to use by the 22nd! :D

8ftmetalhaed
29-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Well that's when my current 30 is supposed to run out. I'm wondering how that's going to work exactly if they do change me early.

xmojo1
02-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Being a long-time Orcon customer, I've been receiving their offer to switch to Genius plan, but I have several concerns about the setup and how it will affect/disrupt my current setup. My current computer and phone setup is:

3 routers, two of which are provided by my wife's workplace IT people so that she has access to her workplace's servers via VPN. My original router provides IP addresses for our home PCs (2 PCs are connected to the router by cables, 2 PCs connected by wireless); the workplace routers are the VPN and a wireless router for my wife to work wirelessly on her laptop. The four PCs are located in the same room as the 3 routers.

Phones: 3 cordless phones located around the house, 1 in the computer room, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in a bedroom. Not sure if the existing phones would work with the Genius modem, I take it I will only know when I receive the modem?

The other concerns would be the two PCs that are cabled to the router. Would I have to install wireless network cards into these two PCs? Also, the two routers provided by my wife's workplace, is there no provision for connecting these routers to the Genius modem? I envisage putting the Genius modem in the kitchen, and with the routers being in a separate room, I would not fancy having to run a long cable even if the routers could be connected to the modem.

The major concern that is stopping me from switching to Genius is the two routers that allow my wife to VPN to her workplace. If a working solution to this setup can't be resolved I don't think I can make the switch. Also, I take it the Genius modem assigns IP addresses to all connected devices?

I would contact Orcon about these concerns, but I'd like to hear from people on F1 who have Genius installed and how, if they have a similar setup to mine, they addressed any issues.

Nomad
02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Not sure on some of the complicated stuff but afaik the Genius box has one RJ11 on the machine, so if you have a cordless phone system that has 3 handsets that would work but if you have other phones they may not work. I heard some people re-route the telephone wire back into the Genius box with ATA(s). So that might work.

The Genius ha a few RJ45 ports :confused:if it is going to be in the kitchen either wireless or a long long cable or rip walls down to install in them :lol: That is why we are using full wireless now. Router in the living room RJ45 to Xbox, no LCD/Plasma yet (still CRT, still works). All computers are Wifi. Router used to be in my room but I could hear the buzzing sound while sleeping so every night had to turn on/off and hope no one needs to use it before I got up... (but I do get up earlier than most). Haven't gone to Genius but have looked at them and call then on one or two occasions.

Nomad
02-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Well that's when my current 30 is supposed to run out. I'm wondering how that's going to work exactly if they do change me early.

If you change over earlier and not in a contract, some ISPs may give you a partial credit/refund.

(but you may need to ring them on the day when you are transferred, so they can action it, some may also say that you need to give 30 days notice).

8ftmetalhaed
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah that's apparently going to happen, looks like my bill might be 20 bucks more than usual though, what with the courier costs and such. We'll see. edit - this month's bill.

It's working great so far. They ported my number yesterday and today I'm going to eat some of the 200gb updating vista which as I type is booting into a newly recovered setup.

mzee
05-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I used Genius for about 6 months. So long as your phones are cordless you can plug them into Genius, you can also plug a corded phone into a double adaptor. You can connect Genius to other routers/switches in another room via the house mains wiring. The adapters are available at PCtech.

Chilling_Silence
05-06-2012, 05:42 PM
You can plug normal corded phones in to the Genius router too?

Nomad
05-06-2012, 07:22 PM
You can plug normal corded phones in to the Genius router too?

AFAIK. I heard that a CSR from Orcon said they had to be cordless Dtec phones but that might be the router issued in AU.
Could also get a tech to re-route the lines back into the Genius so you can continue to use your many phone jacks around the house also.

Chilling_Silence
06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
The Orcon tech didn't know what they were on about. All the routers come from Australia, they're a rebadged version of an aussie router. You can plug any regular phone into the Genius router just fine.