PDA

View Full Version : Partition software

PinoyKiw
24-05-2012, 09:05 AM
After our recent bad experience with Partition Magic, though it was by no means the most recent version which caused all the problems, what free partition software is there out there that F1 members would suggest from personal experience.

Must be compatible with Toshiba laptops, most are now running Windows 7 Professional 64bit though we still have a handful of Toshiba's still running WinXP Pro 64bit as well and a couple of soon to be retired Toshiba's running Win98.

Some still have the factory reinstall partition while others have been totally wiped over and installed from a stand alone Windows DVD. We tend to leave it upto each end user how they partition there drives rather than a one size fits all so the partition software will need to be able to run on existing systems rather than doing it during format and install, think last time I did it that way was back in the days of Win98/ME.

Any suggestions based on experience.

kjaada
24-05-2012, 09:24 AM
You could use a Puppy linux live CD which has Gparted partition manager on it.
Or you could use Gparted live cd.Puppy is also usefull for all sorts of other tasks.

gary67
24-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Active@ is very good about $50US and does work with Win7 whereas a lot don't

24-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Easus Partition manger. Is/was free.
Easy to use, I used it here a few times.

http://www.partition-tool.com/

trig42
24-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Easus Partition manger. Is/was free.
Easy to use, I used it here a few times.

http://www.partition-tool.com/
I have used this, works well (even on 64 Bit).

mikebartnz
24-05-2012, 12:16 PM
PartedMagic which uses GParted and has other useful programs on the Linux live CD. It's free and don't be put off because you don't know Linux as it is easy to use.

PinoyKiw
24-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks all for the replies, will explore each option over the following days and settle on which one to replace PM with.

Thanks

gary67
24-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Just as an aside active@ is what Wainuitech advised to me as it is what he uses for his business I believe

wainuitech
24-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I use active@ for imaging and backups, but use Acronis Disk Director 11 for any partitioning work. It allows the option to make bootable CD's either normal boot or from within WinPE.

The WinPE version works a lot better than the usual boot method as it will see most drives, where as the usual bootable one sometimes wont. Have not tried it on SSD drives yet.

Some Partitioning software doesn't like a 64Bit OS and can cause problems.