PDA

View Full Version : Kindle keyboard, have no wifi, no 3g how to upgrade version manually?aaahhh

minniedodd
23-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Hi there,

I just purchased a Kindle keyboard refurbished model, i dont have wifi or 3g( I have broadband though:clap) I have worked out how to download books manually through usb, but
how do you upgrade the kindle version without wifi and how to you download pending notifications that normally would download through wifi when you connect?

Thank you

stratex5
23-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Try amazon.com as said here:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153450

dugimodo
23-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Do you really need to update? I have the basic model without a keyboard and it just works. Even though I do have wi-fi I leave it turned off almost all the time to save the battery.

lakewoodlady
23-05-2012, 01:18 PM
I think he/she means they doesn't have a wireless router.

LL

stratex5
23-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Then why would he/she say:

i dont have wifi or 3g( I have broadband though )

stratex5
23-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Then why would he/she say:

Or do you mean wireless router/modem?

dugimodo
23-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah I got the same from that LL, what I meant was I do have wi-fi at my place but with my kindle I don't actually use it anyway. Unless there is some need to update to make something work why not just carry on as is and not worry about it. I find it easier to buy boooks through the pc and transfer via USB anyway, the kindle is great at reading books but not so great for browsing and purchasing them.

Zippity
23-05-2012, 04:45 PM
the kindle is great at reading books but not so great for browsing and purchasing them.

Do you have an Amazon account already set up for buying "online"??

I experience no difficulty downloading new e-books from Amazon via wireless to my Kindle Touch :)

I'm not 100% sure if Kindle for PC allows downloading and online purchasing.

user
23-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Search the Amazon site as it tells you what to do step by step. I have upgraded my kindle by this means. It involves copying a file to your computer and then to your kindle and then using the options on the kindle to initiate the upgrade.

trig42
23-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Getting books onto the Kindle via whispernet is the easiest way to do it.
You do need WiFi at your house (or anywhere else for that matter). Once you have purchased a book from Amazon it just appears on the Kindle. No cables, file explorers or anything.
I just turn the wireless on the Kindle off after it has loaded the new book. Easy.
To the OP, do you have a wireless router?

dugimodo
23-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Straying a bit off topic here. My kindle is the base model, no touch, no keyboard, which makes it a nuisance to type in stuff you are looking for or to navigate on so I don't. I use my smartphone or my tablet or the PC app to find and purchase the books, but I read them on the kindle. I've done it all 3 ways, and synced the kindle both wirelessly and via USB. It all works easily enough.

The point I was originally trying to make was if everything is working as is then don't worry about updating, or to use the cliche "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
If the OP wants to make life easy he could always get a wireless access point, they're cheap enough.

lakewoodlady
23-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Now I am confused, so I'll just stay out of this conversation. Maybe I misunderstood when I posted.

LL.

user
23-05-2012, 09:49 PM
From the Amazon website...

After you have downloaded your update file to your computer...

Transfer software to your Kindle Keyboard: Turn your Kindle Keyboard on and connect it to your computer using the USB cable. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer to the root Kindle drive. (The drive contains a number of folders - such as "audible," "documents," and "music" - and is typically displayed as a "device" icon).

Monitor file transfer and disconnect: Check your file transfer progress to ensure file transfer to your Kindle Keyboard is complete before disconnecting. After the file has transferred successfully, eject the Kindle to safely disconnect Kindle Keyboard from your computer. Disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle Keyboard and your computer.
Start the software update: Go to the Home screen, press the Menu key, and select "Settings." Press the Menu key again, and then select "Update Your Kindle." (This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.) Select "Ok" when prompted if you want to perform an update. Your Kindle Keyboard will restart twice during the update. After the first restart, you will see "Your Kindle is Updating".
Once the update is complete: Your Kindle Keyboard will automatically restart a second time. When you go to the Settings page, you should notice Version: Kindle 3.3 at the bottom of the screen. Once you see this, you know your update is complete.

minniedodd
27-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Hi

Thanks everyone for replies!!! Yes thats true about updating the version...that I probably dont really need to, it is just without all the updates and not having wifi or 3g, it takes the fun/novelty out of it a bit.
But I will try and do it manually if I need to.

Again thanks